Quantcast
Garage planning and building - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Garage planning and building

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I've gotten a few written quotes from people and have picked my builder. They aren't necessarily the cheapest but I liked how the owner does the majority of the building and the only thing he contracts out is the concrete and the electrical. All of the quotes I received were within the same ball park to get the structure to pretty much the same point so it all came down to references and quality of work.

I've opted to just have them lay the concrete and build the garage but I will run all of the electricity myself (with the help of a friend who's a journeyman). I just couldn't justify the extra $1000-$1500 to add in a 60amp sub and a 220V plug.

Also not sure how I want to proceed with heating. Everyone made valid arguments about gas vs electric. Because I am not looking to have this T-shirt weather year around but want the ability to heat it when I am tinkering around, I am leaning more towards infrared heaters. Similar to these I still have lots of time to figure it out.

Construction probably wont start until mid- end of June
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Can anyone confirm that it's allowable by code in Calgary to build a detached garage on a slab on grade?

It just seems a bit odd to me that I can pour a garage slab right on grade, but I need to dig 4' down for a deck foundation.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Can anyone confirm that it's allowable by code in Calgary to build a detached garage on a slab on grade?
    You definitely can, that's how most home builders build them.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

It just seems a bit odd to me that I can pour a garage slab right on grade, but I need to dig 4' down for a deck foundation.
    why?

the entire point of a deck is that it is raised, so either you would have a solid foundation under the whole thing (which would be expensive) or you have footings... which require depth to create strength since they have a much smaller footprint

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by ercchry

why?

the entire point of a deck is that it is raised, so either you would have a solid foundation under the whole thing (which would be expensive) or you have footings... which require depth to create strength since they have a much smaller footprint
    So if I can build a garage on a slab on grade, why can't I build a deck on top of one?
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So if I can build a garage on a slab on grade, why can't I build a deck on top of one?
    loading, drainage... why would you spend the money on a slab to cover it with a deck...

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

There are a couple of reasons; first is for a deck your foundation is pretty small... so the soil will freeze around it totally and you will get frost jacking and spring settlement as a result and your deck won't be level next year if don't go deep enough. Really 6 feet is better than 4 btw.

Second is due to total load... unlike a deck the garage is huge and heavy so it will be more than the load created by frost jacking, plus it won't get full frost penetration below.

It is still good to do a thickening around the perimeter however, both to take load of the walls and to strengthen against frost damage.

The only thing with a slab on grade is it may move uniformly, so any U/G plumbing or electrical should be brought up straight through a sleeve in the slab that allows for a bit of movement.... not through a wall just above the floor.
    It still doesn't add up. I can't build a home on a slab. I still need 4 ft frost walls.

I just doesn't make sense that I can build a garage on a slab, run water/electric/gas lines through the slab, and then not care if it heaves around all over the place.

FYI, I'm not arguing with you guys on what the code says, just that it seems inconsistent.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by ercchry

loading, drainage... why would you spend the money on a slab to cover it with a deck...
    I don't want to build my deck on a slab lol. My point is, by code I can't. So if its not strong enough to support my deck, why can it support a garage and my 6000lb truck?
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

A home isn’t the same as a garage; it is heavier, has a far greater value, has a lot of services tied into it, and needs to be fully weather sealed. For these reasons you need a more substantial foundation which better resists movement. If you garage sinks a couple of inches on one side, it really doesn’t matter much… you might get some minor issues like gapping between the siding or garage door, or maybe some minor leakage of water inside… but really it is a garage so it isn’t a big deal. On the other hand if you house is sinking… you have a much more serious problem.

I don’t really know how to better explain it better than that, a garage for all intents and purposes is just a fancy shed for your car. That is why it costs 25K to build and your house costs 250K to build.
    I know what your saying, I'm just curious why a deck has more stringent foundation requirements than a deck. Especially since I can run the exact same services to my garage as I have in my house.

Trust me, most beyonders could build a 250K garage if they felt like blowing that kind of cash.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So I finally am officially buying my first home after a few places and offers fell through.

I have a 24x22' pad poured from the house was built and utilities run out there. I'm looking to have a slightly modified garage built, airdrie's bylaws allow a taller garage so I am looking for 12' walls and scissor trusses to have tons of space for a lift on one side.

I'm okay with building it myself / with family helping out but are the rona/star building places able to make custom packages? I contacted both but waiting to hear back on prices and if they can even do that.

Are there any other options besides having a building do it? I've seen you can get garage plans online and then source the material myself, has anyone gone this route?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by pheoxs
    So I finally am officially buying my first home after a few places and offers fell through.

I have a 24x22' pad poured from the house was built and utilities run out there. I'm looking to have a slightly modified garage built, airdrie's bylaws allow a taller garage so I am looking for 12' walls and scissor trusses to have tons of space for a lift on one side.

I'm okay with building it myself / with family helping out but are the rona/star building places able to make custom packages? I contacted both but waiting to hear back on prices and if they can even do that.

Are there any other options besides having a building do it? I've seen you can get garage plans online and then source the material myself, has anyone gone this route?

You can get plans online but to get your building permit you need to get them stamped by an engineer to prove its a safe structure. Star building supplies can put anything together for you, there might just be an extra charge depending on how custom you want it or how much different from their "stock"packages you want to go.
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

The pad was framed on Friday and poured today while I was at work. I'm a little concerned that they didn't leave a rough in for the man door. The builder is trying to tell me that its normal to have a 6.5" lip at the door but that doesn't sound right to me at all. I have never seen a garage yet with that big of a lip, a few inches maybe but not 6.5". That makes it a huge pain in the ass to get a lawn mower or wheel barrow in and out.

What does beyond think?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by schurchill39; 05-26-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Any dirt needs to be 6" away from any non-treated wood framing (door sill) so I wouldn't worry too much about it. How high is the grass to the top of concrete?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by schurchill39
    The pad was framed on Friday and poured today while I was at work. I'm a little concerned that they didn't leave a rough in for the man door. The builder is trying to tell me that its normal to have a 6.5" lip at the door but that doesn't sound right to me at all. I have never seen a garage yet with that big of a lip, a few inches maybe but not 6.5". That makes it a huge pain in the ass to get a lawn mower or wheel barrow in and out.

What does beyond think?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Mine is just like that, it's a drop into the garage, like a step, and it's a damn good thing. My dad's garage doesn't have it and floods when the snow melts, mine stays dry.

My Ride
    Mazdaspeed 6/2003 P5/1970 Charger

Yup, mine is like that too. Just build a step if you feel its a bit high.
    I aint no junky.... I just keep it funky

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Its 6.5" on the inside but because the pad is above grade it works out to about 13" on the yard side. I had the builder come over today and he agreed that it was too high although he does recommend having a lip there for moisture like eblend said. They are going to come cut it in half where the door is.
    I'm generally cute.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4