Quantcast
Good starter bike for cycling into work - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good starter bike for cycling into work

My Ride
    Wankels!

I'm a big fan of cyclocross bikes as a commuter. Generally strong, fairly light, can fit fenders and studded tires. Some 'cross bikes come with braze-ons for racks also. I commute on a Kona Jake the Snake, and just picked up an older Jake the Snake with braze-ons for my wife.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Completely agree with the above also.

Cheap mountain bike is a good test to start to see if you like bike commuting and will stick to it in all seasons, but....

If you stick with it you will soon find you want something better. Cyclocross bikes seem to work best in Calgary for year round commuting.

- Decently quick in summer
    - Wider tire selection for the crappy roads / gravel etc you will encounter.
    - Disc brakes (low maintenance, best for winter, nice to have the stopping power to avoid stupid motorists/pedestrians/wildlife)
    - Ability to easily fit studded tires on in the winter.
    - We rarely get heavy snow - so a really wide tire isn't often needed, and the pathways around the river are cleared quite quickly.

I built up a CX bike on a Nashbar cyclocross frame. Otherwise would have chosen a Kona JTS also.

I have commuted in the past on a MTBike, Singlespeed, Road Bike, fate bike, etc. Still find the CX the most versatile. (I did kill a tire and wheel yesterday though. )
    Last edited by CLiVE; 04-19-2017 at 01:18 PM.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Would you buy the kona JTS 2016 for $1700 or the 2016 Giant TCX SLR 2 for $1400 (put $300 towards other stuff) or TCX SLR 1 for $1700?
    Place in Canmore can get the JTS and cycle path has the 2016 Giants on sale.

Which components are on each bike?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm just comparing the components now and they're so similar, you're really splitting hairs. They're all Shimano 105. The SLR 1 uses an Ultegra rear derailleur so it's a little smoother shifting but the commuter isn't gonna notice that, certainly not at a $300 difference.

The only noticeable difference are the Giants use a thru-axle while the Kona uses QR, which again I don't think really matters for commuting.

At this point, the difference is fit and feel to you.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Without posting the full specs I copied in the highlights.

Slr2
    ALUXX SLR-grade aluminum frame with D-Fuse SL composite seatpost
    Composite fork with alloy OverDrive steerer
    Giant S-X2 rims, Giant Sport Tracker hubs, stainless spokes
    Shimano 105 11-speed shifting
    TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes

Slr1
    ALUXX SLR-grade aluminum frame with D-Fuse SL composite seatpost
    Composite fork with alloy OverDrive steerer
    Giant P-X2 rims, Giant Sport Tracker hubs with 15mm front thru axle
    Shimano 105 11-speed shifting
    TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes

JTS
    Frame Material: Kona Race Light 7005 Aluminum Butted
    Wheels: WTB STp i19
    Fork: Kona Full Carbon CX Race Disc
    Crankset: FSA Gossamer CX N11
    Drivetrain: Shimano 105 11-32t 11-speed
    Cockpit: Kona Road bar, Kona Road Deluxe stem, Kona cork tape
    Brakes: Hayes CX Expert
    Tires: Clement MXP 700x33c
    Saddle: WTB Volt Comp

My Ride
    07 997TT

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I'm just comparing the components now and they're so similar, you're really splitting hairs. They're all Shimano 105. The SLR 1 uses an Ultegra rear derailleur so it's a little smoother shifting but the commuter isn't gonna notice that, certainly not at a $300 difference.

The only noticeable difference are the Giants use a thru-axle while the Kona uses QR, which again I don't think really matters for commuting.

Thanks I'll pop by bow cycle since they have the 2017 then over the cyclepath

My Ride
    Wankels!

Just a couple of things to add:
    - The giants have a press fit bottom bracket, while the Jake has gone back to a threaded bottom bracket. I dislike press fit as it requires addition tools (a press and specialty tools) and I've had problems with them creaking.
    - I've heard good things about the TRP spyre brakes over the Hayes CX brakes
    - The Giants may feel slower due to Maxxis Mud Wrestler tires vs the Clement MXP. Both are mud tires but the MXP has a slightly better center tread pattern. If you plan to fair weather commute on pathways I'd swap tires out for some 28mm Continental Gatorskins anyway as they'll roll much faster on pavement.

Both look like solid bikes. I'd go test ride a bunch and see if there's one in particular you prefer over the other.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
    - The Giants may feel slower due to Maxxis Mud Wrestler tires vs the Clement MXP. Both are mud tires but the MXP has a slightly better center tread pattern. If you plan to fair weather commute on pathways I'd swap tires out for some 28mm Continental Gatorskins anyway as they'll roll much faster on pavement.
    Actually that's a good point. If you're not planning on riding in the mud and shit, ask the bike shop if they'll swap the tires for ones more suitable for pavement. Some bike shops will do it and you just pay the difference on the tires.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

My personal opinion is to go QR over through axle for the average on road rider. Just annoying to have to always remember tools if you ever transport the bike. Just my opinion though.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Called cyclepath and the SLR2 is gone. Only have 2016 SLR 1 left. So based on everyone's input I'll lean toward JTS. Will hit bow cycle tonight to get fitted and to try it out.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by 997TT
    Called cyclepath and the SLR2 is gone. Only have 2016 SLR 1 left. So based on everyone's input I'll lean toward JTS. Will hit bow cycle tonight to get fitted and to try it out.
    Cool - let us know what you end up with!

My Ride
    07 997TT

Ended up with the 2016 JTS. Bow will order it Monday and I should get it late next week hopefully.

Super pumped to start riding in. Where do you guys buy accessories? Online or in store.

My one buddy says chain reaction is where he gets his stuff. Anybody else use them or another site?

Siiiick! Congrats

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Niiiiice! Awesome choice!

Yeah I usually get my stuff from Chain Reaction if it's a lot cheaper than getting it local. Like locks, tires, tools, and things like that are so much cheaper on Chain Reaction. If it's something that's just a couple bucks difference and I can't wait, I'll just get it from MEC or Bow.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Chainreaction, wiggle, Merlin, probikekit are the shops that I use regularly. Ribble is good too but they don't offer free shipping anymore it appears.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by lilmira
    Chainreaction, wiggle, Merlin, probikekit are the shops that I use regularly. Ribble is good too but they don't offer free shipping anymore it appears.
    When was the last time you ordered from probikekit? I heard the service has gone down hill over the last couple of years.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

My last shipment was few weeks ago and I have another jersey coming in as we speak lol. I had may be half a dozen orders from them in the last 12 months without any problem. I don't know if it makes any difference, they were all small orders of either clothing, accessories or spare parts. There have been some good deals from them that I couldn't resist.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Haven't had any issues ordering from Chain Reaction or Probike. I ordered a couple seats from Ribble and one will have to go back, so we'll see how that goes.

I find how a company handles returns/warranty is what can really make them stand out (good or bad).
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Good to know. I saw some things on there that were cheaper than Chain Reaction and Wiggle but heard bad things about them being slow to ship so I wasn't sure if they were reliable retailers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast