Quantcast
Official Beer Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Beer Thread

Default Official Beer Thread

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Default Re: Official Beer Thread

Originally posted by Cos

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Kickass beer fridge man, how the hell did you get it transparent all the way around?

Jokes aside, I look forward to lurking this thread for new stuff to try.

Your collab with another beyonder makes me think we should pool some resources and get a local Calgary brewer to construct a beyond.ca special edition beer.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Big craft fan, I dabbled in brewing beer, I didn't enjoy my first creation so I stopped. I did enjoy the wine I made way better so I am going to touch on that again shortly

My Ride
    something green

I am a big Belgian Wit fan, I often stop at different stores just to look for brands I haven't had yet. A few have disappointed, but not many.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

what's the ballpark price for a batch of beer? Anyone feel like brewing up a wit or lager for the sumemr months?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default Re: Official Beer Thread

Originally posted by Cos
    So just realized that Beyond doesn't have an official beer thread.
    I guess not beer aficionado threads but we did have these:

this one went on for 8 years lol

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=360932

I am a pretty serious home brewer. I brew all-grain and have lost count long ago on how many batches I've done. everything from 5 gallon batches of hefeweizen and IPAs, to 55 gallon batches of barrel aged beer. I created my own temperature controlled fermentation chamber at home where I can control the temp within 0.1 degree celsius, I always use a yeast starter to control my yeast pitch and health, I dry hop, keg, bottle condition, you name it, so if anyone has any brewing related questions I would love nothing more than to share my nerdy knowledge that none of my friends or family ever want to hear about.

I first got into beer about 8 years ago when i went to Belgium with my wife to visit her family (she's Belgian) and seeing how they treat and experience beer there just instantly converted me for life.

anyway, I can talk beer and/or brewing for hours. could get the conversation rolling with maybe a brief survey if anyone is interested:

1) favorite beer style

2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2)

3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world)

4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made?

5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up)

ok maybe i'm too excited about this........

here's mine...

1) favorite beer style: probably barrel aged imperial stouts

2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2): Deschutes The Abyss and Block 15 Sticky Hands (something I had in Portland that's similar to Pliney the Elder)

3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world): A) probably beer revolution due to the ever-changing beer menu, B) Portland hands down

4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made? Probably my Black IPA that I've done a couple times, I call it Fear of the Dark.

5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up). I want a beer that tastes just like a Double IPA (think Pliney or even Phillips Amnesiac) but is like 4-5% ABV. I've tried and I am not sure if it's possible. but I'll keep trying.

Originally posted by timdog
    I am a pretty serious home brewer. I brew all-grain and have lost count long ago on how many batches I've done. everything from 5 gallon batches of hefeweizen and IPAs, to 55 gallon batches of barrel aged beer. I created my own temperature controlled fermentation chamber at home where I can control the temp within 0.1 degree celsius, I always use a yeast starter to control my yeast pitch and health, I dry hop, keg, bottle condition, you name it, so if anyone has any brewing related questions I would love nothing more than to share my nerdy knowledge that none of my friends or family ever want to hear about.

I first got into beer about 8 years ago when i went to Belgium with my wife to visit her family (she's Belgian) and seeing how they treat and experience beer there just instantly converted me for life.

anyway, I can talk beer and/or brewing for hours. could get the conversation rolling with maybe a brief survey if anyone is interested:

1) favorite beer style

2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2)

3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world)

4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made?

5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up)

ok maybe i'm too excited about this........
    1) Belgian Lambic/Krieks/Sours
    2) New Belgium Brewing - Lafolie (Shit cost like $20 for a bomber!)

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/detai...c-4436f5dc8fa8
    SO fucking good.

3) Fort Collins, CO
    4) Never brewed
    5) Trying to find more lambics/krieks locally, in Colorado I could find them easily. Proving to be hard in Canada, specially on draft =(

nice man! not alot of sour lovers around. i got a tour of the new belgium brewery, it was pretty sweet. they brought us to the barrel room and we sampled some La Folie too. Fort Collins is a wicked town. Luckily for me, I go there for work a few times a year so I always bring back a buttload in my suitcase, haha. There is this sour brewery in portland called Cascade Barrel House, you would love it.

Default Re: Re: Official Beer Thread

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.

more on homebrewing cost, for all-grain brewing you are looking at $300 minimum for equipment, but of course you can spend thousands. but then brewing directly from the grain instead of using extract is usually cheaper. for a beer with little hops, I can make about 60 bottles of beer for less than 50 bucks, and then the most I would spend if its a high alcohol and very hoppy beer is maybe $90. so I'm looking at anywhere between 85 cents and $1.50 per beer.
    not to mention you are really in full control of your brewing and the outcome of your beer with all-grain (for better or worse)

My Ride
    01 i30

here's mine...

1) favorite beer style: probably barrel aged imperial stouts

2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2): Deschutes The Abyss and Block 15 Sticky Hands (something I had in Portland that's similar to Pliney the Elder)

3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world): A) probably beer revolution due to the ever-changing beer menu, B) Portland hands down

4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made? Probably my Black IPA that I've done a couple times, I call it Fear of the Dark.

5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up). I want a beer that tastes just like a Double IPA (think Pliney or even Phillips Amnesiac) but is like 4-5% ABV. I've tried and I am not sure if it's possible. but I'll keep trying.
    Have you tried Paddock Wood's double IPA Loki? I've never gotten my hands on a Pliney the Elder, but I like Loki more then Amnesiac.

I got one of those Brooklyn Brew shop kits for Christmas and it was fun but a lot of work for 8-10 beers. I think if I was to do it again I'd just get one of those big add water kits.

Yeah I've tried Double Loki, it's damn good!
    agreed that those small kits can be a bit of a waste of time. Not worth the effort. get a full size 5-6 gallon setup and start with the kits like you said. once you are a bit more comfortable with the process you can start modifying the kits to your liking, then start modifying more and more from there if you are still into it.

nice man! not alot of sour lovers around. i got a tour of the new belgium brewery, it was pretty sweet. they brought us to the barrel room and we sampled some La Folie too. Fort Collins is a wicked town. Luckily for me, I go there for work a few times a year so I always bring back a buttload in my suitcase, haha. There is this sour brewery in portland called Cascade Barrel House, you would love it.
    I went to school for 4 years in Fort Collins, I was spoiled to say the least when it comes to beer. Tour de fat is a blast, its a booze and bike ride put together by New Belgium. We would go on brewery tours at least a couple times a week haha, it was our way of drinking for free. We could do New Belgium, Fort Collins Brewery and Odels(sp?) in under 4 hours haha.

I will have to check out Cascade Barrel House, sounds great!

Is there anything like West Coast U Brew in Calgary?http://www.westcoastubrew.com/

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Re: Re: Official Beer Thread

Originally posted by n1zm0

I guess not beer aficionado threads but we did have these:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=360932
    I did try to get that Beer Crew thread going but it fizzled out pretty quickly. Hope this thread has better luck.

I just brought some brewing equipment into Yemen and hope to get into it as a hobby. Lots of logistical issues here as I'll have to use bottled water for everything, including sanitation, and it's difficult to get any supplies in.

We'll see how it goes.

First beer will by my AQ Ale. Guess what the AQ stands for given it's being brewed in Yemen...

My Ride
    '16 Tacoma TRD Sport

commenting to keep track. some may call me an aficionado but I do not consider myself one, least not yet until I make my own brew. Checking out untapped now.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast