Quantcast
Suits? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Suits?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

The problem with one of the 'it' colours... is they are the 'it' colour right now... next year, it will be something different. Unless you go through a lot of suits and can aford to have seasonal fashions, get something timeless and classic as it will last as long as it fits.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I go through a lot of suits and don't fit much off the rack (long arms, v build etc)
    I find a few German Brands from Supreme Mens wear and Hugo Boss are the only ones that seem fit me off the rack.

I have a few indochino suits, as long as you order the premium material and your measurements are accurate they are a good choice for "Seasonal Colors". Its nice only spending 500 ish on a seasonal suit.

Supreme Menswear has some nice stylish suits that are not as old man as some of the other downtown high end menswear stores. Might be a place to look for you wedding to find something stylish and quality made.

Originally posted by austic

I have a few indochino suits, as long as you order the premium material and your measurements are accurate they are a good choice for "Seasonal Colors". Its nice only spending 500 ish on a seasonal suit.
    The problem with indochino is that while it is "custom", they just mix and match different sized components from a "parts bin". Nothing is cut to size for your individual suit, different pieces are just matched up to provide the best fit they can. For a couple hundred more you can get completely bespoke with all materials cut to your specific build.

OP, if you need a suit to stand out and fit like a well worn baseball mitt, go bespoke from one of the various shops in town.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

I have been getting my suits for the last year and a bit from Lauren at http://www.ensemblecalgary.com/.

Suits are fantastic quality and the whole process of getting measured, having a fitting session, and adjustments made after the fact are incredible.

You can go as high quality or low quality as you want as far as materials are concerned.

She outfitted my entire wedding party when I got married this past summer.

Would highly recommend her. With your budget, you would be able to get a great suit.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Originally posted by beyond_ban

The problem with indochino is that while it is "custom", they just mix and match different sized components from a "parts bin". Nothing is cut to size for your individual suit, different pieces are just matched up to provide the best fit they can. For a couple hundred more you can get completely bespoke with all materials cut to your specific build.
    Got an objective source for that? All my suits from them fit absolutely perfect.

Regardless of what they are doing, they do a better job than a lot of local custom places and alterations based on my experiences with each.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-14-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Got an objective source for that? All my suits from them fit absolutely perfect.

Regardless of what they are doing, they do a better job than a lot of local custom places and alterations based on my experiences with each.
    If it works for you, great! You are lucky that you have a fairly generic suit fitment.

Admittedly, i have not looked into their actual process myself, but it makes sense when i consider an example my brother ordered from them years ago. They most likely have gotten better - as evidenced by the fact they are still around and seemingly growing - but first impressions are hard to break. I wish i could fit off the rack or bargain custom suits such as Indochino, but the taper required from my shoulders to chest to waste requires me to anti up a few extra dollars to ensure my satisfaction.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I see the term "bespoke" being tossed around here quite loosely.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/20.../#60e730635d85

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea true bespoke is pretty overrated and truly baller shit.

There are so many awesome rack styles off there, they just usually need a couple measurements adjusted.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:13 PM.

If it works for you, great! You are lucky that you have a fairly generic suit fitment.

Admittedly, i have not looked into their actual process myself, but it makes sense when i consider an example my brother ordered from them years ago. They most likely have gotten better - as evidenced by the fact they are still around and seemingly growing - but first impressions are hard to break. I wish i could fit off the rack or bargain custom suits such as Indochino, but the taper required from my shoulders to chest to waste requires me to anti up a few extra dollars to ensure my satisfaction.
    Why say that then if you don't have any actual evidence? I feel like if that's what they were doing, it would be exposed all over various forums.

Maybe they made a mistake with your brother's order, or maybe one of the measurements was done incorrectly, or maybe they just completely screwed it up - who knows. No place is perfect 100% of the time, which is why they pay for any additional alternation needed (locally) or will remake the entire item if necessary for free. No matter what they will make it right. There is no scenario where you would be stuck with a poorly fitting article from them unless you are unwilling to let them correct it.

Myself and everyone I know personally who has got a suit from them had the same success Of all the wedding parties, not one person had to get their item altered or remade. There are many different body types between us, and I can't ever seem to find off the rack stuff that fits me (the whole reason I sought out custom clothes to begin with), so I don't think generic fitment has anything at all to do with it.

The dollar is so bad now I will probably be checking out this Huey Lam place. A lot of the online tailors are USD which sucks. Indochino has some really good sales on sometimes though which more than compensate for the FX, but at full price and full FX no doubt it's less attractive.

At the end of the day, whatever looks good on you in your price range and what makes you happy is the way to go.

My Ride
    your mom

Henry Singer in Bankers is probably my favorite place for suits. They have amazing sales and they know what they're talking about.

Personally, I would stay away from any fused garments. These are made super cheaply and don't hold their look. Hugo Boss, Banana Republic, a lot of ones from the Bay are made this way. I'd personally stay away from Boss suits entirely as they are way overpriced for a less than high quality suit.

Suits that are fully canvassed will last you much longer and look and fit a million times better. You do pay a bit of a premium for it, but the durability and fit is very worth it. Lot's of tailors around town will have fully canvassed suits. Some of the other guys on here will know the small shops, but Henry Singer definitely does. Pretty sure Jaafars is one of them.

Canali suits are my personal favourite and the three that I have fit the best and have held up far, far better than any other brand I've ever owned (Boss, Zegna, Moore's).

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

The problem with indochino is that while it is "custom", they just mix and match different sized components from a "parts bin". Nothing is cut to size for your individual suit, different pieces are just matched up to provide the best fit they can.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Why say that then if you don't have any actual evidence? I feel like if that's what they were doing, it would be exposed all over various forums.

Maybe they made a mistake with your brother's order, or maybe one of the measurements was done incorrectly, or maybe they just completely screwed it up - who knows. No place is perfect 100% of the time, which is why they pay for any additional alternation needed (locally) or will remake the entire item if necessary for free. No matter what they will make it right. There is no scenario where you would be stuck with a poorly fitting article from them unless you are unwilling to let them correct it.

Myself and everyone I know personally who has got a suit from them had the same success Of all the wedding parties, not one person had to get their item altered or remade. There are many different body types between us, and I can't ever seem to find off the rack stuff that fits me (the whole reason I sought out custom clothes to begin with), so I don't think generic fitment has anything at all to do with it.

I agree with Beyond_ban and his assumption on how indochino makes their suits. I wore one of my ZZegna suits when I was measured for an Indochino suit. I specifically asked them to match all of the measurements and to ensure the "custom" suit fit the same way or at least similar. It fit horribly when I received it, Huey Lam did what he could to alter the pants to fit and they were still baggy. Any further alterations and he would have had to completely remake the pants. The jacket was bad enough that Indochino took it back and sent me a new jacket that was supposed to fit slimmer. Again, poor results. I could have sent it back for a third try.... but I would have missed the wedding.

That's my experience with Indochino and perhaps other people have a greater tolerance for poorly made or ill fitting suits if they don't have anything else to compare it to. Similarly to what you mentioned, the other guys in the wedding party thought the suits were great but they don't wear suits daily and that was the first suit they had purchased.
    I like neat cars.

Gonna throw in my 2 cents.

I've used Indochino, EPH Apparel and Maxwell's multiple times now. I'll only buy dress shirts from Maxwell's after my experience with all three.

I purchased four suits in the last calendar year, one from EPH, one from Indochino and two from Harry Rosen. I even got "fitted" for the EPH and Indochino suits from one of their reps in person. Ultimately, I was not impressed with the quality or fit from either place; they do give a small budget for additional alterations, but it wasn't enough to cover what needed to be done.

However, my suits from Harry Rosen are and always have been pretty great. I purchased a Munro suit during their boxing day sales for ~$680, and my other suit from them last year was a Boss for around the same price. In the past, I've purchased Zegna suits from them for ~$1,100+, and also have an Armani and Canali suit, but really who needs to spend that much?

My mantra these days is if I need a suit, I'll get it from Holt or Harry during one of their discount periods and I'll get one of the cheaper suits. I'm sure there's some difference in material between a Munro and Canali, but it's hardly noticeable to me and the price difference is massive. Who cares about the brand anyways... That said, I'll pay up the ~$200 difference though in order to try the suit in person, get a feel for the material and fitted from Harry/Holt, instead of purchasing through an online custom suit place again.

One other alternative (and cheaper) alternative would be to go to Saks on 5th, buy a suit from them for $200-$400 and get it tailored by someone you trust. The material is actually not too bad, just have to spend time finding the right fit and have patience battling through the crowds...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by busdepot

Personally, I would stay away from any fused garments. These are made super cheaply and don't hold their look. Hugo Boss, Banana Republic, a lot of ones from the Bay are made this way. I'd personally stay away from Boss suits entirely as they are way overpriced for a less than high quality suit.
    *sigh* i know this, but fuck i like alot of the Boss cuts though

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

If you want to consider going bespoke, i use Suits by Curtis Eliot. I believe completely bespoke suits run $650, and with that you get absolutely anything you want as well as a great design team to assist you in whats what. I just had a new one come in this morning and it is amazing when you put it on for the first time and it fits like a glove. The pants are as comfy as sweats!

If you are interested, i can give you the contact info to the main man in Calgary. As of today or tomorrow, they will also be operating out of a brick and mortar store front here in Calgary. Check their website out at: http://www.suitsbycurtiseliot.com/

For more pictures of their products, here is their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/suitsbycurtiseliot/
    Big YMMV on them. I have a suit from them that is really meh - it wasn't really what fit me perfectly and they weren't too keen to fix things. That said this was probably early 2015 or so when they did in person measuring (in Calgary). I heard they since moved to some 3D measuring or something along those lines
    Last edited by sneek; 01-16-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Originally posted by dezmarez
    I have been getting my suits for the last year and a bit from Lauren at http://www.ensemblecalgary.com/.

Suits are fantastic quality and the whole process of getting measured, having a fitting session, and adjustments made after the fact are incredible.

You can go as high quality or low quality as you want as far as materials are concerned.

She outfitted my entire wedding party when I got married this past summer.

Would highly recommend her. With your budget, you would be able to get a great suit.
    Lauren is amazing!

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by killramos

*sigh* i know this, but fuck i like alot of the Boss cuts though
    Two Boss suits for sale 52R jk

Samuelsohn MTM event in the summer at Henry Singer is your friend. Canvassed suits fit 1000x better. I have two Boss suits that pretty much now collect dust even though they did fit pretty good.

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

Originally posted by 90_Shelby

Similarly to what you mentioned, the other guys in the wedding party thought the suits were great but they don't wear suits daily and that was the first suit they had purchased.
    In our case most of us wear suits often or daily, they were nobody's first suit, and they wear the ones they got for the weddings often. It was specifically done so that each member of the wedding party would have a nice suit to take home with them, not just a one-time-use thing which is so often a waste. The groom paid for some of them as the "gift" and then at the end of the day you have a perfect fitting custom suit to take home with you. It worked so well the first time, that the several of my friends who got married did the same thing and now we all have a nice collection of perfect fitting suits.

What started this trend for us was a good rental suit/outfit in the color/style requested seemed to be $250 or so, and the fit was never good on rentals, so it was a no-brainier to get a full custom suit that fit properly to keep forever for $400-500 instead. The groom covered the difference and it worked out great.

There seems to be a lot of people unhappy with expensive local options too (including myself after numerous tries) - maybe the whole suit thing is just a crap-shoot unless you shop Brioni haha.

I always like trying new places though - like I said I think I will start small and try Huey Lam next for some shirts/pants and see how it goes from there.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea my last suit from Harry was a Samuelson MTM, its a great suit ( even though they completely fucked up my order and refused to do anything about it ).

Just not sure if its worth plugging my nose and experiencing the HR staff to get another.

fact.

Originally posted by sneek

Lauren is amazing!
    How much does she charge (roughly) each for pants, shirt, suit of decent quality? The only pricing on her website seems to be consultation fees.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast