Quantcast
Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

Originally posted by pheoxs

Income from renters is definitely taxable. Unless you are renting for significantly under market value (i.e. your brother is chipping you a few hundred for a cheap place to live) or your expenses out weigh your income.

Hmm well guess I was wrong. Although I googled quickly to try and read, its seems like more often than not for a situation of renting one room out in your house that is mortgaged you would almost always wash out anyways. Balancing the rent income vs expenses, mortage interest, etc etc as it listed.

I am definitely not a situation where you own several duplexes or apartment and renting them out all over.

That or I would just argue that I had it rented at less than market value (which I was being quite nice) as per the other statement in the tax guidelines on the site. Funny enough with the current market it is very difficult to rent out a room in a brand new house in Aspen lol, that or kijiji is not an effective place to list. Might have to try rent finder or such. Andddd now way off thread topic.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Try rentfaster.ca

But a room at Aspen may not be as desirable unless it's the units right across from the 69th St C-Train station.

Don't know how renting out room at primary works but I would assume % of mortgage interest, condo fee, utility can be written off against the rental income which hope that's a wash anyway.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-18-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Try rentfaster.ca

But a room at Aspen may not be as desirable unless it's the units right across from the 69th St C-Train station.

Don't know how renting out room at primary works but I would assume % of mortgage interest, condo fee, utility can be written off against the rental income which hope that's a wash anyway.
    Yah I think I might give that site a try here, its been about 6 weeks of listing without much work off kijiji. It isn't right across the street, its up 85th a bit, under 3kms or just a 2 minute drive. Oh well, joys of vacancy going up I guess.

From what I read quickly after his comment to mine, yes you can write off mortgage interest, any fees, utilities, property taxes, insurance, advertising, maintenance etc.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Originally posted by colinxx235

Yup, I got dinged for that too. Work was crazy and couldn't use it, and then got punished for it.
    So if you know you are getting laid off, and you will have a lot of vacation days paid out, it would be wise to request them to be paid out before you get laid off?

Originally posted by leftwing

So if you know you are getting laid off, and you will have a lot of vacation days paid out, it would be wise to request them to be paid out before you get laid off?

Well it is kind of tough, depends on work and if you will know I guess. Also if they either let you get them paid out or take them (which most probably won't). Mine was a quick blind side because of how many clients cancelled projects in a matter of two weeks over xmas holidays. I knew it wasn't good but thought I would get floated a bit with other work.

It helps if you can ask them to break it up so you don't get a massive paycheck that is taxed in higher brackets. In the end it will balance but isn't a great feeling when you might need that extra cash earlier.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 02:03 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Do you know how they found out if you don't mind me asking
    They run a flight check on you routinely while or if applying for EI so don't lie.

I remember that when I filled out the form.

Also to figure out when you're eligible for EI if you got a package, apply and they'll say when you're eligible due to reported income by your former employer.

I applied the moment I got the walking papers and found out I wasn't eligible after ~2 weeks haha.

If you get selected for the information session, you're also suppose to bring a list of places you've been applying to IIRC.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey, here's a question, if you are receiving EI benefits, and would like to start a business, but you predict that business will have zero income for a certain start-up period, how does that change your answer to the "did you do any work, paid or unpaid" questions?
    I don't think it matters if it's an incorporated business or a sole proprietorship, but maybe that also does?
    Let's assume if it was incorporated, you were the sole shareholder, director and worker. Just a one-man show.

EDIT: seems like it should be spelled out on this web page, but I'm still somewhat confused. http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/...employed.shtml
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-07-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    The EI Gravy Train - Choo Choo!

I'm pretty sure that if you start a business, you then count as "self employed" and not "unemployed, regardless of the revenue or profitability of the business. If you are "self-employed" then you are not eligible to receive EI benefits. That's how I read the rules on the service Canada website.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e...employed.shtml

There is some kind of "working while on claim" thing, but I don't understand that.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e...tion/wwc.shtml

Two questions I don't know the answer to are:
    a) would service caada even know that you started a business?
    and b) would they give you advice about this situation if you phoned them that wouldn't require you identifying yourself and putting your claim in jeopardy?

Any of the other EI experts on here have experience with this question?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Hey, here's a question, if you are receiving EI benefits, and would like to start a business, but you predict that business will have zero income for a certain start-up period, how does that change your answer to the "did you do any work, paid or unpaid" questions?
    I don't think it matters if it's an incorporated business or a sole proprietorship, but maybe that also does?
    Let's assume if it was incorporated, you were the sole shareholder, director and worker. Just a one-man show.

EDIT: seems like it should be spelled out on this web page, but I'm still somewhat confused. http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/...employed.shtml
    I already filed my EI 4 weeks ago but I still have 6 weeks left before they would start paying me, in that time I incorporated and started working. The EI agent said to just stop filing reports (or in my case since i didnt do that, never file them) and then if the money dried up from contracting I can just file for EI again which will reactivate the claim and I can use it again since its already approved in their system - no new ROE required.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by nzwasp

I already filed my EI 4 weeks ago but I still have 6 weeks left before they would start paying me, in that time I incorporated and started working. The EI agent said to just stop filing reports (or in my case since i didnt do that, never file them) and then if the money dried up from contracting I can just file for EI again which will reactivate the claim and I can use it again since its already approved in their system - no new ROE required.
    What if you have incorporated, and are putting effort into the business, but you haven't generated any revenue/sales/profit/billable hours?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Well I would be curious to know too because even though I am not getting payments right now I am working but I am not receiving actual pay until end of Jan 2016.

I think it would be unethical to be receiving EI at the moment. And the govt prob has the same policy.

This thread my provide some additional info

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ei-wa...siness-741289/
    Last edited by nzwasp; 12-15-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by nzwasp
    Well I would be curious to know too because even though I am not getting payments right now I am working but I am not receiving actual pay until end of Jan 2016.
    but are you working billable time for a client?

My Ride
    Ford F150

One of the EI report questions is essentially "Are you currently doing work which will be paid at a later date?".
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    One of the EI report questions is essentially "Are you currently doing work which will be paid at a later date?".
    So if you are not getting paid later than your ok??

Example: volunteer work, or "pro bono" work
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

Originally posted by 250and3

There is some kind of "working while on claim" thing, but I don't understand that.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e...tion/wwc.shtml

Two questions I don't know the answer to are:
    a) would service caada even know that you started a business?
    and b) would they give you advice about this situation if you phoned them that wouldn't require you identifying yourself and putting your claim in jeopardy?

Any of the other EI experts on here have experience with this question?
    A)
    If you start a business you link your SIN number to GST collection so I would guess yes, they can dig into it. But question is do they?

B)
    You could ask "hypothetical" questions and see what answers they give just don't disclose who you are. Maybe best to ask a prof accountant ?
    They may have previously had clients in same situation ?
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I am doing billable work in my situation, but are you Extraslow because if you are just ramping up your business it sounds non billable and further more that no revenue is being generated.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In my case, that's correct, no billable work, no revenue, and not even currently anything that will be billable in the future. I'm doing business setup work currently.

I do plan to ask Service Canada about this, but I could see them considering me "not available for work" since I'm busy doing this other work. I'm not big on fraud either, so I don't plan on lying about my situation.

The second they consider you "self employed" your benefits will stop. Doesn't matter if you're making any money, or even getting paid at all. Self-employed=no benefits.

I was on it one time and after a month or so they sent me a questionaire. One of the questions was "do you control your working times?".
    I answered honestly "yes". I wasn't working and was reporting no income. When I WAS working my boss would tell me where the job was and go do it, but was up to me to determine what time, what day, etc etc. The second they saw that "yes"...."UH! SELF EMPLOYED! And by the way...because you're self employed you owe us the money we've paid you already".

Yes I opened up a dispute, and their decision was still upheld, even though I explained why I answered like that.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast