Quantcast
Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more! - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by max_boost
    ... or just walk around 17th ave with it
    that was my idea for you

but seriously... i think you could enjoy riding in a different environment.

for me i learned from a buddy in a parking lot how to ride really damn slow without falling off, do circles, etc. then just putting around 50km/h streets... then 80km/h roads (first time shoulder checking at 80km/h i almost pissed myself)

then a week later it was more like "i wonder what speed redline is in 3rd gear on this 750cc super bike"

but yeah. if you want to practice on a nice beginner bike in a parking lot this weekend. i'd meet you somewhere with my bike. super forgiving bike, really easy to control.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Thats a great way to do it. What bike do you have?

To Sam: with Too cool, and a crowd watching you it can kill the fun aspect pretty quick. Not only that but putting around pylons in a parking lot is a good way to get the hang of it, but foolish to think thats anything like typical riding on the street.

After you get the hang of it and really feel comfortable, being able to lean well into cloverleafs and sometimes put your knee down is hella fun.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

its just a little baby buell blast. scratch this weekend though. im not even here

but your shop isnt too far from me, so if you want to we can figure out a time during the week or the weekend after next i should be around

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Personally before riding, I read all the horror stories about people crashing and I was really apprehensive on riding. But after I took a riding course and put on a couple thousand kms, im am quite happy I persued it! I find it has made me more alert and a better driver in a car. I can definately see how it isnt for everyone though.

My Ride
    06 S2000

My dad managed to lay down his bike a week before my course, and broke his shoulder. Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    My dad managed to lay down his bike a week before my course, and broke his shoulder. Awesome.
    It can happen, particular in cases when you least expect it. Sorry to hear. Stay alert out there boys and girls.

My Ride

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    Personally before riding, I read all the horror stories about people crashing and I was really apprehensive on riding. But after I took a riding course and put on a couple thousand kms, im am quite happy I persued it! I find it has made me more alert and a better driver in a car. I can definately see how it isnt for everyone though.
    Hey B-unit, still happy with the Ninja 250? or are you thinking of upgrading to a typical 600 at all any time soon?
    Originally posted by ercchry
    its just a little baby buell blast. scratch this weekend though. im not even here

but your shop isnt too far from me, so if you want to we can figure out a time during the week or the weekend after next i should be around
    Sure man, I'll send you a PM sometime this month, we can swap bikes for a run or whatever.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i was talking about Sam's shop... haha but yeah if you want to do the teaching thing, cool... im not a good teacher

My Ride

^ Ah gotcha. It doesn't matter about that "teaching" thing, I dont really care, what ever Sam wants to do.

I'll trade bikes with all of you because no one wants to ride mine lol

My Ride

^ What do you ride again?

Sv650

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Originally posted by NCS05
    Sv650
    How you like it? I'm a bike newb looking to get into it next year. Is this a bad choice or should I go typical 250?

My Ride

^ Its an excellent choice. Very stable bike, good to learn on and you wont find it lacking power, whereas you'd HAVE to upgrade after a while. Like a 250 (to most) or god forbid a CBR125.

The cool part is, there are lots of race sanctions that have a special SV cup, so its great to learn how to be fast on at the track doing track days to start with. Of course later if you feel very comfortable on it, you can race it in those said SV cups. (For what its worth, just so you know. 99% of riders dont race, even 90%+ of sportbike riders dont do track days.)

I actually love the sv650. A friend of mine got a 250 as her first bike and I ride it quite often when she had it. With that said, I don't regret buying the Sv at all. Very linear powerband with enough to keep you entertained. Can't say anything about the handling well because it's my first bike and I haven't ridden a Supersport bike lol. The ninja is a fun bike when youre turning and not going in a straight line

I have been looking at track days but only track is up in Edmonton. Not willing to ride it up there in case i dont have a ride back. Maybe one day when Calgary has one

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Guys, is there any way to rent a bike somewhere to take the knowledge test WITHOUT enrolling in a school?

(edit: meant to say practical, not knowledge)

I rode for a couple years in BC and a fair bit in other countries (*cough* illegally), now I want to reclassify and obtain my class 6 here in Alberta. My bike is in the states and I'd like to take the test before I'll have it back in Canada.

I'll take MSF this summer, because there are definitely gaps in my knowledge, and I absolutely see the value in professional instruction.

Anyone know of a method to obtain a bike for testing right now?
    Last edited by adamc; 04-16-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    GR STI Hatch

Originally posted by adamc
    Guys, is there any way to rent a bike somewhere to take the knowledge test WITHOUT enrolling in a school?

I rode for a couple years in BC and a fair bit in other countries (*cough* illegally), now I want to reclassify and obtain my class 6 here in Alberta. My bike is in the states and I'd like to take the test before I'll have it back in Canada.

I'll take MSF this summer, because there are definitely gaps in my knowledge, and I absolutely see the value in professional instruction.

Anyone know of a method to obtain a bike for testing right now?
    Most registries offer a rental bike for your road test (30-45 min long). To take the knowledge test, you don't need a bike, you only need one for the road test.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Thanks, edited, meant to say "practical" or "road" rather than knowledge. Just went in and did the knowledge portion last week.

As a follow up; any registries that you guys can recommend that might also provide bike rental?

Thanks
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Mojos registry has a partnership with Too Cool and I think they have a Ninja 250.

thanks! I am looking to get my Class 6 soon

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast