Quantcast
Garage - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Garage

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

20x20 is very small, I have an attached 19x24 on my house with a 17' door, fitting my Elantra and our Grand Caravan in there is very tight, I have to back in so we both exit on the inside of the garage otherwise there is no room to open the doors. You can just barely pull the van far enough ahead to open the rear hatch but it will still hit the door just before it gets all the way out. It's enough to get things out of there but it is really cramped for sure.

Go oversize, as big as you possibly can, seriously.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

sorry for sounding like a newb.. whats the benefit of having a pony wall with the pad?

Your bottom plate on the walls aren't on the ground and won't rot from the elements, snow melting, etc. Washing garage floor too would cause the wood to rot too.

My Ride
    4x4

Originally posted by ALBERTA_IS
    I built a 30x22. I did everything except most electrical myself. Here's a breakdown:

Pad $6000 no pony wall. Pony wall was an extra $5000!
    Package from totem $6000
    Hardie siding $3000
    Custom doors and windows $2000
    Liftmaster 8500C x2 $1200 installed
    Electrical with 20 pot lights, Cat 6e, and RG6 $2500
    Gas line $1000 with permit
    Eaves $500

Remember I did essentially everything myself except the pad!

AVI wanted $35k with nothing near the customization that I have.

You will pay someone over $10k for labor for a couples days work. I worked with a garage builder on my days off and we built 20x22 in 3 days insulated and 2 walls drywalled. I suggest you do some side work with a garage builder and learn how to do it yourself and pocket the rest! I worked with Derek from Gecko Construction and learnt a ton from him

Hope this helps!

Alex
    Alberta_is' garage isn't exactly standard...

He should post pics

My Ride
    none

Originally posted by freshprince1

Go as big as you can afford. You can never have enough garage space. I have a 21'x23' and I wish I was able to build it larger. I have a pick-up, car, quad and some tools, and it will be a very tight squeeze to get them all in there.
    Don't build as big as you can afford. Build as big as the lot will allow. Beg, borrow or steal the money if you have to. You'll probable only get maybe 24x24. But make sure the builder understands you want the biggest garage that they can build.

My Ride
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet

Originally posted by eblend

Holy fook. I had a pad poured with pony wall for $4500 total for 22x22. It was going to be 4k just for the pad, an extra $500 for the wall. OP, make sure you get a pony wall.

My whole garage cost me roughly 12 to 13k, 22x22 with totem package, vinyl siding, all the down spouts and 220V electrical, with full insulation, drywall and sprayed ceiling.

Some pics of my garage for reference (whatever I could find):

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version
    Did they did down and pour a footing before they poured the pad and pony? If they didn't then that is why it was much cheaper. I had 2 quotes around $5000 for the pony walls.
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet
    2011 Lexus RX 350

My Ride
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet

Originally posted by AndyL

Alberta_is' garage isn't exactly standard...

He should post pics
    Thanks Andy! I plan on posting a mega thread of all my projects as soon as I have some time! So when the snow flies!
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet
    2011 Lexus RX 350

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

My home builder did my detached garage for $21k which included pony wall with footings.

Lol at someone saying $12k

Everyone that quoted mine last year was around $19k (no pony walls) up to $23-24k.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by ALBERTA_IS

Did they did down and pour a footing before they poured the pad and pony? If they didn't then that is why it was much cheaper. I had 2 quotes around $5000 for the pony walls.
    To tell you the truth I don't know. I was there when they ripped my yard apart, but was travelling when the did the pour, so my dad was there to hand off the final cash.

Even if there is no footing, you are looking at 10x the money for the pony wall compared to what I paid, which seems way out there.

As I don't know if mine has it or not, what's the benefit of a footing anyway in this situation, serious question as I don't know. I know my pad was recessed as my lot is slopped slightly so they had to dig a hole to pour.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by eblend
    Even if there is no footing, you are looking at 10x the money for the pony wall compared to what I paid, which seems way out there.

As I don't know if mine has it or not, what's the benefit of a footing anyway in this situation, serious question as I don't know. I know my pad was recessed as my lot is slopped slightly so they had to dig a hole to pour.
    The footing is supposed to help impede frost from going under your slab as well as offer extra support for your walls. What they probably did is just dug down a little bit deeper around the edges to give you a sort of pseudo-footing which is what I have seen done a lot in my area.

Agreed at the on the drastic price increase for a pony wall. My pony wall was only another grand or so on top of the price of the pad. Did they quote you a 4 foot concrete wall? Sounds to me like who ever was giving you the quote either didn't know what they were talking about or took you for a sucka. You're not a sucka are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Been doing some reading on garage pony walls and there are ways to avoid going down below the frost line around here.

Found this article which is a study on frost in Nordic countries. Basically using insulation to reduce how far down you need to dig for the concrete footings.

Long read but found it very informative.
    http://www.huduser.org/portal/public.../FPSFguide.pdf

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:15 PM.

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Anybody temped to build a garage with a secondary suite above it now that it is legal in Calgary?
    i though you couldn't do that can any one do it.
    Built with Chopsticks

^There's quite a few in Elgin from what I've seen.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.

But as far as I know, if you have a basement suite in an R2 area. You're SOL for a garage suite.
    I would if I could.

My Ride
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet

Originally posted by schurchill39

The footing is supposed to help impede frost from going under your slab as well as offer extra support for your walls. What they probably did is just dug down a little bit deeper around the edges to give you a sort of pseudo-footing which is what I have seen done a lot in my area.

Agreed at the on the drastic price increase for a pony wall. My pony wall was only another grand or so on top of the price of the pad. Did they quote you a 4 foot concrete wall? Sounds to me like who ever was giving you the quote either didn't know what they were talking about or took you for a sucka. You're not a sucka are you?
    Both quotes were digging down, building a footing and then the pony wall and then the slab. The slab would essentially be a separate part from the wall. I really didn't need a pony since my elevation is flat. Just put a gasket under the floor plate and I caulked all along the edge so water can't get in. I also have 4+ inches of gravel along the pad for drainage.

As for washing the floor, there will be a 8-12 inch tile boarder once its finished. Although it is designed as a man cave/showroom versus a "typical" garage!
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet
    2011 Lexus RX 350

I'm looking at building a new house that will have a detached garage. The builder will provide a pad with a pony wall to a max of 24'x24' I called the city and anything over 55sq meters requires either footings or an engineered pad.

So, is it worth it to get a credit with the builder and sort out a bigger garage on my own or is 24x24 big enough?

My Ride
    Ford

depends on what yourputting in it. a 4 door truck is usually like 19 feet + if you plan on parking a truck in there make sure it fits.
    i would never do a 20x20 to small
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast