Quantcast
More Calgary Tax/Utility Hikes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: More Calgary Tax/Utility Hikes

Default More Calgary Tax/Utility Hikes

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 05:00 PM.

They should start charging a "fee" for any person moving to Calgary from outside of Alberta. $1000/head! Stop all the easterners from coming and ruining Calgary

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Type_S1
    They should start charging a "fee" for any person moving to Calgary from outside of Alberta.
    Considering council is bitching about growth outpacing our resources, this may not be the worst choice in the world.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Originally posted by Type_S1
    They should start charging a "fee" for any person moving to Calgary from outside of Alberta. $1000/head! Stop all the easterners from coming and ruining Calgary
    Can we add gold stars and a special area to hold these rats or we just going with a tax?

Half the population in Calgary is from Saskatchewan, how about a Rider Tax for these easterners born outside Alberta?
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 05-06-2014 at 08:52 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

As long as you get what you pay for, no issue here.

The problem was that we have been getting stuff without paying for it thanks to Bronco and the developers.

Looks like rain barrels it is if I want to help out.

Sprawl is expensive.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Xtrema
    As long as you get what you pay for, no issue here.
    I agree with that, I don't understand the big picture, but on a surface level, I feel like I get pretty good value out of my city taxes. Roads, Sewers, Garbage Collection, Recycling, Street Cleaning, Police, Fire, Transit, Community and Neighborhood services.

I know that there is a certain level of funneling down, but I definitely don't feel the same say about my income taxes.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 05:00 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by sputnik
    Sprawl is expensive.
    So is inner city flooding apparently.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

A zoned transit system would help increase revenue and makes much more sense. I mean why the guy in Sunnyside pays the same as the one from Somerset doesn't make any sense. But for road usage, what can you do? Setup tolls for nonresidents at the city limits?

I'm an extremely low city resource user. Rarely in Calgary until very recently, haven't used transit in probably 4 or 5 years, unaffected by flooding... It's not cheap to live here and the problem is we're still playing catch up to match infrastructure with population.

Pay to play in Calgary?
    Last edited by msommers; 05-06-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by rage2

hiiyooooo. I bought my house high up, it won't flood, I am part of the solution!

Originally posted by msommers
    A zoned transit system would help increase revenue and makes much more sense. I mean why the guy in Sunnyside pays the same as the one from Somerset doesn't make any sense. But for road usage, what can you do? Setup tolls for nonresidents at the city limits?
    People who are wanting zoned transit though on the train at least, are you advocating increased rates for farther away or cheaper rates for closer. Many people farther away would probably rather drive than pay $120+ a month for example. I started driving downtown instead of taking the train and it is awesome.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 04:59 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    It isn't fair and equal...

People who drive in from out of town use Calgary resources everyday and pay nothing

People who rent or live in their moms basement pay fuck all into the system... and yet are far more likely to be using city subsidized services

People who cram 4 or 5 families into a house and use oodles of water, electricity, drive 10 cars and swamp onto subsidized transit pay the same as a single couple who own a home that could be smaller, but has a higher value.

We should be focusing on how to make everybody pay their fair share instead of dumping onto responsible home owners. My property tax and utility bills are topping 1000$ a month at the moment and I use very little city services, I carpool, and have low usage for utilities.

City tax system is broken
    Cliffs: Everyone pays more taxes except for me.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by schocker

People who are wanting zoned transit though on the train at least, are you advocating increased rates for farther away or cheaper rates for closer. Many people farther away would probably rather drive than pay $120+ a month for example. I started driving downtown instead of taking the train and it is awesome.
    Doesn't matter because:

1) There are limited parking spaces
    2) It's completely logical!

Seriously there is a reason why it's commonly used elsewhere in the world. The only reason why it would get resistance here is because we have so much sprawl and outer communities would complain about price increases. Well tough shit because they're using a lot more dollars to accommodate their house in the boonies relative to downtown so why shouldn't they pay more?

Still cheaper than $30+/day parking downtown.

I was half joking about the toll but come to think if it, it wouldn't be that hard to implement. Everyone in Calgary gets a pass to swip themselves through.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 04:59 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

There is plenty of cheap parking downtown though. I was paying $96 for bus pass plus $73 for reserved parking ($8.50/day based on 20 days) and now pay $12.50/day to park. Much nicer to have my car with me.

I am OK with them removing the subsidy on new homes, but older communities also require maintenance and refurbishing so saying that they don't use up infrastructure money is not completely true as their stuff is always breaking

Originally posted by rage2

Nenshi got a nice present with that one.

The city (or the province for that matter) can now increase almost any tax or fee and just use the flood as a scapegoat.

Yes the flood was expensive, however raising taxes over X years shows that they are also trying to shore up infrastructure costs that are spiraling out of control.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Calgary downtown needs a congestion tax, like London has, or something else to deal with all the traffic downtown from the 'burbs.

I'm fine with paying more if I receive better services, but it sounds like these increases will just go to cover the minimum needed for maintenance.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Originally posted by msommers
    I was half joking about the toll but come to think if it, it wouldn't be that hard to implement. Everyone in Calgary gets a pass to swip themselves through.
    I know you are half joking, but it really isn't that easy to implement.

All you have to do is consider how many side roads you would have to have toll booths at and how it would affect traffic. Tolls are best used for allowing access to specific highways, bridges and tunnels and not for access to entire cities.

What bigger cities with huge exurban and suburban populations (outside of the property tax catchment) do is implement a payroll tax. Property tax shrinks for Calgary residents and instead everyone working essentially what amounts to a civic income tax. If you work in Calgary you pay it to pay for city services and your property tax is much smaller.

This leaves people living in Airdrie or wherever paying a full property tax for their home outside of Calgary AND a payroll tax while working within the Calgary city limits.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

True, valid points.

What if I don't care about those hookers in Airdrie?
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast