Quantcast
Air Conditioning for my house - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning for my house

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

I usually fart around in the basement on the computer if its hot out, but it would be nice to have A/C upstairs for when I get hungry, hell I'm thinkin about getting one of those portable a/c units for the garage its basically an oven on hot days.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
    Love, love, love my AC. I went with A&E and have had nothing but good experiences with this company.

The owner was the guy that came and quoted me and also did the install. I got the York 14.5 Seer unit and my install was just a bit more than posted above...but this is going from memory when it was done 3 years ago. They also pulled the permit for me as well. Plus the after care has been nothing but fantastic. The 5" pleated filters at the time I couldn't find them in the standard HomeDepot or Lowe's stores so I called A&E up and with a credit card payment over the phone I was good to go. They even dropped the filters off at my house for me...that speaks volumes about this company considering how it seems most business are now a days with respect to doing things outside the norm.

All in all, I would recommend them 10 times out of 10. I don't remember who from Beyond posted their info originally but thank you!!!
    I also had them do my install finally about 2 weeks ago and it was very well done. I do however need to call them as something seems to not be working quite right, yesterday for example it never shut off from before I got home at 5 until after 9 pm. Not sure if it's not big enough for the house or an issue with my dual zone setup.

However their service and work is top notch.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I decided that 5k was too expensive and installed a screen door instead
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Default AC

Has anyone went through costco? They got a deal going on right now if you buy a unit you can get a costco gift card upto $1500..

http://www.costco.ca/Lennox%C2%AE-Ho....10318178.html

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Default Re: AC

Originally posted by juwantme
    Has anyone went through costco? They got a deal going on right now if you buy a unit you can get a costco gift card upto $1500..

http://www.costco.ca/Lennox%C2%AE-Ho....10318178.html
    Did ours through costco, it was outsourced to arpi's

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by GoChris

I also had them do my install finally about 2 weeks ago and it was very well done. I do however need to call them as something seems to not be working quite right, yesterday for example it never shut off from before I got home at 5 until after 9 pm. Not sure if it's not big enough for the house or an issue with my dual zone setup.

However their service and work is top notch.
    Are you running a programmable thermostat, or is it only turning on when you get home at 5? If so, that's not neccesarily an indicator of a problem. You can't expect it to cool a house from 25 degrees to 20 in a couple of hours when the sun is still beating on the exterior and you have several heat-producing appliances working inside.

Also, your AC unit can't cool your house as fast as your furnace can heat your house. I've previously done the math on this for my house. (See below)

All our appliances like stove, computer, dishwasher, stove, fridge etc all add heat to the system, so they work FOR the furnace and against the AC. The internet says home appliances probably add another 1600 and lighting also 1600 btu/h.
    An Adult at rest generates around 400 btu/h, and while walking around generates 800. High activity can be 2000 btu/h or more.
    Let’s assume the four of us are generating 1200 btu/h.

That means our internal heat load is around 4400 btu/h.

That means the cooling capacity available to actually reduce the temperature in the house is 36,000-4400 = 31,600 btu/h
    Heating capacity is 70,000+4400 = 74,400 btu/h

No idea how much heat is generated by the dark stucco and all the sunlight we get in the afternoons, but it’s pretty significant. Since I can’t estimate it, I left it out.

Anyway, in summary, we have 2.3x more heating capacity in the winter compared to cooling capacity in the summer.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

got my install booked for Tuesday May 12th with A&E HVAC - it was Andrew (I think the owner) who came to do the quote.. I'm getting a 3.5 ton 14 or 13.5 SEER - can't remember. The difference between the lowest SEER and mid-level was only 1dB so I decided it was not worth the extra $750.

They will be pulling the electrical permit as well with the city - but I have a few questions for those who have had AC installed ...

1. Are there any other permits to consider?

2. Are there any bylaws regarding which side of the house the AC should be on?

3. Have there been any complaints made by your neighbours re: noise?

I checked with my neighbour if he was ok with me installing an AC unit in between our houses... he didn't seem to care much... most houses don't have too many windows on the side anyway lol

My Ride
    Trucks

SEER rating is referring the unit's energy efficient and has nothing to do with noise level. And as far as I know the city has a bylaw to have the units at the rear of the house even though it's normally very impractical.

I prefer it to be on a foam(coated in cement-like material) pad placed on the ground, as less vibrations are transferred to your foundation. You may want to get out with a shovel and get a nice 36" square nice and flat beside your home. Also, I believe you need clearance of at least 4' on one side of your home to the property line. So, usually it is placed on the side with window wells, or cantilevers(fireplace, etc), as property lines are usually 4-6' from the house. And most units are at least 28"+ wide. Would be considerate to keep it away from neighbours bedroom windows as best you can.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mine hangs right off my foundation, and I haven't noticed any vibration transfer. It's on the side of my house, actually near the front. The danged attached infill homes make it hard to find a place in the backyard to put it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by Darell_n
    SEER rating is referring the unit's energy efficient and has nothing to do with noise level. And as far as I know the city has a bylaw to have the units at the rear of the house even though it's normally very impractical.
    I don't think there's actually a bylaw for having it placed in the rear of the house... I think there was talk previously about it, but no bylaw changes.

Can someone else confirm?

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I think you just need a certain amount of clearance from your property line to the side of your house. If you mount your a/c on the side, it needs to meet the minimum clearance requirement from the a/c to the property line.

Originally posted by avishal26

I don't think there's actually a bylaw for having it placed in the rear of the house... I think there was talk previously about it, but no bylaw changes.

Can someone else confirm?
    Yes the proposal to ban air conditioners on the side of houses was nixed after they hired a sound engineer and did a study that said that forcing homeowners to install air conditioners at the rear of the house would actually create more noise issues.

This city has a terrible track record of trying to fix noise issues that aren't a problem lol
    ---

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    I think you just need a certain amount of clearance from your property line to the side of your house. If you mount your a/c on the side, it needs to meet the minimum clearance requirement from the a/c to the property line.
    Yeah and it depends on lot zoning at well, IIRC if it's R2N then on one side you are allowed to run basically all the way to the property line as long as you leave X metres clear along the other side of the house.

This is what I found online...

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...r-may-2015.pdf

Are you gearing up for a hot summer by installing air conditioning?

Keep in mind that there are Alberta Building Code and Land Use Bylaw Rules.

Air conditioning equipment in low density residential districts is allowed in the front, rear and one side setback area. There must be one side setback area that is clear of all obstructions from grade (the elevation of the finished ground surface) to a height of 2.4 metres. The unit must not project more than 1 metre into a required setback area. All hardwired air conditioning units, including residential and commercial; ground and wall-mounted, require an electrical permit. Even small, portable types that would be hardwired require an electrical permit due to the voltage required to run them. Air conditioning units can be connected under a Homeowner’s Electrical Permit, providing the homeowner is performing the installation.
    To me this means one side of the house is not allowed to have any protrusion at all up to 2.4m from grade, so my A/C should go on the side that has all gas meters and fireplace protrusion.

HOWEVER, this side of my house is closer to the property line already ( I think this side has 3.5ft- 4ft to property line, whereas the otherside has 5.5 ft or so...)

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Do you have a zero lot line house?

Originally posted by nzwasp
    Do you have a zero lot line house?
    Nope. I think my lot is a R1N? 24' wide house on a ~34' wide by ~112' long lot, single family detached with attached garage.
    Last edited by avishal26; 05-11-2015 at 06:51 PM.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

You can encroach on the side setbacks, all it requires is a variance from the city. You have to go through the building permit office to do this and it will take 3-6 weeks. I just went through this whole process last year, however, they actually told me it is easier to do after it is installed versus getting the approval to install (the way I did it).

^ Cool - thanks for the info.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast