Quantcast
Air Conditioning for my house - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning for my house

Gavin has his own company. I had a 4 ton Tempstar installed for $4400.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Not to hijack the thread too badly, but does it matter what brand of furnace you have? I have a ~10 year old carrier furnace and want to add air conditioning, but I don't know, do I have to buy a carrier air conditioner in order to have it fit in the plenum properly? If not it looks like complete kits can be had for under $2k, and I can fit it all myself I would just need somebody to charge it. For a $1500-$2000 price difference I think I would be fine with being my own warranty.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

Originally posted by Zero102
    Not to hijack the thread too badly, but does it matter what brand of furnace you have? I have a ~10 year old carrier furnace and want to add air conditioning, but I don't know, do I have to buy a carrier air conditioner in order to have it fit in the plenum properly? If not it looks like complete kits can be had for under $2k, and I can fit it all myself I would just need somebody to charge it. For a $1500-$2000 price difference I think I would be fine with being my own warranty.
    It shouldn't matter. I have a york a/c and a carrier furnace personally. I believe all that matters is having the coil fit inside the plenum and it needs to be properly matched in size for the size of the a/c unit. I would guess most people who put a/c in after the fact don't have matching brands. That said I don't claim to be an expert!

My Ride
    Skateboard

Gavin is installing my 3 ton Tempstar tomorrow.

Thanks for the referral Jordan.

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by G
    Gavin is installing my 3 ton Tempstar tomorrow.

Thanks for the referral Jordan.
    congrats

I don't know how I ever lived without central air- last month when mine broke down for a few days I was ready to kill someone. It was even too hot first thing in the morning when it was only like 18c outside (just because I couldn't get my house down to the preferred 19 or so before bedtime lol)

How did you guys know how what size of AC unit you needed? I got a 2400 sq. foot home and not sure what size I need to get.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by black_2.5RS
    How did you guys know how what size of AC unit you needed? I got a 2400 sq. foot home and not sure what size I need to get.
    It is calculated by square footage, air infiltration, insulation value and sun exposure. Hopefully your furnace has enough CFM to do the job, unlike mine. Whoever is installing the a/c will size it for you.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by black_2.5RS
    Usually it is 1 ton per 700 sqft.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by G

Usually it is 1 ton per 700 sqft.
    The residential rule of thumb is 600 sq ft/ ton.. Even that is borderline in some instances, in some of these shacks with commercial fridges, theatre rooms, make up air units etc. And then as Darrell says hopefully the furnace has enough oomph to handle that tonnage. Every major manufacturer offers a high cfm model of a given btu furnace, but don't count on your house having it, unless you spec'd it when it was built.
    http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../58mcb-6pd.pdf
    In that link you can see how you can order a 80,000 btu or whatever furnace with high or low cfm...
    I don't do residential in my business, but in the ones I have done for friends, I have had to change the furnace as well, to really do the job properly in most of the installs.. Being here that our ductwork is generally in the floor, you need a lot more CFM to cool a house than heat it, if you end up with no velocity, the cool air never mixes in the room and the a/c just runs all the time doing nothing but cooling the carpet.
    If you can find your furnace CFM online, divide the CFM by 400 and that is the cooling it will support, in tons. If you insist on stretching it with low CFM, the cfm/ton relationshipis is more important that than the ton sq/ft relationship, from an operational perspective.
    As the cost of power increases, I think multi-head minisplits are going to become a better option than central air.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    NC1

Central air has been so useful this summer. Oh man. So awesome. Sorry /brag
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Trucks

I agree. Normally my a/c will run for 2 weeks per year. This year it's been running for 2 months. While my family was helping move furniture into my house 8 years ago, I was installing the a/c. I will be installing a couple of power attic vents this fall as it will likely eliminate my need for a/c next summer.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 08-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Originally posted by Maxt

The residential rule of thumb is 600 sq ft/ ton.. Even that is borderline in some instances, in some of these shacks with commercial fridges, theatre rooms, make up air units etc. And then as Darrell says hopefully the furnace has enough oomph to handle that tonnage. Every major manufacturer offers a high cfm model of a given btu furnace, but don't count on your house having it, unless you spec'd it when it was built.
    http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../58mcb-6pd.pdf
    In that link you can see how you can order a 80,000 btu or whatever furnace with high or low cfm...
    I don't do residential in my business, but in the ones I have done for friends, I have had to change the furnace as well, to really do the job properly in most of the installs.. Being here that our ductwork is generally in the floor, you need a lot more CFM to cool a house than heat it, if you end up with no velocity, the cool air never mixes in the room and the a/c just runs all the time doing nothing but cooling the carpet.
    If you can find your furnace CFM online, divide the CFM by 400 and that is the cooling it will support, in tons. If you insist on stretching it with low CFM, the cfm/ton relationshipis is more important that than the ton sq/ft relationship, from an operational perspective.
    As the cost of power increases, I think multi-head minisplits are going to become a better option than central air.
    Reviving an old thread as I'm considering my options... so it seems from the thread most seem to have either went with Gavin or A&E HVAC...

Any idea what the possible city by law of not allowing these central A/C units to be installed between the houses will have on existing installs?

Multi-head minisplits units... don't see much of these at all here in Calgary. Any recommendation on where to get these locally?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would guess and hope that any change to the bylaws would not be retroactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by ZeroGravity

Multi-head minisplits units... don't see much of these at all here in Calgary. Any recommendation on where to get these locally?
    They can be 2-3 times the price of central a/c and require a drain line for every zone, that's why they are not popular for residential use. I installed a 4 zone Fujitsu in a friend's house that was heated with a boiler and had no forced air. My wholesale cost was around $4k for the unit. For a regular customer I would charge at least $8k. (more because I don't do residential work). In comparison my own house cost me $850 all in.

Originally posted by Darell_n

They can be 2-3 times the price of central a/c and require a drain line for every zone, that's why they are not popular for residential use. I installed a 4 zone Fujitsu in a friend's house that was heated with a boiler and had no forced air. My wholesale cost was around $4k for the unit. For a regular customer I would charge at least $8k. (more because I don't do residential work). In comparison my own house cost me $850 all in.
    wow... didn't know that. Thx for the info.

My Ride
    Audi

bump... yes, I realize it's fuckin cold outside but just getting a head start on this.

Friend and I with mirror cookie cutter homes (2200sq ft) in the same cul-de-sac looking to go ahead w/ AC this year (figured we'd try and leverage this for any savings). Any recommendations or hookups?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I need to get AC this summer as well, is Gavin the guy to go to still?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Gavin was great for me as I 've said. He also provided some after-installation support. Solid guy, good price.

Go ahead and get some other quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

I used A&E Hvac. They did good for me.

My Ride
    Audi

As an update - ended up with Friessen's installing it. 3.5 ton Trane unit - total cost including GST was $4,125. The other option was a 3.5 ton Goodman which was $3900 (including GST) as well.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast