Quantcast
Suits? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Suits?

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

How much does she charge (roughly) each for pants, shirt, suit of decent quality? The only pricing on her website seems to be consultation fees.
    I only had suits made, but the $900+ range for a vitale barberis fabric suit (from memory). I imagine there are nicer and cheaper options. Some of my suits are in storage but I could probably post up some comparison pictures between a few tailors in Calgary.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

How much does she charge (roughly) each for pants, shirt, suit of decent quality? The only pricing on her website seems to be consultation fees.
    http://www.atelierbyensemble.com/ is the suit specific info for her business.

For the quality, really all depends on what you want and the quality of the fabric.

Last suit was $750 for pants and jacket and the quality was great. I believe the pants were $300 and jacket $450.

The suit before that I only paid about $450, quality of the fabric wasn't as good, but it fits like a glove and I'm still wearing it every week.

I believe shirts are around $60-100.

Basically, you set up an appointment with her, she either comes to you, or you go to her studio. Does all your measurements, you pick the fabric (she gives you advice if you don't know what you are looking for) and she provides a quote after based on the type of material how much of it you need.
    Last edited by dezmarez; 01-16-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Thanks!

Shirts sound about perfect at $60-100 but $300 for pants is too much (for me). Maybe different materials would be cheaper. Sounds like her suits are priced well if you don't go nuts with the materials.

Does she farm it out or make them herself? Turnaround time is the same as the online places so I am guessing she farms it out.

Anyone have both Ensemble and Huey Lam stuff they have compared?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-16-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Originally posted by sneek

Big YMMV on them. I have a suit from them that is really meh - it wasn't really what fit me perfectly and they weren't too keen to fix things. That said this was probably early 2015 or so when they did in person measuring (in Calgary). I heard they since moved to some 3D measuring or something along those lines
    Fair enough, opinions are certainly bound to vary from customer to customer. My measures from them are all taken manually, and they have been great. I guess it depends on the person measuring you with the element of human error.

Suits are clearly a finicky item... i can only place my praise where i have been well taken care of and deem it necessary to spread the word.

Originally posted by beyond_ban

Fair enough, opinions are certainly bound to vary from customer to customer. My measures from them are all taken manually, and they have been great. I guess it depends on the person measuring you with the element of human error.

Suits are clearly a finicky item... i can only place my praise where i have been well taken care of and deem it necessary to spread the word.
    Absolutely! I know a few people who have had good experiences with them. I suspect they sent the "new guy" to Calgary. It was too long ago but I want to say I had Matt? I am sure I have the card somewhere.

Anyone have both Ensemble and Huey Lam stuff they have compared?
    I haven't tried Huey yet but I am sure I will find an excuse to buy a suit through them sooner or later. Lauren is my stylist/shopper for my casual clothes too, so it is always easy for me to order through her.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I've had a couple suits made at O'Connors on 1st and they always do a great job. I think their suits start at $1k too.

Suits by Huey out of Wild Rose Cleaners near 17th ave. My most expensive 2-peice was $550 and it made the quality of my premium Indochino suits look so poor I stopped wearing them. He uses 3D body scanning technology so book in advanced.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    FB6

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    Suits by Huey out of Wild Rose Cleaners near 17th ave. My most expensive 2-peice was $550 and it made the quality of my premium Indochino suits look so poor I stopped wearing them. He uses 3D body scanning technology so book in advanced.
    I'm interested in this place. How would you say their style and fit is? Modern and slim?

I have an indochino suit and it fits nice, but if you say the quality is even better at Huey for that price (plus it's local), I need to check them out for my wedding party's suits.

I sent an appointment request to Huey Lam 2 days ago and am still waiting to hear back. Hopefully he's just busy.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

damn you guys are not making it an easy choice between a fitted and a made one..

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    damn you guys are not making it an easy choice between a fitted and a made one..
    Most of these suggestions will be just fine for you, no matter what you pick. These guys are just super picky about suits

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Being completely new to it, does it not make more sense to do an off the rack one, cause at least you can try it on and see it? Vs knowing virtually nothing if i go to somewhere like Huey?

Being completely new to it, does it not make more sense to do an off the rack one, cause at least you can try it on and see it? Vs knowing virtually nothing if i go to somewhere like Huey?
    In my opinion no, because either way you are going to have to have small alterations made to it before it's perfect if it's your first suit, and chances are the custom one will be a noticeably better fit in the end.

Also if you use a Calgary tailor like Huey or Ensemble, it's even easier than online because you don't even have to take your own measurements. The chances of them screwing up are pretty much zero, and they will tune it up before final delivery for you anyway.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

mtm suits are based on an off the rack suit. You will try one on, then it will get made to your actual measurements

A completely custom suit that is entirely customized is bespoke, which no one in here is recommending for you.

At least that's my experience
    Last edited by killramos; 01-18-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by killramos

mtm suits are based on an off the rack suit. You will try one on, then it will get made to your actual measurements

A completely custom suit that is entirely customized is bespoke, which no one in here is recommending for you.
    told ya i knew nothing!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Honestly if you go in, and off the rack fits you perfectly. Great. But at least know MTM is an option is there are a few things to nitpick on.

I don't know how somene like Huey handles this though, but at HRosen last time i was in i tried on half the store before picking a style that worked for me and then we went into MTM options after that.

Have fun with it, heck even if its not in your budget go to HRosen for an hour or 2 and try a bunch on and work with a guy, its not like there is any obligation to buy. The might just have more selection and allow you to educate yourself on the topic. btw go DT not to chinook. Chinook HR is useless.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

btw go DT not to chinook. Chinook HR is useless.
    all day. The downtown location has more stock and more knowledgeable staff IMO. If the OP is genuinely interested in learning more about suits then DT HR is a pretty good place to go and learn. It could be pricey though...they make it so easy to spend money there.

btw go DT not to chinook. Chinook HR is useless.
    Best advice yet!

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Personally i like Henry Singer in bankers hall. Might just be me, but i have always had a positive experience every time i went there.

If you can, try to find a fit online or like a celebrity wearing a suit that you like the fit of; that will help immensely for the style you want. Depending on your body type it they can get their tailor to take in a suit to match.

Myself for example, i am tall and skinny, but i have broad shoulders and no chest. I like suits where the legs taper in and there is absolutely no break of the pants. That means that my pants fall just above my shoes and they don't fold over or crinkle at all for a very clean look. To some people it looks like and may appear that my pants are too short. My jackets i like very slim and actually shorter, because my of lack of chest, small waist and broad shoulders even with significant tailoring, my lapels woulds till pop out. For that perfect fit, i had to go made to measure; and the guys at henry singer were of great help and pretty much taught me everything i know now to eventually come to that conclusion.

edit: this was for my wedding suit as well. As i was getting married on a beach, the fabrics they recommended were very light and i wasn't sweating balls on the beach fully suited up.

I grabbed a Coppley suit and i believe it was around 1400 dollars. With all the other wedding expenses i actually ended up financing my suit at henry singer. Its a 0% interest payment plan, can't go wrong with that; the only requirement is that the suit you purchase is over $1000 and your payment plan is spread over 6 months with no interest and service charges. They just charged my visa every month, it worked out very well and was pretty simple.
    Last edited by Prelude_dude; 01-19-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Originally posted by realazy

I'm interested in this place. How would you say their style and fit is? Modern and slim?

I have an indochino suit and it fits nice, but if you say the quality is even better at Huey for that price (plus it's local), I need to check them out for my wedding party's suits.
    Slightly more relaxed/mature looking than the Indochino suit. Huey has a ton of fabric to pick from so take your time. Ask him his opinion and he'll quickly sort out the garbage fabrics.

Two cool features of Huey's suits...
    1) You know those buttons at the tip of your sleeve? His works, so you can roll up your suits sleeves.
    2) The pocket flaps can be tucked in.

There is another cool feature that I got him to do with mine but I don't want to share it. Bespoke design detail, etc.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast