Quantcast
Short term tow rig - ExtraSlow 2017 edition - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Short term tow rig - ExtraSlow 2017 edition

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Using another members $1000/10,000 I'm rule. I think it would be worth around $14k if it had 200,000 km, so it should be worth, negative $16,000?????

That particular truck has been for sale a long time. Suspect it'll sell for three Grand or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Why the hell does anyone buy a 3/4 ton truck without the big trailer/camper mirrors? Have seen two on kijiji that looked decent, but have the useless tiny car mirrors on them like a 1500. What a waste.

Also, happy Monday everyone.
    When I had my '14 Ram 2500, the choice was either tow mirrors or power folding, as a power folding tow mirror wasn't available yet. I picked the power folding for convenience, then the few times a year I towed, popped on some cheap Amazon towing mirror extenders.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Using another members $1000/10,000 I'm rule. I think it would be worth around $14k if it had 200,000 km, so it should be worth, negative $16,000?????

That particular truck has been for sale a long time. Suspect it'll sell for three Grand or so.
    I think he meant if he was comparing 2 vehicles. if you were considering 2 vehicles, and there was 50,000kms difference, the higher mileage of the 2 should be $5,000 less when deciding value.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by spikerS

I think he meant if he was comparing 2 vehicles. if you were considering 2 vehicles, and there was 50,000kms difference, the higher mileage of the 2 should be $5,000 less when deciding value.
    It depends as well on the age and total mileage of the vehicle. The price gap on 2 2003 trucks with 250,000 and 300,000kms will be significantly less than the price gap on 2 2015 trucks with 25,000 and 75,000 kms.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One of my favourite things about GMC and Cheveroet trucks is that sticker in the gloverbox with the RP codes on it. So many owners know nearly nothing about their vehicles, or pretend to be ignorant when you call them, but that little sticker tells you every single option the truck left the factory with. Very handy, even if it is a little bit of a process to fully decode it.
    Handy stuff like axle ratio, locking rear diff, HD trailering package etc that rarely shows up in a kijiji advertisement.

Have been contacted by a couple of beyonders. If anyone else is selling a truck this month, give me a shout. I'm getting my act together soon-ish, and I'm ready to move if I find the right deal.

You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    As long as there aren't ticks and the 6r80 is solid... givr

Hah, I should call that dude and offer three grand. Couldn't loose at that price . . . .

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

One of my favourite things about GMC and Cheveroet trucks is that sticker in the gloverbox with the RP codes on it. So many owners know nearly nothing about their vehicles, or pretend to be ignorant when you call them, but that little sticker tells you every single option the truck left the factory with. Very handy, even if it is a little bit of a process to fully decode it.
    Handy stuff like axle ratio, locking rear diff, HD trailering package etc that rarely shows up in a kijiji advertisement.
    Yeah that's handy. Do Ford and Dodge not do that?

If you can get the VIN, you can take it to the dealer and they can print off a list of all the RPO codes, as well as what the codes are, so you don't have to look them up. I've done it for my 81 GMC. The other manufacturers might be able to do that too, I don't know.

Edit: If the 8th digit in the VIN is "G", don't even bother looking up the codes. Buy it right away because the G means it's perfect.
    Last edited by SKR; 04-08-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't think Ford and Dodge do that same thing. You can use the VIN to get a reprint of the Original window sticker I think.

I have a strong contender, and best of all, it's from a beyonder. Some details to work out. It's got character, but it's not an 8.1.

If anyone has another truck they want me to look at, they should post it here asap.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Picked something up yesterday. It's not home yet, so no pictures, will get those up in a day or so.

It's a 2009 F150 SuperCrew, XLT with FX4 package. Cloth seats, no rear camera. 5.4L engine, 4x4, tonneau cover, good michelin load range E tires. Trailer mirrors and trailer brake controller.

Interior is good, exterior is good except for some rust on the painted front bumper and on three rock chips above the windshield. Compustar remote starter, Engine is quiet, drives nice.

288,000 kms on the Odo.

Paid $9000. assuming it runs for the summer, I think I did okay. I know there are similar trucks listed for a hell of a lot more.

Was close on a deal with a beyonder for his truck.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

It's a 2009 F150 SuperCrew, XLT with FX4 package. Cloth seats, no rear camera. 5.4L engine, 4x4, tonneau cover, good michelin load range E tires. Trailer mirrors and trailer brake controller.
    You think its going to handle your setup nearly as well as the 3/4 ton did?? What kind of rear gear?

Trailer mirrors and trailer brake controller.
    Those add about +80ft lbs of torque right there!

Enjoy the summer.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

hmm. The FX4 wasn't a packaged in 2009 as far as I am aware. It's either an XLT / XTR with all of the skid plates and the like or it is an FX4 without the Lux package that gave you leather seats.

The FX4 has an electronic locking rear diff. You pull on the 4x4 selector when in 4 Hi or 4 low. No locker, no FX4.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pretty sure the FX4 was an options package in 2009, and not a separate trim level like it was in 2011-2014.
    It's got the 3.73 locking axle and appears to have the max tow option which would be rated at 11,100 lbs trailer weight.

I know no half-ton truck will handle a trailer like a 3/4 ton truck would, and that the Ford 5.4L engine isn't as torquey as the GMC 6.0L, or the Ford EcoBoost, both of which i have previously used for this trailer. Guess I'll just drive slower.

I don't haul much gear, and the tongue weight is fine for a half ton, I've tested that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Here's some photos, hopefully not too "potato", I need a new phone.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version
    Some rust on the painted front bumper. May repaint this section.
    click for larger version

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Damn, that's in nice shape. I'm surprised that a 2009 1/2 ton anything with close to 300k kms is worth almost $10k though Sign o the times I suppose.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yeah, that's an FX4. 2009-2014 its a trim level. In 2015 it became an option. I have a 2010 FX4.

Yours looks like the base FX4 which is just an XLT with the off road bits. No colored door handles, leather, etc.

I have the FX4 Luxury package, which is just a Lariat with colored bumpers and off road bits.

I Have the rust disease on my front bumper too. I am thinking of getting color matched Line-X done. It's like $800 or something.

Yours has the long box. Have fun in the parking lots. Even with my short box, I end up parking far away and walking.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Yup that's an FX4 trim, not an option like the new ones. It was it's own trim level in the half tons from 2004-2014, but an optional package in the super duty

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by benyl
    Yours looks like the base FX4 which is just an XLT with the off road bits. No colored door handles, leather, etc.

I have the FX4 Luxury package, which is just a Lariat with colored bumpers and off road bits.

I Have the rust disease on my front bumper too. I am thinking of getting color matched Line-X done. It's like $800 or something.

Yours has the long box. Have fun in the parking lots. Even with my short box, I end up parking far away and walking.
    Yep, mine is the "base" version with cloth seats. I'm for sure not spending $800 on that bumper. May spend $0. The painted bumpers rust so easily, it's a common problem, but luckily just a cosmetic issue.

Long box for sure add a little joy to the parking situation. But I'm still rolling in the honda fit for my urban attacks. This thing will be used out of town mostly.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I have lots of stuff and speciality tools that would fit that truck. I know you're only planning on having it for the summer, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Brand new battery, brand new passenger side exhaust manifold w/ studs and gasket, OTC valve spring compressor, cam timing tool, BackRack headache rack, probably some other stuff I can't remember. All for cheap and just taking up space in my garage.

And on a similar note, I've had 4 trucks with that engine so let me know if you have any questions

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

thanks btimbit. Don't need anything yet, but will let you know.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast