Quantcast
A very important program you need to install right now. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A very important program you need to install right now.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

You're vulnerable on either platform if you blindly check boxes and agree to everything. Most people do not have these issues at all - but I can see how it could be useful for some people without any computer experience (regardless of OS) if you don't mind the fact that it collects data.
    "Most people do not have this issue at all"?

Ask any tech that also does residential computer servicing, and they'll tell you that most computers they come across will have at least 1 PUP running, even if the issue was due to something unrelated to the PUP.

if you don't mind the fact that it collects data.
    Why would anyone?

Collecting data is a standard MO for thousands of free programs. If someone is worried about data collecting, then they shouldn't use the internet, period.

Again, Windows, OSX, and search engines like Google, Bing, etc, collect a shit done more data than free programs like Unchecky, and here people are worried about some insignificant data collecting, all the while ignoring the important benefit of this program to the typical end user

My Ride
    06 S2000

I fail to see the point. Any person who understands the need for these, doesn't need it themselves, and as a residential tech, you're essentially robbing yourself of free money.

And if it auto-updates in the background, what's to stop it from becoming a PUP itself over time, especially as the creator starts needing more money to continue development/updates. You'll see it start advertising, charging, or selling information.

Just another waste of HDD space.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    I fail to see the point. Any person who understands the need for these, doesn't need it themselves, and as a residential tech, you're essentially robbing yourself of free money.

And if it auto-updates in the background, what's to stop it from becoming a PUP itself over time, especially as the creator starts needing more money to continue development/updates. You'll see it start advertising, charging, or selling information.

Just another waste of HDD space.
    Wow. Just wow. Everything you just said is wrong.

Did you read all the posts, or just skim through the thread?

My Ride
    rally pig

I don't see any benefit of this either TBH, looking at the video they have on their website, all this program does is uncheck/decline automatically the PUPs when installing a software.

IMO, you're better off training the users and if they still don't learn and it screws up their computer, then learn from their mistake with their wallet.

Relying on a program like this is like a driver relying on a software to park their car

My Ride
    Family Hauler

So can all you IT guys just post a suite of programs that should protect most PC users then? Ill download anything.. to fix what iv done in the past by downloading everything!

For example... How can i thoroughly scan files on old hard drives to make sure they are good to go before putting files on a new computer??

Originally posted by taemo
    I don't see any benefit of this either TBH, looking at the video they have on their website, all this program does is uncheck/decline automatically the PUPs when installing a software.

IMO, you're better off training the users and if they still don't learn and it screws up their computer, then learn from their mistake with their wallet.
    Training them just isn't enough. From experience, most will forget, or not see the more hidden options. Furthermore, training them doesn't take into account other people using the computer.

Bottom line (and I can't believe I'm still having to explain this), is that it's a tiny program that can prevent computer problems for the typical end user.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Seth1968

Man, this thread is a trainwreck. It's basically you saying "everyone needs to download this", and you calling anyone who questions you or disagrees wrong.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thread summary:
    Seth1968: "Everyone needs to download this"
    Beyond.ca: Disagrees
    Seth1968: " Well, not everyone, certainly not anyone who is detail oriented or has training, just typical users"
    Beyond.ca disagrees
    Seth1968: "You guys are idiots, this program is great"
    Beyond.ca: Disagrees
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by Seth1968

Did you read everything I wrote, or just skim through my post?

I'll charge a stupid person over and over to uninstall this crap for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Originally posted by A790

Man, this thread is a trainwreck. It's basically you saying "everyone needs to download this", and you calling anyone who questions you or disagrees wrong.

Ya so, my thread title was a little over the top, as it doesn't mean literally EVERYONE who owns a computer. It means the typical end user.

As far as your last statement goes, I guess we should all stop defending our positions from blatantly wrong statements.

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Did you read everything I wrote, or just skim through my post?

I'll charge a stupid person over and over to uninstall this crap for them.
    Yes, I read everything you wrote and it was all wrong. That includes your position that it would somehow reduce net profit for the tech. I'll elaborate if you want.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 05-01-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I am unclear on how unchecky will make me money in the long run, does it mine for bitcoins while my computer is not being utilized?
    I'm unclear as to whether or not your trying to be sarcastic.

From members of the most renowned computer help forum:

I have it on all my computers; it does very well! Although I always do advanced or custom install, all checkboxes unrelated to the main item are unchecked. And, it even upfronts warns if it believes the install one is about to do may be unwanted.
    Unchecky is a nifty piece of software to deal with all those click-happy people
    No matter how many times I tell people to SLOW DOWN, READ EVERY installation box, UNCHECK everything you are not purposely trying to download, most of them still just click through it all anyway. Then they ask how they got DriverUpdate or Ask Toolbar (for example) when they never downloaded it.
    Then there's this:

MRI images show brains becoming inactive while answering security prompts
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...urity-prompts/

As the go to IT guy for the extended family I could definitely see this helping out with the English illiterate people who download every Chinese PUP filled software out there. They visit me a couple times a year because they are not sure why their computers are performing like crap but the 10 minute boot time waiting for all the pop ups to load and the 20 toolbars in IE didn't ring a bell. You would figure the 4 antivirus programs they installed should of helped..... You can't teach these people, I've tried, it's a waste of time and it's a wipe and renew for them. I will be installing this for them during their next semi annual visit and I DGAF what info is being logged cause it's not my pc . I get paid with cheap cookies and fruit so the less visits the better.
    Last edited by botox; 05-02-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Originally posted by botox
    As the go to IT guy for the extended family I could definitely see this helping out with the English illiterate people who download every Chinese PUP filled software out there. They visit me a couple times a year because they are not sure why their computers are performing like crap but the 10 minute boot time waiting for all the pop ups to load and the 20 toolbars in IE didn't ring a bell. You would figure the 4 antivirus programs they installed should of helped..... You can't teach these people
    THIS!

Good luck teaching them. See my previous post about it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Typical Beyond bandwagoning. Someone posts a helpful, straightforward solution and gets jumped on.

This program appears very useful. There are lots of non-spyware software (freeware) out there that have very complicated check systems, and they've become more sophisticated as of late. Do I need it? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful.

My favourite was the one that grey'd out the PUP checkmark if you unchecked another one, but greying it out kept the checkmark, and was equivalent to allowing the program to install. You had to do a specific sequence to make sure everything was unchecked.

For lots of Beyonders? No problem. But f*&k me, I have some coworkers that have used computers in their work for 20+ years, and every time they have to do anything besides word processing or excel, complete meltdown. And don't even get me started on my parents, my dad I considered quite the computer wiz back in the day, but they get stupid PUP type stuff (or right now, internet explorer is defaulted to some chicken search engine that I can't change away from because they clicked something) all the time.

Thanks Seth, might install this on the parents computer.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Typical Beyond bandwagoning. Someone posts a helpful, straightforward solution and gets jumped on.

This program appears very useful. There are lots of non-spyware software (freeware) out there that have very complicated check systems, and they've become more sophisticated as of late. Do I need it? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful.

My favourite was the one that grey'd out the PUP checkmark if you unchecked another one, but greying it out kept the checkmark, and was equivalent to allowing the program to install. You had to do a specific sequence to make sure everything was unchecked.

For lots of Beyonders? No problem. But f*&k me, I have some coworkers that have used computers in their work for 20+ years, and every time they have to do anything besides word processing or excel, complete meltdown. And don't even get me started on my parents, my dad I considered quite the computer wiz back in the day, but they get stupid PUP type stuff (or right now, internet explorer is defaulted to some chicken search engine that I can't change away from because they clicked something) all the time.

Thanks Seth, might install this on the parents computer.

The thing is, first time I saw the thread I thought it would be a groundbreaking new security program but all it does is uncheck/decline PUPs

How do I keep my parents PC protected?
    Good Antvirus, Malwarebytes and Google Chrome with AdGuard add-on (used to use AdBlock).
    I'm currently testing OpenDNS Home for malware/content filtering for a couple of months now and might setup my parents into it as well as an extra layer of security.
    My parents only had a malware once when my dad was messing around with torrents but since then they learned their lesson.

If you're a Tier 1 user support call, I guess the program Seth recommends can deter annoying PUPs but real malware could potentially still get into their system without consent or awareness.

And I deal with not so computer savy users on a daily basis as well that doesn't even know what a browser is or how to go to a website other than through google
    Last edited by taemo; 05-02-2017 at 02:13 PM.

You're welcome HT.

It's a simple, effective, and valuable utility.

Originally posted by taemo

The thing is, first time I saw the thread I thought it would be a groundbreaking new security program but all it does is uncheck/decline PUPs
    All it does? WTF?

Ask any tech, or go to any malware removal forum and ask the malware pros, "What is by far the most prevalent computer infection?", and they will tell you, "PUPS".

"All it does"

BTW- The rest of your post was irrelevant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast