Quantcast
Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice

My Ride
    G37X

I think you need to have the right personality for sure. You can't be a complete psychopath but you can't be afraid to fight if you need to. Calm, rational, logical, strong character and morals. Someone who can be trusted in a drug house surrounded with cash.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    I think you need to have the right personality for sure. You can't be a complete psychopath but you can't be afraid to fight if you need to. Calm, rational, logical, strong character and morals. Someone who can be trusted in a drug house surrounded with cash.
    Calm assertive is a good personality type - if you're one of the 10% of bystanders who don't stand around with bystander effect. you're also good first responder material.

Most good cops also have a switch/trigger where you go from calm to full on fight/defense in 1/2 second. You need to maintain that composure though in some bad situations as once that switch gets pulled, it usually involves needless paperwork. Explaining to your Sarg why you flipped the switch on some clown yelling names at you is no fun.

You avoid provoking a situation as much as possible, but respond with massive force if need to be to defend yourself or the public. Seasoned guys have the switch "wired" for much higher threshold.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-30-2017 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by revelations
    Calm assertive is a good personality type - if you're one of the 10% of bystanders who don't stand around with bystander effect. you're also good first responder material.

Most good cops also have a switch/trigger where you go from calm to full on fight/defense in 1/2 second. You need to maintain that composure though in some bad situations as once that switch gets pulled, it usually involves needless paperwork. Explaining to your Sarg why you flipped the switch on some clown yelling names at you is no fun.

You avoid provoking a situation as much as possible, but respond with massive force if need to be to defend yourself or the public. Seasoned guys have the switch "wired" for much higher threshold.
    Exactly. You're not the dude with his phone out yelling worldstar at the crackhead groping a woman on the c-train.

A good cop should not he unstable enough to switch to flight or fight at all. That is a raw emotional out of control state.

A good cop would always have his full wits about him.

Originally posted by Gestalt
    A good cop should not he unstable enough to switch to flight or fight at all. That is a raw emotional out of control state.

A good cop would always have his full wits about him.
    Making a conscious decision to tactically pull out of a situation, or engage with necessary force, is an example of having control of yourself. Doing it without consideration of the circumstances, lawful placement, authorities, necessity, reasonableness, or acceptable outcomes is a raw emotional state and that is unacceptable. Good police officers can make all those considerations, within a practical and reasonably acceptable manner, within mere moments, and go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye. Those are the type of people revelations is talking about, and I think you're maybe misinterpreting what he is trying to say.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4