Quantcast
Works with Nest - Cool Stuff - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Works with Nest - Cool Stuff

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

You guys would need thermostat controlled dampeners, but they weren't put in when your house was built, next house you can get true zone control

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I put one by our sump pump, one in the kidlets room and one in our room.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

With all the costs involved to have true forced air zone control, might as well go infloor heating. Added bonus, warm floors!

Originally posted by Go4Long
    19 was too cold apparently.
    Fuckin' weirdos. That's the temperature of my house when it's being heated.

19.5 if I feel like walking around in my undies.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

That's so neat! Didn't know about all the works with nest stuff.

I just set it up with Google and Hue and it works flawlessly. Now I'm tempted to get one of those smart locks as well

My Ride
    oooo

I don't get it. Gas and electricity is so cheap here who bothers adjusting the temperature.

Our temperature is at 21c always. If it gets hot the ac kicks in if it gets cold the heat kicks on.

The only thing I do is shut the in-floor heat off during the summer time. To me it just doesn't seem worth it.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by sillysod
    I don't get it. Gas and electricity is so cheap here who bothers adjusting the temperature.

Our temperature is at 21c always. If it gets hot the ac kicks in if it gets cold the heat kicks on.

The only thing I do is shut the in-floor heat off during the summer time. To me it just doesn't seem worth it.
    because 50 bucks is 50 bucks.

or

because (insert reasonable savings from turning your thermostat down when you arent even home) bucks is (insert reasonable savings from turning your thermostat down when you arent even home) bucks.

And gas isnt going to be 3 dollars a GJ forever ( At least it better not )

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by eblend
    My 5 year old Honeywell Prestige has a remote sensor that does exactly that, so not really anything new.

So my thermostat has one remote sensor, I never really use it, but it's also a remote control for my thermostat so I use it for that sometimes, but regardless, having 6 isn't really going to help things. Not like it can individually control the temperature in every room independently. Going to make your bedroom warm, at the expense of creating a sauna in another room.

You don't have a separate HVAC system for every room in your home? Man you must love throwing money away!
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Anyone know of a thermostat that automatically adjusts the humidity of the humidifier (ie. humidity control) based on outdoor temperature?

So far the one's have seen to date dont have this feature

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by A2VR6
    Anyone know of a thermostat that automatically adjusts the humidity of the humidifier (ie. humidity control) based on outdoor temperature?

So far the one's have seen to date dont have this feature
    Nest

At least it does to the best of my knowledge.

Nest uses local weather to predict when to turn on etc. as well.

Edit aparently its coming in 4.0 software based on the nest community pages.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by killramos

Nest

At least it does to the best of my knowledge.

Nest uses local weather to predict when to turn on etc. as well.

Edit aparently its coming in 4.0 software based on the nest community pages.
    Cool! Thanks!

Wallyhome Nest functionality is cool. Just got it setup and it works great.

Update. The Wally's are going back. The Nest integration seems too unreliable and too simplistic. If you want to use the Wally's for temperature you need to setup a schedule on the Wally site...which is fine...but as soon as anyone touches the nest you're back to using the nest for temp. This doesn't work for me. You also can't just go on the wally site and say set a hold temp for a day for one sensor. You have to screw around with the schedule. It's way too basic.

Twice the Wally's ran into some kind of bug and I had to completely wipe the schedule and recreate it to get them and the nest jiving again.

Once Wally did some kind of update overnight that messed things up and I woke up to a cold house as the schedule didn't work.

Support was decent and was willing to work through all this but I need some kind of reliability when it comes to heating.

Shipping the whole system back...selling the Nest and already ordered an Ecobee3

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Whoa, I have a MyQ setup for my garage door and had no idea they integrated. Neat!

Originally posted by bspot
    Whoa, I have a MyQ setup for my garage door and had no idea they integrated. Neat!
    The "integration" is pretty useless IMO. All you can do is set your Nest to Away or Home via the MyQ app. You can't program it really, say to set your Nest to Home if it's Away and the garage door opens. Better to just sign into your Nest app if you need to do something with it
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

^Agreed, it is useless and I turned it off. The Google Now integration is way better, turns the heat up when it guesses you are on your way home via location tracking. If there are 2 phones, it won't turn down the heat if the other person is still home.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Nest Gen 3 is out!

https://nest.com/blog/2015/09/01/mee...ng-thermostat/

Not to much in the way of changes to functionality, and i think all the new features except "farsight" (which i dont really have a clue what it is) are coming to Nest 1 and 2 in a future update as well.

The brighter way to save energy.

It’s thinner, sleeker, and more beautiful than ever. The display is even bigger and sharper. And now the Nest Thermostat does something new. We call it Farsight. When you walk into the room, Farsight lights up and shows you the temperature you set or the time. You can even choose a digital or analog clock face. It’s big and bright - you can see it from across the room.

And now the Nest Thermostat does something new. We call it Farsight.

With more temperature sensors, the Nest Thermostat is more accurate. So it’s even better at learning about your home. It gets to know how it heats and cools, or how drafty it is, and adjusts accordingly. And if your furnace is acting up, the Nest Thermostat will let you know. Most heating and forced air furnaces have an automatic shutoff to avoid overheating. The Nest Thermostat is always looking out for shutoff patterns that indicate a persistent problem with your furnace. If anything’s out of the ordinary, every heating or cooling season you’ll get a Furnace Heads-Up message on your phone or tablet and the thermostat screen. And you’ll also get a notice in your monthly Home Report. (Furnace Heads-Up will be available for 1st and 2nd generation customers later this year.)

With more temperature sensors, the Nest Thermostat is more accurate. So it’s even better at learning about your home.

The Nest Thermostat is even better at learning what you like, too. So when you wake up in the morning, you’ll be cozy. When you leave for work, it’ll turn itself down. When you come home, you’ll be cozy again. And you can control it from anywhere. The Nest Thermostat does everything it’s always done – it keeps you comfortable. While it saves energy.

If Nest Protect sounds an emergency alarm or a Heads-up alert, you’ll see a message on the Nest Thermostat to let you know what’s going on. And when you set your Nest Thermostat to Away, your Nest Cam can start recording automatically.

And of course, the Nest Thermostat works with other Nest products. If Nest Protect senses smoke or carbon monoxide, the Nest Thermostat will shut off your heating system. That’s because the furnace can spread smoke throughout your home in a fire and it’s also a common source of CO leaks. If Nest Protect sounds an emergency alarm or a Heads-up alert, you’ll see a message on the Nest Thermostat to let you know what’s going on. And when you set your Nest Thermostat to Away, your Nest Cam can start recording automatically.

And of course, the Nest Thermostat works with other Nest products.

Like all our Nest products, the Nest Thermostat will keep getting better through software updates. We’ll keep coming up with ways to make things even more thoughtful. So your home is even more thoughtful, too.

You can buy the Nest Learning Thermostat on nest.com for $249.
    The feature that i think is coolest is they have built in some algorithms to help you identify and diagnose problems with your furnace, AC or Humidifier. In particular if it notices your furnace auto shutdown while it is still calling for heat. Not sure many other devices do that at all.

This particular feature would have been immensely helpful last winter when i spent 3 weeks trying to diagnose a furnace problem that ended up costing me a bit over a grand to fix.

So really its a mostly aesthetic change to an already great product. Still love mine.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

booooooooo I just got my nest 2. Looks like the software updates also work with the older models, the new one has the bigger screen and more/accurate sensors.

Having one single account is still weird, should be able to add users and I find the autoaway is not the best if I am upstairs for not even that long, it will turn AC off.

At this point I'm considering buying one just for the looks. Don't give a shit about it troubleshooting my humidifier, I just want to replace the uggo Honeywell unit I've got.

Originally posted by Mibz
    At this point I'm considering buying one just for the looks. Don't give a shit about it troubleshooting my humidifier, I just want to replace the uggo Honeywell unit I've got.
    You want the ecobee3 as that one is Apple approved, Nest is not.
    ---

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast