Thread: Windows 10 Reboot Loop

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Should have bought a Mac.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by blitz
    Should have bought a Mac.
    So you can just throw the whole thing away and just buy a new one?

You can do that with PC too.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Put a new SSD in and it and it hard power loops after about 2 seconds of being on....fuck. I cant even get into the bios. Looks like the SSD was fine. Probably mobo or PSU, might have to pay memex to look at it, I don't have the time to start swapping out parts one by one to see what works.
    Damn it Mitsu, that's why I suggested trying a linux distro to confirm.

Now you're most likely looking at a mobo issue. It's a long shot, but you could try one ram stick at a time, and also resetting the bios. I don't know if you've reset a bios before, but unplug it, and pull the battery for a few seconds.

EDIT: I misread your first post and somehow thought you already replaced the PSU. If you take it to a shop, that's the first they'll check out at this point.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 12-04-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Originally posted by Seth1968

Damn it Mitsu, that's why I suggested trying a linux distro to confirm.

Now you're most likely looking at a mobo issue. It's a long shot, but you could try one ram stick at a time, and also resetting the bios. I don't know if you've reset a bios before, but unplug it, and pull the battery for a few seconds.
    I got it running again (sort of), it's currently sitting in the BIOS screen, having recognized both my boot USB and new Samsung SSD. I could pretty easily try to put windows on it and see if that works still - not sure its worth it though.

Probably mobo, or some other component.

My PSU is new, but I haven't replaced it as part of this trouble shooting. It's possible I got a lemon there but I bought a very good one.

I edited my last post while you were posting.

Intermittent problems are the worst.

Yeah the problem is I've got it to work normally for up to an hour or so. I could think it's fixed when it's not which makes it super annoying.

Well I tried to boot from the USB drive with W10 on it, since I had the bios up and running but as soon as I hit "enter" it did a hard shutdown. I think I will just be bringing it in. I'm 99.9% sure it isn't the SSD at this point.

Reset BIOS and pulled all 3 other hard drives as well and still same issue. Just going to pay memex to look at it at this point, I don't have the time right now to start replacing things one by one.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-04-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Got a call from Memory Express and they are classifying it as "no fault found". All my hardware passes with flying colors including stress test.

He did find a couple windows errors and is going to update my bios, but that's it. I'm still going to try out the new SSD and a fresh windows install just in case but beyond that if it happens again there isn't much more I can try.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Couple of questions:

a) did they use a different PSU or do you have another one to use?
    b) how much did they charge for the test?

Also, (this happens all the time) did you perform a complete system de-power? This means disconnecting the power cable and hitting the power on button (to drain the capacitors, etc.).
    Many times, weird electrical problems get solved this way.

Originally posted by revelations
    Couple of questions:

a) did they use a different PSU or do you have another one to use?
    b) how much did they charge for the test?

Also, (this happens all the time) did you perform a complete system de-power? This means disconnecting the power cable and hitting the power on button (to drain the capacitors, etc.).
    Many times, weird electrical problems get solved this way.
    I don't think they changed out the PSU. It would be easy because it's modular and the cords could stay in place. The tech couldn't replicate the issue I don't think, so there was no reason to start swapping things out. My computer did display the issue for the person who checked me in at the service desk though, so they witnessed it.

I disconnected my PC many times and flicked the "off" switch on the PSU but I never held down the power button. The LED's eventually go out which I assume is the capacitors draining. At this point, "weird electrical problem" might just be the most likely culprit based on all the info I have at this point.

They charge $50 non-refunable for the first hour of diagnostics and $50/hr thereafter. They call you after the first $50 to tell you what's wrong and it's your call how to proceed. I talked to the actual tech on the phone today and he seemed like a good guy, knowledgeable, and pretty loose with hours/rates. He said he would only charge me $50 to reinstall the new SSD, test it, and install windows on it (something I could easily do myself) so I told him to go ahead because I've already spent enough time on it. Hopefully when I take it home today it's good to go.

I still wonder if my PSU isn't a lemon, but if the system passes stress tests and whatnot, the PSU is probably working just fine.

I've never used a PSU tester, as they don't really address intermittent issues, or under load issues. It's far more reliable to quickly hook up a new PSU for testing. It's not like the old one even has to be taken out.

Ditto for software ram testers.

The sucky thing is that the problem is intermittent.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 12-06-2016 at 12:19 PM.

I've never used a PSU tester, as they don't really address intermittent issues, or under load issues. It's far more reliable to quickly hook up a new PSU for testing. It's not like the old one even has to be taken out.

Ditto for software ram testers.
    He tested my ram and mobo which both were fine.

If my PSU holds up to full system stress tests and such I would think it's fine. If the issues are intermittent, swapping out the PSU might not reveal anything either which would be very frustrating.

It's the HARD power-downs that make me still suspect the PSU, but who knows. It does start back up by itself. Maybe the PSU is entering protection mode or something which kills the PC temporarily. Or maybe it's not the PSU at all....haha.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've seem RAM fail tests many times, resulting in an uncommanded reboot - but a SHUTDOWN usually implies a power issue.

OP, if the problems continue - go back to mem ex and pickup a different PSU - although if you have a 6 month old 1000watt Platinum-grade PSU, its highly unlikely to be the problem (but not impossible).

If you end up trying a different PSU, take the whole system apart and check the pins on the board - sometimes I've seen the pins pushed up and away from the connector resulting in some random weirdness like this.

You have 7 days to return the PSU for full refund - you should know then if the problem is PSU related or not.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-06-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Originally posted by revelations
    I've seem RAM fail tests many times, resulting in an uncommanded reboot - but a SHUTDOWN usually implies a power issue.

OP, if the problems continue - go back to mem ex and pickup a different PSU.
    You have 7 days to return it for full refund - you should know then if the problem is PSU related or not.
    Yeah swapping out the PSU was my next plan if all else fails. I was going to do that on the weekend actually but I had already spent too much time on it. If the PSU is in fact the issue, it's definitely strange and intermittent. It's a few month old EVGA Supernova P2 (650W) which has been reviewed as pretty much a flawless PSU. Possible I got a lemon though of course.

The hard shutdowns as if you yanked the power cord out of the wall (and then it stays off for 2-3 sec before turning back on) is what made me suspect the PSU at the start of all this. The "looping" it does though is more curious, especially since it's stable at certain points (Like bios screen or windows recovery screen).

Tonight we will see I guess. It will have a new SSD, fresh W10 install, and all firmware/bios updates.

I thought maybe my PSU might be underpowered, but everyone told me it was fine when I bought it. PC Part picker said I was way under 650W too.

i7 3770K modest overclock on air
    3 fans
    3 HDD's / 1 SSD
    nvidia GTX TITAN X (Maxwell)
    16 GB RAM

The most demanding game I play is Leage of Legends haha. It gets a workout with Photoshop though and it's always been fine with good temperatures.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-06-2016 at 12:34 PM.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Until you get this resolved I'd disconnect the HDDs if possible, unless newer hard drives are OK with sudden power loss, I remember hearing the heads can be easily damaged when they power back up.

Originally posted by Swank
    Until you get this resolved I'd disconnect the HDDs if possible, unless newer hard drives are OK with sudden power loss, I remember hearing the heads can be easily damaged when they power back up.
    They are strictly storage drives, so I think 99% of the time they aren't spinning. If it can happen regardless though, maybe I'll leave them out for a bit.

I am hoping that it is somehow resolved already with the updates & fresh SSD/Windows but we will see. I'm skeptical due to the hard nature of the power-downs that it's truly resolved. In my mind, when it did it with the new SSD, that pretty much ruled out windows or the SSD as the issue.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Got a call from Memory Express and they are classifying it as "no fault found". All my hardware passes with flying colors including stress test.

He did find a couple windows errors and is going to update my bios, but that's it. I'm still going to try out the new SSD and a fresh windows install just in case but beyond that if it happens again there isn't much more I can try.
    Similar issue on a friend's Lenovo that he picked up from MemEX about 16 months ago. Just kept looping to that off green pre-login screen, then would reboot.

Managed to get it into Safe Mode to get his data off, but haven't been able to since. BIOS wasn't much help either. Dropped it off at MemEx.

Will let you know what they say.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Originally posted by cam_wmh

Similar issue on a friend's Lenovo that he picked up from MemEX about 16 months ago. Just kept looping to that off green pre-login screen, then would reboot.

Managed to get it into Safe Mode to get his data off, but haven't been able to since. BIOS wasn't much help either. Dropped it off at MemEx.

Will let you know what they say.
    Yeah I'd be curious.

I keep circling back to power supply just because of the nature of the hard power cuts, but then enough other stuff happens that makes me think it can't be the PSU Mine would also crash (hard power-off) if you tried to select safe mode, but would stay in the safe mode options screen indefinitely, which would suggest it is not the PSU haha.

My PC has been good to me for 5 years, I can't ask much more of it. If it turns out I need a new one I won't be upset, but I remain optimistic for the time being. Maybe it just needed a different environment for a while at MemEx haha who knows. It's probably something silly still.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-06-2016 at 04:44 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I still say it was a W10 update. I have been hearing these stories a lot. I sent mine back the first time it happened. Got it back, it did an update, and started doing it again. I was able to system restore it, and it has been fine now for the last month or so.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

^ Given that Mitsu heard a pop, it often halts at the BIOS, and he's already tried a new SSD, then it's most certainly not a software issue.

If I had it on my bench, I would loosely connect a psu, do other stuff, and attempt a restart every 10 minutes or so. The psu was always the main culprit, but I had a read fail on Mitsu's original post and thought he already tried another psu.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

^ Given that Mitsu heard a pop, it often halts at the BIOS, and he's already tried a new SSD, then it's most certainly not a software issue.

If I had it on my bench, I would loosely connect a psu, do other stuff, and attempt a restart every 10 minutes or so. The psu was always the main culprit, but I had a read fail on Mitsu's original post and thought he already tried another psu.
    I know. It is exhibiting the identical symptoms mine did. When I sent my laptop in under warranty, they replaced the motherboard and HDD, and then a fresh copy of W10.

Worked for a few hours, till it did an automatic update, and then started doing it again. I was able to get it to do a recovery from the fresh install date, and mysteriously, no more hard boots and struggling to get past the bios check.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast