Quantcast
NEST Thermostat your thoughts appreciated - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NEST Thermostat your thoughts appreciated

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I'm thinking of getting the Honeywell Pretige 2.0, because you can hook up multiple remote sensors. The placement of my thermostat is terrible. With this, apparantly you can have multiple sensors, so for the evening, it will use the living room sensor, at night, a bedroom sensor, or just average them.
    I have a Honeywell Prestige from a while ago, not the 2.0 version, but I think for the most part same features.

I have a wireless temperature sensor outside so it knows the outside temp (and adjusts the indoor humidity accordingly in the winter month), as well as a wireless remote which I have upstairs in the bedroom. Right on the remote you can select what devices is used for temperature reading, so you can do exactly as you said, switch to the remote for temp reading, and the furnace will work to make the room temperature as you please in the location of the remote, and not the location of the actual thermostat, they also have a bunch of other sensors you can buy like water leak in basement ect ect. For mine you require and internet gateway for internet connectivity, not sure if that's built in with the new 2.0 system or not.

Another feature I love on my prestige is vacation mode, I can program it well in advance and tell it that I will be leaving the house at a set time on a set date, and come back at some time and date, and it will keep a steady temp the whole time while you are away, but automatically revert to regular schedule once you are back. In the whole time I had this system (about 5 years now) I never found the need to use any internet connectivity to it, so I don't have the internet gateway, but it is an option.

I think the whole nest thing is a fad, it's designed to be simple, but it's too simple for more advanced systems.
    Last edited by eblend; 09-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Some neat stuff from nest today regarding the things they make..
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/n...ation-support/
    Nest's thermostat and Protect smoke detector may help automate your home, but they haven't actually talked directly to home automation systems so far -- a bit of a discrepancy, don't you think? All should be well now, though, since the Works with Nest program has just expanded to support the whole-home automation gear from Control4, Crestron, RTI and URC. If you're fortunate enough to have one of those systems, you can now integrate Nest equipment with home theaters, lighting and anything else that talks to one of the supported control hubs.
    To top it off, Nest is also tying into Google's other big household technology acquisition, Dropcam. Its internet-savvy security cameras can now react to whatever your Nest equipment is doing. If your thermostat says you're away, Dropcam can turn on motion sensing. The smoke protector, meanwhile, can tell Dropcam to record a brief video to prove that there's a real fire. It'll be very expensive to try out any these improvements if you don't already have the necessary setup, but they promise to alleviate a lot of the headaches that come with managing a technology-rich household.
    The dropcam tie-in sounds pretty cool imo

My Ride

are dropcams wireless?

I got an 8 camera system right now that uses the old cctv cams and in the future would like to replace them, and reuse the power cables from the existing cams, but would need wireless capability as I won't be able to reuse my analogue video cables for HD feeds.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by eblend
    are dropcams wireless?

I got an 8 camera system right now that uses the old cctv cams and in the future would like to replace them, and reuse the power cables from the existing cams, but would need wireless capability as I won't be able to reuse my analogue video cables for HD feeds.
    Yes, I belive USB power adapters and wifi. I have been looking into one for a bit to watch the home.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I have been looking at the Nests, I just can't believe that something that expensive doesn't have the ability to receive a signal from a remote sensor.

I'd like some feedback from those that have posted though.

Our house is 3 levels,

Walkout basement has in slab heating controlled by its own thermostat
    Main level and Upstairs run off boiler with forced air controlled by thermostat located on main level in a stupid location (in the hallway on an inside wall, master bedroom is upstairs with tons of windows)
    Garage is in slab heating controlled by its own thermostat

Is there any solution that could do it all?
    More importantly, it seems like the honeywell is the only out of the box solution that could control the main thermostat from the Master Bedroom including sensing temp from the master...is that correct?
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Go4Long
    I have been looking at the Nests, I just can't believe that something that expensive doesn't have the ability to receive a signal from a remote sensor.
    I know, and if you go on the Nest community forums, people have been suggesting this for over 3 years

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I'd like some feedback from those that have posted though.

Our house is 3 levels,

Walkout basement has in slab heating controlled by its own thermostat
    Main level and Upstairs run off boiler with forced air controlled by thermostat located on main level in a stupid location (in the hallway on an inside wall, master bedroom is upstairs with tons of windows)
    Garage is in slab heating controlled by its own thermostat

Is there any solution that could do it all?
    More importantly, it seems like the honeywell is the only out of the box solution that could control the main thermostat from the Master Bedroom including sensing temp from the master...is that correct?
    Sounds like you'll need 3 thermostats to control the 3 heating systems. Wifi them all, then all three will be accessible from your phone anywhere in the world.

Make sure you have the correct number of wires running to the thermostats. Obviously floor/slab heaters wont have a fan wire, but each HW smart system will need 24V, AC.

Somewhat off topic... where to get (and how much is it for) the Honey Prestige 2.0 with the remote sensor? is this thing in the $600 range (amazon.ca)?

oh wait, more searches seems to indicate it is closer to $400
    Last edited by ZeroGravity; 09-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
    Somewhat off topic... where to get (and how much is it for) the Honey Prestige 2.0 with the remote sensor? is this thing in the $600 range (amazon.ca)?

oh wait, more searches seems to indicate it is closer to $400
    I got mine on ebay a while back, I would recommend looking there, cheaper than $400 that's for sure. They have different kits too so depends on what other sensors you get.

Also, there is the NEST competitor from Honeywell called Lyric that can do a bunch of stuff NEST doesn't apparently, looks neat.
    Last edited by eblend; 09-10-2014 at 03:48 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

if it could deal with a remote sensor I would be all over it, since it looks cool.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by eblend

I got mine on ebay a while back, I would recommend looking there, cheaper than $400 that's for sure. They have different kits too so depends on what other sensors you get.

Also, there is the NEST competitor from Honeywell called Lyric that can do a bunch of stuff NEST doesn't apparently, looks neat.
    There are dozens of alternatives to Nest, all that are more functional but not as good looking.

My Ride
    Hatred

I'm in the group that I'd rather have function. I'm never going to be giving a tour of my house and stopping at my thermostat to show it off.
    -U

My Ride

Originally posted by Darell_n

There are dozens of alternatives to Nest, all that are more functional but not as good looking.
    I dunno, i think it looks kind of cool. Good review on how the two compare http://www.slashgear.com/nest-vs-hon...down-10332820/

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Nest is $50 off on the play store today for black friday. Seems like there's a glitch though haha

https://play.google.com/store/device...est_thermostat

edit: available in store too
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...27096907a5en02
    Last edited by jwslam; 11-28-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Mine is not a Nest, but it is programmable... however I set mine to a consistent 23 degrees all winter long and don't touch it.

....and I apparently have one of the lowest heating bills in the "how much utilities" thread for both my previous home and new one.

Coincidence? I think not...

I've never really believed that letting your house cool down while you are at work, then having to reheat it again when you get home… only to cool down when you go to bed and reheat again in the morning was more efficient than just using one temp. I think this whole thermostat savings thing is a scam.
    I've questioned that as well.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science/expert/video/1499

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

if it could deal with a remote sensor I would be all over it, since it looks cool.
    You can add remote sensors with Wallyhome now as i mentioned in another thread.

This is interesting:

Canadian test houses showed an 11-degree setback overnight and during work hours generated a 13 percent savings in gas and a 2 percent savings in electricity (the furnace blower ran less).
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ht-save-energy

My Ride
    78 civic

Nest is on sale at lowes today. This is the first time I've seen them priced below $250.
    http://www.lowes.ca/thermostats/nest...?ProductSlot=3

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Originally posted by killramos

You can add remote sensors with Wallyhome now as i mentioned in another thread.
    Remote temperature sensor - 15 bucks. Wally? 300 and ugly sensors.

In wall, paintable, flush mount remote temp sensor looks 100x better and not ANOTHER app needed.

I'm guessing there is a new Nest on the way for 2015 so time to clear them out.
    ---

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast