Quantcast
Crowchild Tr FYI - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowchild Tr FYI

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

maybe we finish the ring road and see what happens?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 09:35 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Short amount of time? Compared to what, the life of a solar system?

I honestly thought I'd never see the end to this clusterfuck project screwing with my commute home.
    2.5 years (really, 3 summers of real work) for a complete LRT line is pretty impressive.

Some numbers.

West LRT - $1.4b - serves 100,000 commuters - $14,000/commuter
    Crowchild Interchange - $0.8-$1.0b - serves 106,000 commuters - $9500/commuter
    Airport Tunnel - $0.3b - serves 27,000 commuters (in 20 years) - $11,000/commuter
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    W204

I am always in disbelief when I see these expensive ass intersections complete with bridges and ramps that occupy a good 4 acres… and they still somehow have incorporated traffic lights at the top, wtf is up with that!? Also like the improvement project they did near Chinook where they made the exit to Westbound Glenmore worse than it was before, it takes a special kind of retard to come up with that design.
    Cost and space constraints, but mostly cost. Even if you go to a city like Seattle, only very major interchanges have no lights (like freeway meets freeway). Most of them do.

Honestly I think we actually did pretty good here. And I am very impressed with what they're going to do with Crowchild. Let's get the party started!!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Looking at this now

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...dor-Study.aspx

What a fucking mess

Short amount of time? Compared to what, the life of a solar system?

I honestly thought I'd never see the end to this clusterfuck project screwing with my commute home.

West LRT has been impressive. An entire line in 3 years compared to nearly 2 years it takes for a single station extension on an existing line.

Originally posted by rage2
    Some numbers.

West LRT - $1.4b - serves 100,000 commuters - $14,000/commuter
    Crowchild Interchange - $0.8-$1.0b - serves 106,000 commuters - $9500/commuter
    Airport Tunnel - $0.3b - serves 27,000 commuters (in 20 years) - $11,000/commuter
    The West LRT numbers will probably be much lower. I think they estimated the population of the service area of West LRT will be 105k so ridership will be much lower than that. Really surprised that they built this line before SE or NC lines.
    ---

Originally posted by effingidiot
    Looking at this now

What a fucking mess
    So you would prefer to keep the mess we have to endure today?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I'm pretty impressed with the study so far, looks freakinn expensive, but its pretty cool, looks like its going to be lights free on Crowchild...

I'm totally for shutting down roads that arent used so I'm glad to see things like 5th ave with no crowchild connection.

So many overpasses!

Originally posted by speedog

So you would prefer to keep the mess we have to endure today?
    I think they're trying to apply 1960's solutions to 2010's problems. But I have to say: I'm starting to like the 17 ave roundabout Hopefully, it's going to be inspired by the one in McKenzie Towne.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I think they're trying to apply 1960's solutions to 2010's problems.
    So what's the 2012 solution for SW communities heading to the NW (U of C, Foothills Hospital), which is fed by Crowchild Trail?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Looking at this now

What a fucking mess
    My picks:

@ 24 - A
    @ 23 - C
    @ 16 - A
    @ 5 - C
    @ Kensington - B
    @ Bow - B

Anything south of there, don't care

But really, I don't see this approved and completed til 2020. By then I will probably care even less.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

So what's the 2012 solution for SW communities heading to the NW (U of C, Foothills Hospital), which is fed by Crowchild Trail?
    It's this, SW ringroad, or a helicopter.

Tired of waiting on the ring road, so I'm glad this is taking shape. Looks like the EARLIEST it will be done will be 2025. All the more reason to start now.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

students should have to train, raise parking prices

sw heads to rockeyview if they get injured

NW to downtown? finish the damn ring road and take all lights out of bow trail!

These areas are problematic only during peak hours.
    Otherwise, they could build a second deck over existing freeways/bridges for low-footprint vehicles:

Since these vehicles are of lower weight, the expenditures on load-bearing structures will be considerably less than for comparable structures designed to sustain all vehicle traffic.

John Mar is not a fan.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...565/story.html
    Ye, it would appear that he is not but at the same time, we need improved infrastructure including an improved road system and unfortunately, that may mean that some 430-60's era housing may have to be bulldozed. Could have those city planners back in those decades envision where thing's could've have gone - hell no and Mr. Mar needs to understand this. That said, that doesn't necessarily mean that some modifications couldn't come about as a result of some public input and push-back.

But the residents of these older communities and the aldermen that represent them need to understand that progress is going to mean their communities will have to endure sacrifices and I am one of those living in a mid-50's community that will experience that when the McKnight/John Laurier project comes to fruition. Am I happy that my community will be affected - no I am not, but I also realize that it is inevitable and when we purchased our home, we ensured it was far enough away from the edge of our community so as to not be affected by future transportation projects.

In fact, the one main reason we sold our first home in Mount Pleasant and moved into a 50's burb was because we could see that the 16th Avenue expansion project would very negatively affect our home on 17th Avenue NW which it has ultimately proved to have done through increased noise. The people living in alderman Mar's communities - the ones that live near Crowchild Trail - they are the fools who bought there - it's not like Crowchild Trail just popped out of no where and certainly, any human being with an inkling of common sense should have been able to figure out that anything within a block or so of Crowchild Trail (in this study area) was going to impacted in a negative fashion at some point in the future.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ercchry
    students should have to train, raise parking prices
    I'll reserve my comment until I do my carless week to see if all the transit complaints are true.

sw heads to rockeyview if they get injured
    Foothills has a lot of specialized fields that serves the entire city.

NW to downtown? finish the damn ring road and take all lights out of bow trail!
    The ring road isn't designed to feed into downtown. It's there to AVOID downtown.

These areas are problematic only during peak hours.
    Well obviously, that's because school and work starts at the same time for most people, during rush hour!

Otherwise, they could build a second deck over existing freeways/bridges for low-footprint vehicles:

Since these vehicles are of lower weight, the expenditures on load-bearing structures will be considerably less than for comparable structures designed to sustain all vehicle traffic.
    The problem with designing for the future like that is we have no idea if those vehicles would ever see the light of day. You'll need a crystal ball to design that far into the future. Imagine a $1b project where no cars can use 'em because the low-footprint vehicles never made it into production haha.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

when the McKnight/John Laurier project comes to fruition
    John Laurie. See here: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/356931/ho...e-john-laurie/

Am I happy that my community will be affected - no I am not, but I also realize that it is inevitable and when we purchased our home
    You should be happy, the property owners that got bought up in the WestLRT project got a lot more than market value haha.

To be honest, this project really doesn't affect me THAT much. Realistically, it'll drop my commute to work from 25 mins during rush hour to maybe a bit under 20 mins. The slowest part of my drive is getting into the core. Going home, I'd save a little more time. I rarely go to the south, maybe this will allow me to hit up Chinook more often.

The biggest commuters that this has an effect on are the ones that go from SW <-> NW on a day to day basis. It'll get worse as population grows, regardless if it's inner city or suburbian growth, for those that have to make the trek. There are only so many ways you can cross the river.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Foothills has a lot of specialized fields that serves the entire city.

The ring road isn't designed to feed into downtown. It's there to AVOID downtown.
    there is no reason that other hospitals can not also be equipped in the same fashion.

make the ring road work for it, why not? bow is a major roadway for the sw areas anyway, its already 3 lanes+. just take the lights out. it would be interesting to see a cost analysis of that vs ripping out $1mm+ homes in sought after areas

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast