Quantcast
Blinds - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinds

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Many people have wood blinds and I havent heard of this being an issue. I know if you leave your blinds down and closed more condensation will form. I leave mine lifted about 2 inches off the bottom frame to let some air circulate.

I had this problem all winter and my wood blinds are fine. I havent heard of people having this problem due to only the moisture on the window. If you do however leave a window open and it rains they will get a bit of damage on them(From experience). Even then they didnt warp but the paint got a bit of water damage.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by cjblair
    Have you looked into HunterDouglas sheers (or do you want a sheer)? They are somewhat similar to what you posted, and a great product. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Yep, Hunter Douglas makes a blind called Silhouettes, but from all the quotes I have been given, Hunter Douglas is way over priced.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Hunter Douglas is a welcome sight when you go to sell your house.

My Ride
    changes every year

i dont have blinds at all in my house, i havent gotten around to it yet, thats why i was asking because im interested in the wood blinds, i dont understand how the icing is happening so much.

because i have hardwood i need to keep a balance of dry/humid in the house so i cant turn the humidistat all the way down, besides that, even if i did turn it down, it takes a week for it to actually get down to that level.

dont really know what i should do, blinds are on the backburner for now.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Hunter Douglas is a brand name which in some cases offers lower quality and higher prices than other manufacturers. Their shutters for example are super expensive and poorly built compared to other companies that are 30% cheaper.

They do offer some products no one else has due to the many dollars they put towards RnD. If you want something they have exclusively it makes sense to pay the money. If you are looking for a product others offer I would suggest going with a different manufacturer. Quality will be similar but prices will be much better.
    Last edited by Rarasaurus; 03-09-2011 at 12:52 PM.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    Leave your blinds open about 2 inches from the bottom and turn your humidistat to low. That's will get rid of your problem.
    But then the hardwood floors develop cracks.

It's a losing battle. Either I get ice on the windows, which then melts when the sun shines on them, and leaves puddles of water sitting on the window sill (and has made the paint start to bubble), or I turn the humidity off, and I get creaking floors and I can crack starting to develop between the pieces of wood.

My Ride
    V8s

One of the reasons I suggested HunterDouglas is because of their available automation system. Given the fact that it's not cheap, its still a great system. They are expensive, but in my opinion it's worth it. My parents have their automated ones, and love them... the wife and I will be putting them in our house as well. That and the fact that Benyl mentioned... potential home buyers like to see them.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Automation is not just a Hunter Douglas feature and many companies now sell them. The quality motors in North America come from Somfy and are available to many manufacturers. Add the already expensive somfy motors and the mark up with Hunter and you get a blind that is twice as much as companies like Elite.
    Last edited by Rarasaurus; 03-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Haha I know automation isn't exclusive to HunterDouglas.

Like I said before, there are other reasons to get HD as well, one being the potential value when selling my house. Regardless, I'm not an expert on blinds, just threw the idea out there for OP.

Originally posted by Pacman

But then the hardwood floors develop cracks.

You just move the humidistat a little bit lower until the windows stop icing over. Once that happens you know you have found a balance in your house.

My Ride
    changes every year

^^^theres absolutely no way thats going to happen, there is 0 balance at all. when youre at 30% humidity in your house and outside its +5, then the next day its -40 and it takes a week for the humidity to actually go down after you turn your humidistat down, its already changed and you ned to dial it in to another "balance"

the weather is whats doing it, changing the humidistat isnt doing fuck all to help this issue. the best thing ive found is to turn on circulating air(providing you have it) for the day and it seems to melt away pretty good, without touching the humidistat.

totally off topic now, sorry OP.

We have the vienna style shades in our house and absolutely love them. The vienna shades have the big advantage of basically coming in an unlimited size so you don't have to use multiple numbers for one single window. They are more expensive than your traditional wooden blind but so much nicer.

The only thing you are getting with hunter douglas is the name. The products are virtually identical. We had a family friend who runs a company in edmonton do ours and we paid around $4,000 for our entire house.

That covered us for 8 windows. 3 of them are 10'x8' in size so not exactly small.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Thanks Jordan,

Cornel was awesome and his price even more awesome!

He just got another customer.

Best For Less Blinds. For the WIN!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cornell is awesome. I dealt with him on Jordan's reccomendations, and he was fantastic, and amazingly inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Thanks Jordan,

Cornel was awesome and his price even more awesome!

He just got another customer.

Best For Less Blinds. For the WIN!
    Awesome, Glad it worked out, He also stands behind his work, if at any point you have any issues call him and he will take care of it.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by 89coupe

Yep, Hunter Douglas makes a blind called Silhouettes, but from all the quotes I have been given, Hunter Douglas is way over priced.
    you should be able to get 50-60% off on HD blinds

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
    Automation is not just a Hunter Douglas feature and many companies now sell them. The quality motors in North America come from Somfy and are available to many manufacturers. Add the already expensive somfy motors and the mark up with Hunter and you get a blind that is twice as much as companies like Elite.

If you want blinds for home automation, then HD is NOT the way to go. I have the hd powerrise in my house, and it uses both IR and Radio, making it almost impossible to control with my home controller.

If you are going to automate your blinds in the future, make sure you get them to run extra wire to your windows..

My Ride
    V8s

^What control system do you use?

HAI OmniPro II. It controls the lights, security and thermostats.

The lights are all UPB though. I like it better than a wireless solution

BUMP!
    Is Cornel at Best for less blinds still the best person to deal with?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast