Quantcast
Nest Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nest Thread

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

In somewhat of the same topic is anyone using a smart video doorbell like ring or august? The wife wants one and im not sure which one to go with.
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Originally posted by schocker

How else are you going to get power
    I will just run mine through my garage and then under the soffitt. The cable and power adapter can be painted aswell.

Wired through the mount where someone couldn't just walk up and cut it? The only ones that have exposed wires are meant for high placement where people can't get to them. The picture on Nest's website is just by the door.

If you want a door camera, get the 2016 Ring, Skybell, etc.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by phreezee
    Wired through the mount where someone couldn't just walk up and cut it? The only ones that have exposed wires are meant for high placement where people can't get to them. The picture on Nest's website is just by the door.

If you want a door camera, get the 2016 Ring, Skybell, etc.
    Nothing is stopping someone from running the wire themselves, just need to run it into an outlet at the end. This is meant to be easy to just buy and setup and people don't want to do a complicated setup with drilling through and hiding the wire. Indoor cam is the same way and you need to hide the wire as well otherwise it is just dangling.

Nothing is stopping someone from running the wire themselves, just need to run it into an outlet at the end. This is meant to be easy to just buy and setup and people don't want to do a complicated setup with drilling through and hiding the wire. Indoor cam is the same way and you need to hide the wire as well otherwise it is just dangling.
    The wire will still run down the bottom and not a gooseneck mount and into the wall.
    Beyond the wiring, a thief could just steal the entire camera. The mount uses freaking magnets?!?!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12...ity-waterproof

You gotta be some kind of fanboy to buy this. Not to mention it's only rated for -20C which makes it unsuitable for Canada.

My Ride
    Grimace

The person would still be on camera walking up to grab/cut it. Not everyone wants to take hours to run cables and setup a camera when I would be able to have this up and running in 20mins. I am guessing it can operate outside of that range to begin with and how many days do we have colder than -20 °C. I like the nest ecosystem and had been looking at getting an indoor cam to point outdoors and this is a much better solution.

Not everyone wants to take hours to run cables and setup a camera when I would be able to have this up and running in 20mins.
    15 minute setup using existing wiring with cheaper cloud recording.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The person would still be on camera walking up to grab/cut it.
    No they wouldn't. There's a 5-10 min lag from when you're on camera to when the video gets uploaded to the Nest servers. You can slowly walk up to the camera with a ladder, set up the ladder, climb up, cut the cable, and take the camera.

Don't believe me? Go walk up to your nest cam right now and pull the power. See if you see it on your nest account haha. Unless you're watching it live, you ain't gonna see shit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

That is a doorbell cam. I want a cam above my garage pointing down my driveway. I also don't want to use a second app for a $300 camera pointing at my front tree. I am guessing nest will also be buidling a doorbell cam and the I would get it

I thought you were talking about the big dome POE cams.

Originally posted by rage2

No they wouldn't. There's a 5-10 min lag from when you're on camera to when the video gets uploaded to the Nest servers. You can slowly walk up to the camera with a ladder, set up the ladder, climb up, cut the cable, and take the camera.

Don't believe me? Go walk up to your nest cam right now and pull the power. See if you see it on your nest account haha. Unless you're watching it live, you ain't gonna see shit.
    I mean if they walk up and are in view of the camera though, you would get the motion alert. Mine is instant on that warning if I get home and it is still away. Never timed the offline camera.
    Last edited by schocker; 07-14-2016 at 03:55 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Looks like nest has lots in the pipeline which is great news.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ecurity-system

Cheaper Thermostat
    Alarm System
    Doorbell Cam
    New Indoor Camera
    Also saw elsewhere remote temp sensors

I'm kind of tied in to Nest because I have both the thermostat and fire alarms. I really hope they add the remote sensors, from reading everyone's experience with the ecobee the sensors wold come in really handy.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by cet
    I'm kind of tied in to Nest because I have both the thermostat and fire alarms. I really hope they add the remote sensors, from reading everyone's experience with the ecobee the sensors wold come in really handy.
    Yeah, I don't know if I would get them, but lotsssss of people bitch and moan that nest doesn't have them. I am guessing most of this stuff is 2018 but oh well at least now people know. I am already looking into getting an outdoor camera but I would definitely like a doorbell cam.

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

They are introducing remote sensors....FINALLY!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Let's hope it's not just another broken promise. Nest has been saying they're releasing stuff since forever. Hell, they talked about remote sensors in 2012? 3 separately companies have made them for nest, sold poorly, and gone under since Nest first suggested remote sensors.

cet, you have 2 devices, I wouldn't called that tied in.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

^ 3 smoke detectors and the thermostat; you're right, not hugely tied in but enough that I don't want to mess around changing everything. Plus, I like how they work together. Once I get Control 4 set up I may look at the thermostat again if they haven't made any changes.

My Ride
    Grimace

hi rage, this is an ecobee free zone plz

I think one of the main issues was the CEO switch to get rid of the toxic environment. Sounds like he would just ask for things and then shut them down halfway through the project. Hopefully development speeds up though as they are currently at the same pace as sonos which is real slow.

My Ride
    Grimace

Nest Press conference right now
    Currently announced: Nest IQ Outdoor cam and Nest Hello (Doorbell), still coming probably security and remote sensors.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/nest-lives...time-and-more/

Looks like no sensors today:
    Nest IQ Outdoor Q4 2017 $350 usd
    Nest Hello (Doorbell) Q1 2018
    Nest Secure (November, but I think US only until 2018) $500 usd for Base/sensor, 2 door sensors and 2 key tags
    Nest IQ Indoor getting google assistant Q4 2017

No remote sensors today.
    Last edited by schocker; 09-20-2017 at 10:50 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Since this is related, everyone should be aware that Energy Efficiency Alberta is offering a $100 rebate on the most popular smart thermostats:

https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/onl...t-thermostats/

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since this is related, everyone should be aware that Energy Efficiency Alberta is offering a $100 rebate on the most popular smart thermostats:

https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/onl...t-thermostats/
    Yup. Money's in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's hope it's not just another broken promise. Nest has been saying they're releasing stuff since forever. Hell, they talked about remote sensors in 2012? 3 separately companies have made them for nest, sold poorly, and gone under since Nest first suggested remote sensors.

cet, you have 2 devices, I wouldn't called that tied in.
    Does anyone remember the Wally integration for remote sensors. It was terrible and pushed me straight to Ecobee.

My Ride
    IS350

Is anyone able to confirm if the Nest or alternatives (Ecobee, etc) can control humidity or would I still need to keep the separate control unit on the wall for that? It's a newer high efficiency furnace with the humidifier and HRV.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast