Quantcast
Popeye's Chicken Opening Up In Calgary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Popeye's Chicken Opening Up In Calgary

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by BigMass

that $5 magically turns into $20 when it hits Canada for some reason :p that's the problem with these damn US chains that people get excited about. Carl's is good, but in Canada it costs me the same as a burger at Earls. Sorry.
    You're absolutely correct.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone count the number of white people in that news reel?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Had this stuff for the first time during a road trip down the west USA coast.

I liked it. Quite a bit.

The chicken itself is good. Breading is light, but there is a fair amount of it. Taste is good - it has a real southern buttermilk flavour to it. What I think I liked the most is that it wasn't dripping with grease like you get at KFC.

But what really sets it apart from KFC is the sides. Sides you might actually want to eat and don't resemble synthetic food.

At the end of the day, it really is fast food junk. But on those rare occasions that I want to do my body a disservice, I'll give it another go for sure.

My Ride
    M3P

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Exactly, where's that thread now? Popeye's is considered a low-class, "poor people's" joint down in the states.

I hope to see some of the other brands pop up here though, like In-N-Out, Super Duper Burger, Panera and White Castle.

Oh, and a Chipotle would be good too, now that most of the Taco Bells have all but disappeared.
    Popeyes isn't considered low class by any means, neither is it inexpensive in USA, Asia or in other parts of Canada.

Perhaps you're being a bigot and generalizing your information based on the people you assume that eat fried chicken?

You think Popeyes is low class but you hope for a White Castle to open in Calgary?

Originally posted by BigMass
    There's nothing wrong with "cheap junk" alternatives once in a while but when these chains hit Canada, the "cheap" part goes away and all that's left is the "junk".

Nobody goes to whitecastle to get a Gordon Ramsay handcrafted burger. They go for 25 cent sliders and to buy 100 of them when they're drunk or hungover. When they come to Canada they'll cost $5 each and be completely pointless. Popeyes is fine, but nobody will want to pay Calgary prices for it. Then on the other side you have places like Carl's Jr that costs more than dining out at Earls.

Places that have made it work are 5 guys and smashburger who have great product at the right price. Not many can accomplish that.
    The prices will be in line with how much it is in the states based on the dollar. I've had it in Ontario and it cost as much as it did for me to buy in Houston with conversion and fees which is slightly higher than the same amount of food at somewhere like KFC or Fritou

I'm actually a huge fan of Popeyes and I am very happy to see this chain open up here.

Hoping to see a Panda Express open here.
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 10-09-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Shouldn't this be as simple as 'if you don't like it, then don't go?'

I'm not one to go out very often, maybe once a month if that but I do enjoy my CB's while others despise it. I don't knock them for their choices nor should they knock me for mine. I'm relatively fit, maybe a bit over weight but I really don't give a damn if Popeyes or some other chain comes to Canada. I most likely won't ever eat there but at the same time there obviously is a market that they feel can be profitable for them. Is eating there any worse than those that choose to dine at home on mostly what comes out of a box?
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Compared to ghetto Popeyes

Not all fast food restaurants are in the same category. Would you say that 5 Guys is the same as McD's?

For example, to eat at Super Duper Burger you have to a) be in San Francisco and b) spend up to $25USD pp for a full meal with desert.
    They also cook their patties medium well, so you know it's not some value chain.
    This is racist!

^i think the point is that people have said "I hope it's as good as the hype", which is why others are responding that it's just shitty, cheap, unhealthy, corporate fast food.

Why anyone would want to eat that shit is beyond me, especially given all if the other independent quick food options in Calgary. But then again, why anyone would want to eat processed food from a box is beyond me too. To each their own I suppose, but this is why half the population is obese.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I ate 7-11 fried chicken in the hood 3 pieces for 5 bucks.
    And ill say it was good.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I had it once at the airport in Houston. It was interesting as i had never had corn bread before. I think based on demographics they picked a good location for Calgary.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Had Popeye's on Jeju island... the place was packed and the chicken was better than any Korean fried chicken I've had.

Can't wait for them to open here.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I have had Popeyes once, I thought it was fantastic, I am a huge cornbread fan as well. I will there one day and enjoy it.

I tried Popeye's chicken once after watching Little Nicky.. Chicken is ok, I almost choked on the cornbread cause it was so dry.. I probably wont eat it again.. lol

My Ride
    This and that.

Had spicy chicken strips in Vegas a couple of months ago. Liked it.

PS: Had White Castle too as I wanted to see what the hype was all about and it was completely shit. So much so that I will never try it again even if they opened up locally.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 10-11-2016 at 04:33 PM.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

I love Popeye's. Not as good as some I've tried, but way better than Chicken on the Way and KFC. I've been to a Popeye's in Seattle a bunch of times. It's always been a pretty good experience. Chicken was good, Cajun mashed potatoes and biscuits were also very good. Can't wait for the local opening.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Had spicy chicken strips in Vegas a couple of months ago. Liked it.

PS: Had White Castle too as I wanted to see what the hype was all about and it was completely shit. So much so that I will never try it again even if they opened up locally.
    I went to a 24hr White Castle in Harlem. The place was rigged like a bank, the counter was covered in full length bullet proof glass from the floor to the ceiling and cameras set up. I had to order food through a speaker and grab my food from an small sliding door through the glass.

There was a brownspot on the floor where the DYI drink fountain used to be. It had to be moved behind the glass because apparently, people would come in during the late hours and fill plastic bags with soda and run out the door.

As far as food goes, White Castle is pretty crappy. The Crave Case was okay, but I would say only good when your stoned or drunk.
    Last edited by JordanEG6; 10-12-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    M3P

There is no cornbread at Popeyes, it's a biscuit.

Put some butter and honey on it - Delicious

Originally posted by dj_rice
    I like the location. In the ghetto dirty south. Smart move by them.
    Very smart move. I cant wait to try this out after seeing all the commercials

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Unsweetened Ice Tea?
    My favorite thing about the US

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by JordanEG6
    I love Popeye's. Not as good as some I've tried, but way better than Chicken on the Way and KFC. I've been to a Popeye's in Seattle a bunch of times. It's always been a pretty good experience. Chicken was good, Cajun mashed potatoes and biscuits were also very good. Can't wait for the local opening.

I went to a 24hr White Castle in Harlem. The place was rigged like a bank, the counter was covered in full length bullet proof glass from the floor to the ceiling and cameras set up. I had to order food through a speaker and grab my food from an small sliding door through the glass.

There was a brownspot on the floor where the DYI drink fountain used to be. It had to be moved behind the glass because apparently, people would come in during the late hours and fill plastic bags with soda and run out the door.

As far as food goes, White Castle is pretty crappy. The Crave Case was okay, but I would say only good when your stoned or drunk.
    Lol that White Castle sounds interesting. The wife and I were in Florida a few months ago and driving to the Key West. We got hungry and I decided to pull off the highway to look for food. I guess we didn't know the kind of area we were going into, the McDonald's there was the ghetto'est one ever (no bullet holes or anything but just the crowd). The looks we got driving through in our bright Yellow Mustang convertible were interesting. I didn't care though as we were starving. Sat inside, had our food then left but I didn't leave the convertible top open when I parked the car though Haha.

The White Castle I went to was in Vegas on the strip so not bad at all as far as condition of it was concerned. However, the food was less than stellar and the meat felt fake or off. We had the 10 burger pack and the ladies couldn't even finish one so me and the other guy ended up eating most and feeling like crap after.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:14 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by shakalaka
    However, the food was less than stellar and the meat felt fake or off.
    I know what you're describing and it's supposed to taste exactly like that.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast