Quantcast
LED Light bulbs? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 37 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Light bulbs?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default LED Light bulbs?

Anyone know where I can buy LED light bulbs with edison base locally? I'm looking to switch some lighting to LED to cut energy use... well, plus they last forever, and I'm lazy when it comes to changing bulbs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Sentra

I got some at costco, they seem very good, no delay or dimness when you first turn them on. I've switched almost every bulb in my house.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How much are they? And how bright are they? I heard 5W LED is about the same as 40W normal bulb in brightness? What's the best way to find out what bulb I need? (I use mostly 100W bulbs in my house).
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Sentra

they have 60w equivalent, which are about 13W i think.
    they were...I dunno, maybe a couple bucks a bulb, i forget.

they should also have the 100w replacements. they always say what they are the same as. 23W or so will replace a 100W bulb.

but now that I write this, those would be the flourescent bulbs...probably not led, but they save huge also. you can put a 23W to replace a 60W incadecent, save power and it will be brighter.

I bought some LED bulbs at http://www.superbrightleds.com I don't know if you will find what your looking for.

I switched all the interior wedge bulbs to 6-LED each on my LS400.....results are pretty awesome.

There should be some household bulbs on there. Good Luck

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Costco stuff are not LED.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oldschool bump and update.

4 and a half years later, I finally converted my whole house to LED bulbs during the holidays. Prices for LED bulbs have dropped significantly, and is now more affordable to get it done.

My goal wasn't really to save energy, I really hated changing light bulbs, and with LEDs lasting 10-20 years, it should help me continue to live my lazy life.

The biggest problem I ran into is the lack of stock on LED bulbs throughout the city. I guess they're not popular enough yet. I had to clear out multiple stores in the city to get enough bulbs for a single house, which is kinda ridiculous.

So first, I hit Rona and grabbed a bunch of their Globe LED bulbs for $20 a pop. They're cool white (around 5000k color temp) and looked great in the store. Cleaned out the Crowfoot store (all 9) and installed them into my bedroom. While 5000k looks awesome in stores, it looks really creepy at home. First off, it's quite dim, equivilent to 20W. 5000k temps meant it's a slight greenish light... reminds me of the movie Hostel. Not exactly bedroom friendly. So, I moved them to the kitchen where I have an auto light sensor, which apparently aren't compatible (these bulbs aren't dimmable). They started flickering really badly, which made it even more creepy. Back to the store they went.

Next up was Lowes. They had their Feit Electric 7.5W 450 Lumens 3000k Color Temp (40W Equivilent) dimmable bulbs on clearance, apparently, they're discontinuing these from their Canadian stores. After hitting every Lowes in the city, I managed to round up the last 35 of these bulbs in the city at $12.98 a pop (they normally sell for $30 a pop). At 3000k, these were perfect, and covered most of the house where I had multiple bulbs in my fixtures.

For the rooms with only single bulbs in the fixtures, I went to Home Depot and picked up 15 of the Philips 12.5W 800 Lumens 2700k Color Temp (60W Equivilent) dimmable bulbs. They look funky, so they won't work where the bulbs are exposed which wasn't a problem for me. But they are very bright, brightest LED's I've seen. It mimics an incandescent bulb perfectly, and in comparison is closer to 80W than 60W equivilency rating, probably because it emits light in more directions.

So in total, 50 bulbs later, my whole house is LED. Total cost including taxes (but not gas for driving everywhere... Lowes from Crossiron to Mckenzie Town sucked) was a little under $950. I did notice that these bulbs don't put out much heat (with the exception of how hot the heatsink gets). My room is noticably colder with the lights on, so I think I have to crank the heat up a little, which would probably negate the effects of the energy savings in the winter.

In a month, I'll see how big of a difference it makes on my power bills. Here are some pics:

Light fixture with the Feits:

Philips vs Feit:

Feit (left) vs Philips (right) light output and pattern:

My Ride
    CBR 929

I plan on stocking up on old school light bulbs, cannot stand the color of the LED's and the new energy efficient bulbs. No matter how "warm" they say the light it, it is always cool or blue/green tinted. I find they make food look less appetizing, hate reading with them and are terrible for doing make up in the bathroom (female).

[url]

I picked up a Silvania 60w equivilent 3000K (13.5W LED 2700K) bulb from Lowes for $30.. (ouch. lol but its the dimmable kind) and its great, i have it in one of the two most frequently used standup lamps. My GF is quite sensitive to those CCFL lights and she approves of this one.

Last edited by Alterac; 12-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by bignerd
    I plan on stocking up on old school light bulbs, cannot stand the color of the LED's and the new energy efficient bulbs. No matter how "warm" they say the light it, it is always cool or blue/green tinted. I find they make food look less appetizing, hate reading with them and are terrible for doing make up in the bathroom (female).
    You're buying the wrong ones, I made the same mistake. Those are 5000k "cool white". If you like incandescent, get the warmest color you can find. The Philips one matches incandescent bulbs perfectly in color output, and is even better for distinguishing colors (ie reading a color chart). Pick one up at Home Depot to try, if you don't like it you can always return it (so I can buy it open box at 1/2 price lol).

If you're talking about those CFL bulbs, they're well above 3000k which is why you get that blue/green tint. That and they actually flicker at a really high rate, so I can't stand them.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by bignerd
    I'm the exact opposite. I can't stand the yellow. I changed all my car interior lights to LED

I love the look of bright white CFLs, I wish I could replace all my bulbs with them.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by rage2
    4 and a half years later
    There's a light bulb changing joke here somewhere that I'm just not coming up with...

Costco's got a new brand of LED bulb they carry now, $20 bucks for a 2 pack. Not quite sure how good they are compared to the Feit and Philips
    asdf

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by prosh
    Costco's got a new brand of LED bulb they carry now, $20 bucks for a 2 pack. Not quite sure how good they are compared to the Feit and Philips
    the lumen output is horrible on them... ~450 vs. 800 on the philips.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    the lumen output is horrible on them... ~450 vs. 800 on the philips.
    450 is not bad if they're used in fixtures with multiple bulbs, especially at $10 a pop. The question is how are they in terms of light pattern and color? Any idea what brand bulb they are?

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

In my kitchen I have 6 75W flood lights in 2 x 3 bulb tracks. After blowing the 3rd since I moved in 6 months ago, I bought 3 Philips LED floods in warm white - at 39.99 each (holy sheit). They also weight a ton compared to a normal bulb. For comparison, a pack of 3 75W floods was 10 bucks, while a pair of CFLs was 22.

My only problem with the CFLs is the warm up time - sometimes floods can take over a minute to light up. The LEDs come on right away. I also have 1 track still with the old incan bulbs, and the new ones seem only a touch lighter, and come on maybe .5 seconds slower than the normal set. They are also dimmable but I don't have a dimmer on this setup.

I have those standard CFLs from Ikea in my other normal ceiling lights and I don't even notice them. I haven't seen a flickering one for a long time, but I do remember having a few and it drove me nuts as well.

Rage - get one of these, totally nerdy but fun to watch as you turn shit on and off.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

They were on sale for 79.99 recently.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Are these the costco ones?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....rodid=10342892

$16/pop, 400 lumens output. Might not be too bad. Reviews look good too. Only drawback is it's non dimmable.

I went with all dimmable ones in case I decide to add a dimmer in the future. That and I have auto-on sensor switches in my house that needs a dimmable bulb for some strange reason.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by rage2
    Are these the costco ones?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....rodid=10342892

$16/pop, 400 lumens output. Might not be too bad. Reviews look good too. Only drawback is it's non dimmable.

I went with all dimmable ones in case I decide to add a dimmer in the future. That and I have auto-on sensor switches in my house that needs a dimmable bulb for some strange reason.
    Looks about right.

Non-dimmable low lumens for $10 a pop vs. 20 for the HD ones. I wanted to buy a pack and compare it with the HD ones but couldn't pull the trigger lol.

Just be sure to note that with the costco ones that it will be dimmer (and cheaper) than the HD/Rona/Etc. ones.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    Looks about right.

Non-dimmable low lumens for $10 a pop vs. 20 for the HD ones. I wanted to buy a pack and compare it with the HD ones but couldn't pull the trigger lol.

Just be sure to note that with the costco ones that it will be dimmer (and cheaper) than the HD/Rona/Etc. ones.
    It's $50 for 3, so $17 a pop, not $10. Which makes it pretty pricey for what you get.

These guys just hit the US market, and I'm told Lowes Canada will be getting them in the new year.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances...SI-I8V101180US

Supposed to be awesome. Samsung isn't allowed to sell them in South Korea because nobody can compete with them at that pricepoint, so the government banned local sales to help local companies catch up.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 11 ... LastLast