Quantcast
How to know if you need more RAM? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to know if you need more RAM?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm going to just do whatever tonytiger55 says. This guy is my new jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The easiest way is to just download more ram and forget about wasting money buying actual ram.

downloadmoreram.com

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Why don't you use bookmarks and open pages while you need them instead of feeding the almighty insatiable RAM? Am I internetting wrong?

Originally posted by Swank
    Why don't you use bookmarks and open pages while you need them instead of feeding the almighty insatiable RAM? Am I internetting wrong?
    I much, much, prefer to have a bunch of tabs open at once, especially if I won't likely be visiting them again, rather than having a million bookmarks to sift through or maintain. Also RAM is so cheap why not?

Just as one example, maybe I am shopping and researching something. Maybe I'll have 20+ tabs going that will never be used again once I've made my purchase. I don't need 20+ bookmarks added for a one-time thing.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    The easiest way is to just download more ram and forget about wasting money buying actual ram.

downloadmoreram.com
    I don't often reply with "EPIC", but this post is another epic.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Maybe I'll have 20+ tabs going that will never be used again once I've made my purchase.
    Holy fack, that's hardcore, good on you for being so diligent and being able to keep it all straight. After about 7-8 tabs it might as well be 7000 tabs for me, don't even remember which one has which info. Restart browser, clear mind with pr0n

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Holy crap...
    Here's me sitting on the sofa massaging my balls and I lazily decide to check my Ram on my 2011 MacPro. I only have 4 gig. This is including my upgrade when I bought this 7 years ago.

Just checked RAM on Newegg. Shit' cheap yo. I might even upgrade to my 8Gig max (my hindustani overlord will be happy).

Do the different brands really make a difference? Crucial/Corsair/GSkill

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

^ I don't think so, as long as it's reputable. I've always used Kingston and have never had a problem. I bought 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) of Kingston HyperX Fury Red 5+ years ago for $90, MemEx must have made a mistake on that price, never seen it that cheap again since then

Originally posted by tonytiger55
    Holy crap...
    Here's me sitting on the sofa massaging my balls and I lazily decide to check my Ram on my 2011 MacPro. I only have 4 gig. This is including my upgrade when I bought this 7 years ago.

Just checked RAM on Newegg. Shit' cheap yo. I might even upgrade to my 8Gig max (my hindustani overlord will be happy).

Do the different brands really make a difference? Crucial/Corsair/GSkill
    Depends. Some motherboards are finicky about RAM and much prefer, for example, Samsung dies (GSKILL uses a lot of Samsung).

Any of the major brands are usually fine, just check your motherboard's RAM compatibility list. Personally I stick to the various GSKILL lines but Corsair/Crucial/Kingston all make great RAM too. If you aren't going to OC the RAM (1-click to OC in most cases), just get some sticks that have the same specification as the native mobo/CPU RAM support, confirm the model numbers are on the mobo compatibility list, and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-03-2017 at 10:22 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

8GB is what you need. 16GB is more futureproof if you only have 2 slots, get 2x8GB you don't have to throw away your 2x4GB later.

You also didn't say what apps you are using. If you do video editing, then double up on the recommendation.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-03-2017 at 10:27 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Swank
    Beyond is the only website that I end up opening lots of tabs from. I go to the "show new posts" and then open each interesting thread in a new tab. It's 10+ even on a slow day, and can be many more.

Plus, I keep both my personal and work email inboxes open, and usually at least on instance of my work calendar, and on a weekday, linkedin is open.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So, funny story, I'm good at lots of stuff, but apparently not this kind of thing . .. . .

went and bought 4 gb more RAM from memex. Chatted with the guy to make sure it was the right kind, took it home. Had previously taken the one stick out to inspect it for any markings that would help me nail down the specifications. Installed both sticks, turn on the computer, just getting beeps . . . . . shit.

Pulled both out, put back the single stick, and had some problems getting it seated. Like, really had a hard time putting it in there. wondered if it was upside down or something, but eventually got it in. Turned the computer on, nope, only getting beeps . . . . FML

Took the computer and the new ram back to memex for them to take a look (thank goodness I bought the IPR on everything). The three techs there did a quick test and said the beep code sounded like a motherboard issue. But they'd take a look.

Got the call this morning, after extensive testing, the memory was just not seating properly, and now it's all installed and everything works fine.

I'm not sure how a guy manages to install RAM incorrectly, but I did it. I think I'll just leave the cover on the computer permanently from now on. I am S-M-R-T in some things, but this just isn't one of them.

Looking forward to running more tabs . . . .

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not that I think anyone cares, but it appears that the extra RAM was a good idea. My normal beyond multiple-tabbing is using just under 5 gb or ram today, leaving plenty free.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2