Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

Author
Thread
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

I figure this is probably a decent place to put this question. I can figure out the paperwork, and I kow the exchange rate isn't great now, but what's the best way to actually go about FINDING the vehicle?

I'm looking for a Ford F150, so there are millions of them down there, but I'd like a dealer who has done this process before, and who can deal well with me over email. I've been recommended Texas, since they sell so many trucks there.

Thoughts?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2014 11:11 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Team_Mclaren

What I drive: F10M / GS450H
Posts/Day: 1.06
Trader Rating: (26)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

You really dont need a dealer that knows anything. As long as you know what you are doing. I'd just search around cars.com / autotrader / cragislist etc. That's where I found all my vebhicles.

Old Post 02-23-2014 11:47 PM
Team_Mclaren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team_Mclaren Click here to Send Team_Mclaren a Private Message Find more posts by Team_Mclaren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GOnSHO
Second Gear

What I drive: 09 Ram Sport, 07 R6
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (36)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

has the process changed at all? im looking to import a corvette from florida or California?

Originally posted by BlueSTI
Shoulder checks are for kids who just received their driver's licence. Trust me, if I wanted to side swipe you, you wouldn't be sitting in front of your computer reading this. I only cut you off GENTLY.

Old Post 01-09-2015 08:18 PM
GOnSHO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GOnSHO Click here to Send GOnSHO a Private Message Find more posts by GOnSHO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hurrdurr
First Gear

What I drive: xJUAN
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Not really, just a shitty fucking dollar

Old Post 01-09-2015 08:24 PM
hurrdurr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hurrdurr Click here to Send hurrdurr a Private Message Find more posts by hurrdurr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zirconium

What I drive: IS300
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

It's hardly worth it now. i.e. a 20k car in the states would cost at least 26K CAD in currency, then add up the import and transportation fees and you're looking at more than 28Gs probably

Old Post 03-13-2015 10:20 PM
zirconium is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zirconium Click here to Send zirconium a Private Message Find more posts by zirconium Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

BUMP.

Anyone done this recently and know how to bypass AES?

Attachment: capture.png

Old Post 07-25-2016 06:19 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carson blocks
First Gear

What I drive: 1917 Model T, VW Baja, 2016 Longhorn
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

I haven't imported a car since that change, but from what I understand someone with a IRS # needs to complete the AES transaction. This may be able to be the seller, but it's probably easiest to go through a customs broker as they'll be set up for this. Apparently if you do it as a business you can apply for an IRS number but for the general public it will be easier and cheaper to hire a broker.

Old Post 07-25-2016 07:20 PM
carson blocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carson blocks Click here to Send carson blocks a Private Message Find more posts by carson blocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

^ Bump! Has anyone here actually gone through the AES system, like has anyone on here tried having a private seller go through the AES system themselves? Is it much work?

Looking into something myself and wondering what the options are.

Also, gonna admit I did not read the full 64 pages, but what would CBSA do if you purchased the car well below market value ( coming back to the "gift" concept )? I have no problem paying the duties and taxes but I have no interest arguing with CBSA about it. If I have a bank draft referencing the BOS that all matches up is that going to be good enough to satisfy them? Or should i just toss them a kijiji printout for what the going price is in Alberta right now and call it a day? How does the exchange factor into this, does the price here or where I bought it matter more?

Also for those who have imported, any idea on what it would cost to get the conversions done to a BMW? Does it involve a full cluster replacement? DRL's should be able to be coded, but cluster would be in mph. If I got HUD coded to display kph would that be good enough?

TIA, this is what happens when I have too much free time on my hands ffs.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 02-02-2017 08:11 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:06 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: