Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I would think that the geometry, weight and gearing of a cross bike will help you accelerate faster than a hybrid. The drops wouldn't matter much until you get to higher speed cruising. I only get to the drops when I hit mid-high 30k/h. I think riding in the drops on the bike path makes you either look like a huge dork (too slow) or asshole (too fast).

If there is a bike that you want, go look at it and try to get a deal now. Blue Light Sale is like boxing day, you go in, wait, grab and go. That's it.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by lilmira
    I would think that the geometry, weight and gearing of a cross bike will help you accelerate faster than a hybrid. The drops wouldn't matter much until you get to higher speed cruising. I only get to the drops when I hit mid-high 30k/h. I think riding in the drops on the bike path makes you either look like a huge dork (too slow) or asshole (too fast).

If there is a bike that you want, go look at it and try to get a deal now. Blue Light Sale is like boxing day, you go in, wait, grab and go. That's it.
    You might be surprised - there are lots of companies that make carbon frame super high-end hybrids.

I ride in the drops on 2 occasions:
    - strong head wind
    - steep descent that requires extra braking power or bike handling

As such I spend 99.9% of the time on the hoods.

My favourite are people doing 20km/hr in the drops while spinning 110rpm

Back on topic - CX frame size:
    Because frame geometry is different for CX bikes you will likely fit a smaller CX frame vs a road frame. I ride a 56cm Jake the Snake (cx), 54cm Ridley X-Fire (cx), but tend to fit best on a 58cm road frame.

Also, on the topic of brake upgrades - you can fit Avid Shorty brakes and sticky pads to help get better stopping power with cantilevers. Getting into the drops also gives you way better leverage than braking from the hoods.

A bike that is equipped with cantis is probably not worth upgrading to disc because the frame and fork probably don't support them and the wheels are likely non-disc hub also.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Thanks guys. Kinda thinking i'm going to be looking at new. I've got a health spending account that can take a bit of the hit away, so hopefully can find something that's a past season and jump on it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
    Also, on the topic of brake upgrades - you can fit Avid Shorty brakes and sticky pads to help get better stopping power with cantilevers. Getting into the drops also gives you way better leverage than braking from the hoods.
    My 2008 Jake came with Avid Shorty brakes and they had plenty of stopping power. Actually, after I put in fresh pads, I almost launched myself over the handlebars because I underestimated how well they worked

My Ride
    '14 Taco

thoughts on the Rove? hard to find the Jake (without the snake) in town

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    thoughts on the Rove? hard to find the Jake (without the snake) in town
    I love the idea behind the Rove. I think it comes in three versions now - Aluminum, Steel, Titanium. Rove is build with long gravel rides and comfort in mind, while a Jake/Jake the Snake is snappier and better on technical terrain.

I'd totally rock one as a DD/commuter. For riding technical stuff and as a "road bike" the Jake is probably a better choice.

edit: are you talking about the Kona Rove with drop bars, or the Kona Big Rove? The Big Rove is like a rigid mountain bike with slicks on it and hence a completely different beast from the regular Rove.
    Last edited by Penguin_Racecar; 03-24-2016 at 06:30 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Anyone tried the cannondale slate? Not sure if that thing is even categorized as cross bike with front suspension.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

I love the idea behind the Rove. I think it comes in three versions now - Aluminum, Steel, Titanium. Rove is build with long gravel rides and comfort in mind, while a Jake/Jake the Snake is snappier and better on technical terrain.

I'd totally rock one as a DD/commuter. For riding technical stuff and as a "road bike" the Jake is probably a better choice.

edit: are you talking about the Kona Rove with drop bars, or the Kona Big Rove? The Big Rove is like a rigid mountain bike with slicks on it and hence a completely different beast from the regular Rove.
    Just the regular Rove AL

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Went down to Wheellife in Okotoks and picked up last year's Rove at a good price... How quickly these things happen!

Monday's gonna be quick!

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Went down to Wheellife in Okotoks and picked up last year's Rove at a good price... How quickly these things happen!

Monday's gonna be quick!
    Beauty - should be a super fun ride!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Well, wasn't super fun in that headwind. Still quick! Ride home is gonna be flying if that wind is still going

My Ride
    Ford

my wife bikes to work 365 day a year in Edmonton. +30 or -30 off she goes. and pulls the kids in the chariot trailer.

Its 7 kms to her work. she bikes with a chariot for 2km. drops kid and chariot off at daycare then finishes her trip.

she has 2 bikes a summer road bike and a winter hybrid. winter bike has studded tires. summer bike has Kevlar street tires. as she was having a lot of glass/flat tires living in the ghetto.
    Last edited by blairtruck; 03-28-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by blairtruck
    my wife bikes to work 365 day a year in Edmonton. +30 or -30 off she goes. and pulls the kids in the chariot trailer.

Its 7 kms to her work. she bikes with a chariot for 2km. drops kids and chariot off at daycare then finishes her trip.

she has 2 bikes a summer road bike and a winter hybrid. winter bike has studded tires. summer bike has Kevlar street tires. as she was having a lot of glass/flat tires living in the ghetto.
    Your wife only gets days off on leap years? There's gotta be some kinda labour law against that.

That said, your wife must have a sweet body. Pics of wife?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Beat me to it..knew it was coming

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Hey now!!! Easy on other people's wives.

A bit off topic but when you guys go to a LBS for a bike purchase. What is a good amount of discount to ask for? When I buy a new car I ask for "cost" plus xxxx dollars. Would a 5-8% discount be reasonable on a bike that is not already discounted?

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Your wife only gets days off on leap years? There's gotta be some kinda labour law against that.

she earned that one day. i meant she never drives. bikes even in the worst.
    she works at AHS and they have showers there.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

hey all,

planning on cycling to work hopefully a couple times a week starting in april. start location is evergreen and ending in downtown by the bow.

found this route off youtube and looking for suggestions on alternate (faster/safer) routes in case someone goes a similar direction

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...a=0&dg=feature

How long would that ride be? 1.5 - 2 hours?? Jesus.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

stop trying to scare me man..

googlemaps has it as 1h 10min .. distance 21kms

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It's the stop and go that's gonna kill your time. It takes me a bit over an hour from Royal Oak to Manchester, 28k about 3/4 of it on pathway with little stops. If you don't have to stop for lights and stuff, 21k in an hour is very doable. It does look like you have to go through a lot of intersections though.

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast