Quantcast
Laser eye correction - feedback? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser eye correction - feedback?

My Ride
    2003 Rsx Type S WHITE, Ninja zx250r

my optometrist didn't recommend any type of surgury,

he said that all the optomologist that preforms the surgury wears glasses/contacts

and even if corrected it's like a new set of eyes, they can become bad again, and you can't wear contacts if you had (lasik) done
    please don't flame me, or i'll have to learn how to use the ban button

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by gkAeris

he said that all the optomologist that preforms the surgury wears glasses/contacts

and even if corrected it's like a new set of eyes, they can become bad again, and you can't wear contacts if you had (lasik) done
    It all depends on who you see everyone has there own opinion. This was the best money i have ever spent but i had no complications what so ever and am thankful for that. Im pretty sure i could still get contacts if my eyes slipped again. Why would that make any difference at all???

My Ride
    Kompressor

The only bad thing I've heard was that some people couldn't focus in the dark.

I have a friend that got those permanent contacts or whatever put into her eyes last X-mas, & I think she's doing pretty well!

Originally posted by craigcd
    Im pretty sure i could still get contacts if my eyes slipped again. Why would that make any difference at all???
    It has something to do with the altered shape of your cornea after LASIK. It's no longer a regular spheroidal shape any more. Just my guess.

Originally posted by kiwi
    The only bad thing I've heard was that some people couldn't focus in the dark.
    The problem at night is less a focus problem and more a low-light/high-contrast situation like point sources of light on a dark background. For example, look up at a distant streetlight. A person with surgically corrected vision may see "flaring" around the light which may obscure proper viewing of things behind where the flaring occurs, like bird perched on top of the streetlight. This happens only when the pupil opens up larger than the corrected area.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

because of any minor drawbacks with laser eye surgery, i decided to ask my optometrist about other options. i was recomended to night/day contacts that i can wear for 2 weeks straight w/o taking them out, and the only rest your eye needs is one nighs sleep w/o the lenses in. if my perscription changes i simply get different contacts.

at $420 a year it is more pricey then laser eye surgery, but i really don't mind because my benefit plan covers it.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Have you thought about implantable contact lenses? reversable for the most part and they usually give you 20/15 vision. Not cheap, $3000 per eye...

Is there a recomended age to do laser eye correction? I'm currently 25 but I hear it's better to wait until you are 28-29 so your eyes are more stable so you won't have to do another procedure when you get older.

My Ride
    impreza

I wouldn't even consider the risk of surgery if your presciption is only around -1.5. I have been thinking about it for a while, but still not sure what to do, and my eyes are pretty bad.

My Ride
    BMW E70

My mom had her eyes done around 10 years ago now at Gimble. She went with the PRk procedure (not sure what it's called now) because she wasn't worried about the longer recovery time. She needs to use glasses when reading in low light and whenever she drives at night. She had really bad astigmatism though, which contributed to her needing glasses at times now.

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

Originally posted by Majestic12

I've had it done.
    No night vision problems.

Did it with Dr. Peter Huang at Bow River Centre.

About 6-7 people in my extended family have gone to him, and they all love the guy. Highly recommended.

Dr. Huang and his brother have been my family eye doctor for about 10 years, excellent doctors.

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

Originally posted by gkAeris

My optometrist had his eyes done and has no qualms about referring someone for eye surgery (if they are an appropriate candidate). I've also met some laser eye surgeons who have had it done. So I don't know what your optometrist is talking about...

Anyways, one of my co-workers went to LASIK MD. He got both eyes done this spring for $1000 and had awesome results. I did some research into them, and despite the price, they appear to be really good. I'm thinking about going for the Wavefront LASIK after I get next year's bonus (they charge $3000 for Wavefront).

Lightbulb MY LASIK PROCEEDURE AND RESULTS.

My proceedure was done at LasikMD in here in Calgary. I can't say enough positive things about the entire experience with that company, location, and it's staff. My friend went for Lasik shortly after seeing my results, he's also quite happy with the outcome. I am thankful EVERYDAY that I had this done.

Here's my Lasik story I posted on another forum:

Hello, I wanted to share my positive experiences with LASIK for those researching the procedure for themselves. Some of what I'm posting will be from previous posts on these forums; I just want to get them all in to one place and in order.

BEFORE:

OD: -3.00-0.75x101

OD MIN: 45.0 MAX: 45.3
    OS MIN: 44.1 MAX: 44.8

I am 29 years old. I had mild dry eye before the procedure. My pupils were larger than average but within the equipment ability. I have thicker than usual corneas. My left cornea has scarring from previous debris damage. The operation was done on a B&L 217z and I used a B&L Zero Compression MicroKeratome.

1 WEEK BEFORE THE OPERATION:

I went through nearly 3 hours of thorough testing on a variety of equipment, many of which I've never seen in any optomitrists office. That day I saw 4 technicians, 1 counseller, and 2 doctors, each of them double checks the previous persons results then does their own set of tests. I was told by my surgeon the risks and likely outcomes based on my results, which were good. I went home confident about getting LASIK done.

SURGEORY DAY:

I spoke with the counsellor briefly, paid my bill, and got my drops, meds, sunglasses, and a few other items. I was then taken to a relaxation room where I met another technician who verbally walked me through the procedure and asked if I had any other questions before we went in. She offered a mild sedative, I took it. We headed to the operating room where I met up with my surgeon again and 3 other techs. After a bit of small talk I laid down on the bed and the procedure started. The eye lid holders didn’t hurt going in and I found them comfortable, the suction ring felt a little strange, the cutter felt cool, folding back my cornea was kind of neat, the laser freaked me out a little because of the snapping sound it makes (I’m a flincher), the burning smell wasn’t bad at all. Meanwhile the doctor is talking me through everything and explaining what he’s doing or about to do. During the operation everyone chatted and laughed, it was relaxing. Everything was over before I knew it. The surgeon tested my eyes and examined them, another technician did the same. 20/20 right off the table. I went back to the relaxation room with my sunglasses and sat for an hour, putting drops in every 10 minutes. My eyes were checked again and I was given the clear to go home. When I got outside I noticed my vision was blurry around the edges, I hopped on the train and made my way home to bed. I slept 2 hours, after which my vision was even blurrier, no pain at all. The rest of the day I took it easy and lounged around the house.

24hr POST-OP:

This check-up took about an hour. Everything was tested and turned out fine. I was retold my drop schedule and went my way home with 20/30 and blurry edges. I also noticed halos around large lights. No pain or discomfort.

1 WEEK POST-OP:

All this week I’ve been having issues with my right eye being fuzzy, there was no sharpness at all. The left eye was great. Halos were gone by the end of the week. I’m not having any issues with dry eyes. I follow the drop schedule to a tee and everything else they’ve told me. Check up went fast, and everything looks great. 20/20 with both eyes. The technician and some nice people on this forum, to me to chill out about the fuzzy right eye, still to early to tell anything. I’ve been night driving without any issues. My night vision is much better than when I had 20/20 with glasses.

1 MONTH POST-OP:

Quick check-up. 20/15 both eyes. No issues. My eyes feel great and are working great. No dryness, halos, bursts, anything. The fuzziness issue is gone, my vision is stable. Next check-up, June 29th.

3 MONTH POST-OP:

Nothing new to report. Quick check-up with the Dr. 20/15 both eyes and no complications or side effects. No halo, starburt, dryness, double vision, or anything. I go back in 9 months for a 1 year evaluation and a 2 hour battery of tests. Now I just wait for the long term outcome, but I feel pretty confident at this point.

UPDATES: Things I've noticed...

- My eyes are more sensitive to ciggerette smoke, they tend to get a bit irritated. It goes away.
    SMOKERS

- My night vision is fricken amazing, beyond normal human night vision for sure, and I've been with friends that have witnessed this.

- My outlook, confidence, and mood has all improved. I appreciate having my vision more, and how beautiful some things are visually (swaying trees are so vivid and detailed now, and the color so rich), now that I'm not looking from behind a pane of glass. It's like seeing again for the first time. I can be more active in sports and physical activities. No more worries about getting rain drops, finger prints, scratches, or fogging on my glasses. I hated fogging when walking in to a building from outside in the winter. Grrr!!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

what is the forum you posted this on?

My Ride
    900rwhp Turbo e46 M3 / 12 BMW X5 35D

Arrow Lasik Eye Surgery

Okay...been wanting this for a long time now and I'm going in for a consult this friday at Lasik MD in Calgary. I'll only be looking at using the Bausch and Laumb 217z with wavefront. I want the best results.

Looking for peoples suggestions/results.

My Ride
    rental

I'm still too scared to actually go through with it, I went to the Dr. Demong seminar... and then paid $300 for an eye assisment (to see if my eyes can take the laser treatment; and of course they said it was good for it)

My method was about $4,000.

There are so many different "techiques" out there for "laser eye surgey"... you really need to do some research and go to the doctor's seminar about their machines and what type of method is for YOUR eyes.

I had it done years ago. have no quelms with it.
    Last edited by 69cougar; 01-01-2007 at 12:40 PM.

My Ride
    900rwhp Turbo e46 M3 / 12 BMW X5 35D

Ya I'm thinking about checking Gimbel and Mitchell out after Lasik MD. Gonna get whats best...my eyes are -5.75 and -5.25 with an astigmatism.

My Ride
    whatever i want

I actually had a cornea transplant done with Dr. Demong and i have to say they are the best. Dr. Demong is considered one he the worlds best when it comes to corneas and eye surgery. I will be going back to them in about 6 months to have my eyes lasered to correct any imperfections from the surgery. for Dr. Demong
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/CK4500/prod_99_3733.gif

Damn Skippy i'm with it

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

what is the best place for laser eye surgery? I don't mind paying extra for the best technology

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

SO if you get all this fancy stuff done...what is stopping your eyes from eventually getting bad again?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast