Quantcast
calgary marathon today (may 27 2012) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: calgary marathon today (may 27 2012)

Default calgary marathon today (may 27 2012)

any run?

i run half today for fun. first half for wife.

nice new course with stamped at hq. like it.

anyone run here? maybe get stuck in traffic if you not run?

http://www.calgarymarathon.com/

My Ride
    Sentra

Yes I ran the marathon this morning. I was a pace bunny, first time doing that.

I've never ran the full marathon course here before, because it wasn't very nice, I though the new one was good. Pretty good weather for it, and by the looks, tons of people didn't pay attention to the road closures and were waiting a long time!

It's Canada's oldest marathon and the biggest race in Calgary, yet it barely gets a mention on the news or anywhere. Odd. Being Calgary I think people hate being inconvenienced for an hour driving in their car.

Originally posted by GoChris
    Yes I ran the marathon this morning. I was a pace bunny, first time doing that.
    How close was your finish time to your pace time?

My Ride
    Sentra

I came in 1.5 minutes under my target. I wanted to come in just under so people could get their goal, but not that early. I thought I had another corner to go which should have taken 30 seconds or so which is why I thought I'd be close. But...not bad for my first race pacing I think.

It was fun, but tough because I was just running for longer (time wise) than I usually do, so it was a good challenge. Plus the slower pace messes with you a bit so it can be tiring on the joints and muscles.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

I only did the 10K, but it was fun. The last official 10K I did was 6 years ago so it's been a while.

I looked at some of the drivers who had to wait and some of them looked pissed, lol.

My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza

GoChris, what pace did you run?

I ran yesterday, was pretty good. I did it a few years ago when they had the old layout. I'd say this course was a bit easier than the other one but I really didn't like how they had the full marathon, 10k and 5k people all finishing around the same time. The last 3k was SUPER crowded and the last thing I need to worry about at that point is idiots who can't stay to the right where they're supposed to be and me having to dodge people or get cut off every 15 seconds by people darting out to pass others.

That was the only complaint that I had but still enjoyed the day regardless.

Loved some of the signs that people made...those volunteers and random people cheering everybody on really make my day.

Top signs:
    At about the 1km mark there was some dude holding a massive sign for what I would assume is his wife/gf that read "Victoria, did you make breakfast for me before you left this morning?!"

Around 10k I think there was a girl standing in the middle boulevard that looked very disappointed with a sign that read "Worst parade ever". I thought that was freakin hilarious and my and my friends burst out laughing and had to give her the slow clap as we ran by to show our appreciation.

Around the 35km mark (I think) just as you came up the hill from underneath the bridge on 4th street there was a couple with a sign that said "They're running out of beer at the finish line!". Thought that was super clever and certainly motivating!

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Worst last 3K it was too crowded and too many runners in one location. They should have offset the estimated end times for 10k, 5k, and marathon.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by GreyFox
    GoChris, what pace did you run?
    I was a 4:30 complete time bunny.

Yes the worst parade ever sign is a good one, I see at least one every race it seems. I did the Vancouver marathon 3 weeks ago, and there were so many more good signs, of course just because of the huge turnout of supporters compared to Calgary.

The last few km were horribly crowed. I had to suggest to a few 10/5km people to stay to the right, it was not fun all being jammed onto half a street.

Congrats to everyone else that ran! Races are so awesome. Next for me is City Chase on the 9th, then K-100 on the 23rd.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by CaptainReboot
    I only did the 10K, but it was fun.
    Same. Just under an hour so I was happy...although I was walking funny for the rest of the day

My Ride
    4x4

What no love for j5?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/calgary...ce/7287767170/

I think there were near death experiences making him shake those pompoms

My Ride
    fg2

i ran the half for the 2nd time this year.

i was the guy with no shoes on :P

i had a good time. though i think i liked last years course better. this years wasnt very barefoot friendly. lots of roads with shitty old rough asphalt and the last 1.5-2km where you go past inglewood into the back side of the stampede grounds and accross the gravel covered parking lot to the finish was especially brutal for me. and as others have said, way too crowded around the finish.

My Ride
    Sentra

I probably saw you

I actually saw at least 3 barefoot people though.

My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza

^ I saw 2 guys doing the full barefoot....sheer craziness!!

Props to you though dansmith, that's quite an accomplishment for sure.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I went for 5k since did half a few weeks earlier. Made top 10 so was pleased. Signed up for Victoria full in October at the expo. Did Calgary full 2 years ago and the slog up Shag trail was rough indeed (and down sucked too). New course was a lot flatter which helps offset the crappy altitude.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.