Quantcast
5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home

My guess is a robbery for cash gone bad. Estate sales are an invitation for greasy people to enter your home when on normal circumstances you would never let in. People can do unimaginable things in extreme circumstances even if they have been a saint for their entire lives.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

It seems to me that there is something people dont know. Maybe the grandparents were gamblers and had a debt to a bad person? There has to be something unseen here. To go from robbery, to murder, is a huge step, not to mention (god forbid) child murder. Petty criminals don't usually just jump into murder/kidnapping.

It seems like it was a well planned job. For nobody in the neighborhood to see, or hear anything. I just have a feeling that the grandparents had something going on that hasnt been figured out....

This kind of thing just turns my guts inside out. I hope everything turns out in the end...

I thought the 10pm drop-off was odd too, but apparently he was just left with them after spending the day at their house:

June 27-29: Kathy and Alvin Liknes hold an estate sale at their Parkhill home in southwest Calgary from 2 p.m. - 7 p.m. MT on Friday and 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. MT on Saturday and Sunday. The couple had recently bought a house in Edmonton and planned to clear out some things before moving. The O'Brien family comes over to help out with the sale throughout the weekend.

June 29, around noon: A neighbour sees Alvin Liknes at a nearby park playing with Nathan.

June 29, 10 p.m.: The estate sale is over and the O'Brien family heads home after a day of helping out. Nathan's mother, Jennifer, leaves him with his grandparents for a sleepover.

June 30, 10 a.m.: Jennifer O'Brien returns to pick up Nathan but finds he and his grandparents are not in the house.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary

Random and probably irrelevant but it is a Cenovus Employees family.

True, robbers or people wanting cash don't typically want a huge altercation with more than 1 person.

Why would a kid stay over after the sale? Everyone should be exhausted after a busy day with random visitors, etc. But to each their own.

Odd how the plea is to return just the kid.

Almost like they owed someone and were selling stuff to skip town?
    This group stopped by and saw they were liquidating to leave?

Had to be more than 1 person to remove 3 people from a house with very little sound.

doesnt make much sense to rob someone and then kidnap them....

whats the end game? turn a robbery into kidnapping, ransom, triple homicide?

seems like way 2 much work, unless there was tons of money involved.

the only problem is we are going on very ltd information, when some banking information would reveal at least a good part of the story.

is it possible a domestic dispute got messy and one party panicked and fled the scene?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

livestream update from CPS @ 1pm:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1897037

Live stream summary:

We can't comment on any of the good questions and we are keeping an open mind of every possiblity.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by mr2mike
    True, robbers or people wanting cash don't typically want a huge altercation with more than 1 person.

Why would a kid stay over after the sale? Everyone should be exhausted after a busy day with random visitors, etc. But to each their own.

Had to be more than 1 person to remove 3 people from a house with very little sound.
    Not odd at all for the child to stay for the night. Good chance he was already asleep, and just figured it was best to leave him. I have kids and they always want to stay at the grandparents whenever given a chance. Grandparents are always happy to have them stay as well.

Really creepy case though. Looking forward to see what actually happened, and hoping for the best.

My Ride
    G6

Police are obviously thinking robbery angle, but what's that got to do with kidnapping? You'd think a robber who got caught would flee (whether before or after hurting someone). But to take people with him... makes no sense.

Also if the kid's been there all day, it makes total sense for the kid to sleep over rather than leaving at 10pm. Kids that age go to bed at like 7:30, so he'd have been long asleep. Parents likely had the next day off and would just pick him up.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Originally posted by mr2mike

No kidding, no love for the parents seems kinda odd...

The other strange thing is, how does 3 people go missing? If 1 person orchastrated this, I could see it being random. However to have 3 people missing, there would have had to have been atleast 2 people (unless they came the intruder came armed), which imo would make it pre-meditated.

Also, I was watching the news and they were saying the grandparents had the estate sale before moving to Edmonton before their final journey to live in Mexico.
    Last edited by jdmXSI; 07-03-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Originally posted by jdmXSI

The other strange thing is, how does 3 people go missing? If 1 person orchastrated this, I could see it being random. However to have 3 people missing, there would have had to have been atleast 2 people (unless they came the intruder came armed), which imo would make it pre-meditated.

Also, I was watching the news and they were saying the grandparents had the estate sale before moving to Edmonton before their final journey to live in Mexico.
    Seems like a feasible situation. Pick off parents, take the inheritance.

My Ride
    Edge

I found it odd that the family was so quick to offer $100,000 for their safe return. If there was going to ever be a ransom demand, the kidnappers now know the parents likely have a fair amount of money or can get their hands on some.

Curious as to whether or not there has been a ransom demand. Could be very telling if there hasn't been one.

My Ride
    Busa

This statement was released a couple hours ago by Staff Sgt. Doug Andrus and reported by the herald. At least they are making headway.

Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...314/story.html
    In the last 24 hours, the case has become "less of a mystery to us," Andrus said. "I can't comment on the degree."

It does seem odd... Possibly the grandparents disapproved of something going on with the child and absconded with him, ostensibly for his own protection?

watching the news and they were saying the grandparents had the estate sale before moving to Edmonton before their final journey to live in Mexico.
    They have property in Mexico and there is also family members with property down south , they would still reside in Edmonton though. Every time a reporter asked about Mexico the Chief of police almost looked annoyed and kept repeating that he does not believe they are there (which I doubt they are, I am pretty sure they can track those flight details).

The only real piece of information I have gotten from this whole fiasco is that they found drag marks on the ground. Maybe they were drugged then taken off? Also apparently they do have video footage of the possible vehicle and are reviewing it. This all seems very odd..

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

So they had an all-day estate sale.

Did they deposit their sales monies? That there, gives me an indication of a robber's motive -- seeing all the cash sales. Could've been thousands of dollars.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Edge

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast