Quantcast
Why Don't Wagons Sell? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Don't Wagons Sell?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Full Stasis exhaust, KW coilovers, some baby stuff, a trip to the camera store, and I honestly could have bought 2 of everything and still had room to spare.

Last edited by blitz; 07-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    Lariat

To be honest I have asked the same question for years. Wagaons, Avants, Shooting brakes, whatever you want to call them I think they are some of the best vehicles ever made.

Why we dont have the S4 avant or RS4 avant over here boggles my mind.
    Personally the next vehicle I get, there is a very good chance it will be an Avant!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Originally posted by lint
    And women prefer the higher seating position of the SUV, so they can see over other cars and feel safer
    Women who think like that are dumb.

What happens when everyone else buys an SUV for the same reason?

Proud Subaru Outback wagon owner here.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by blitz
    Full Stasis exhaust, KW coilovers, some baby stuff, a trip to the camera store, and I honestly could have bought 2 of everything and still had room to spare.
    Toyota Yaris FTW.

Bass amp, 2 guitar amps, pedal boards, tons of guitar effects, all wiring, guitars + stands, laptop, and I believe we fit 1/2 a drumkit in there too before we took off.

A wagon would've been nicer, you know, rearward visibility haha.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I think a big part is perception.

I would have gladly bought a V wagon instead of my V sedan but they're so hard to find used. Plus they're so rare, you'd want to keep all of the stock parts because there is a good chance it could be worth something in the future.

It was time for a new vehicle for the wife last year too and I tried to talk her into a wagon but she wouldn't have any of it. A wagon would be perfect for her but she ended up in a MB SUV.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by speedog
    So another question - are any of these real station wagons or are they glorified 4 door hatchbacks. Back in the 60-70's, wagons either had fold down tailgates or they had swing-to-the-side tailgates but all of what is considered a modern wagon is in reality a 4 door hatchback. Even all of the SUV/CUV's are just bigger versions of a hatchback - I remember when SUV's had roll down rear windows and a tailgate that flopped down just like a station wagon.

So when is a vehicle considered a wagon and when is it considered a 4 door hatch? Case in point, a 2013 Mini Countryman or a 2013 Honda Fit - are they 4 door hatches or a 4 door wagons (in the modern sense)? They both have that side window behind the rear door which would seem to fit the loose definition of what a wagon has evolved into. What about a 2013 Chev Sonic - missing that extra side window but fits in nicely in the class of vehicle that the Fit does. So what is a wagon?
    I'd consider a wagon to be a on a car chasis with an extended back.

A hatch kinda just has a bulge up top where a coupe line slopes down the back.

A wagon has that plus it's longer,

EDIT:

BTW, nice Tetris on that Yaris lol.
    Last edited by flipstah; 07-25-2013 at 03:28 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If our roads ain't straight and wide, we would have more wagons than SUV.

Taking a corner when you are high up sucks.

I'm sad that neither RS4 or RS6 will be here since they are only in avant form.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-25-2013 at 04:08 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Xtrema

Taking a corner when you are high up sucks.
    Not really. In the Alberta driver's handbook, it clearly states if you're a woman driving an SUV, you can do a complete stop at turnoffs with yields or merges.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I love wagons.

I miss the '80s. Dad and Mom would take me on long ass road trips, I would just crawl into the back of the station wagon with G.I. Joes, lego, books, whatever, or even grab a snuggie and pillow and crash. Made things go so much faster, until the seatbelt law came into effect.

But personally, I hate sedans. I love me a sexy hatchback or wagon. So much more room for cargo, which is great when you want to go camping, or a road trip, or if you have dogs / whatever.

I would buy a wagon 10/10 times over a regular sedan or coupe.

One of my favs was a mazda 6 sport wagon.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Disoblige

Not really. In the Alberta driver's handbook, it clearly states if you're a woman driving an SUV, you can do a complete stop at turnoffs with yields or merges.
    Ugh, I find Glenmore to Macleod near Home Depot the worst for that. That and the traffic circle at Saddleridge.

Whenever I'm at the turnoff, I have the horn ready and blast it.

I've got 2 wagons, so nothing but love here.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Of all the factors, I'd say gas prices and the easy fear of those in the excited states, are the major proponents to SUV's over Wagons.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Originally posted by flipstah

Ugh, I find Glenmore to Macleod near Home Depot the worst for that. That and the traffic circle at Saddleridge.

Whenever I'm at the turnoff, I have the horn ready and blast it.
    this is the exact one I was thinking of, lots of the time there is a line of retards so I don't honk... Lots of people just sit at the merge til theres an opening and then cut across 3 lanes to get to chinook.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

We have a Jetta wagon TDI with a trailer hitch and no kids

Its perfect for us, although I'd prefer the more comfortable Passat wagon... but the TDI engines in those are on borrowed time...

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Boosted131
    this is the exact one I was thinking of, lots of the time there is a line of retards so I don't honk... Lots of people just sit at the merge til theres an opening and then cut across 3 lanes to get to chinook.
    There's three entrances into Chinook from that road but everyone wants the first one lol.

Would you guys buy a wagon if there was more selection and competitive pricing?

I know I would.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Americans in general don't like wagons or hatchbacks which somewhat dictates what is available to Canadians. North America has cheap gas, open roads, and vast lands. There simply isn't the same need Europeans and Japanese have for a do-it-all vehicle when most families have multiple vehicles and pickup trucks are a plenty. More choice and fewer restrictions leads to most opting for what is considered the more asthetically pleasing option which is usually the sedan as most (not all but most) cars are more handsome in sedan form.

As the price of the car goes up the desire for a hatchback or wagon lessens even further as there's a reason Audi is making an A3/S3 sedan for North Americans because few people will pay $40k+ for a hatchback.
    Last edited by heavyD; 07-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

I love wagons / hatches. The utility of my Magnum was great, unfortunately I couldn't live with staring at the interior for too long.

2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

I'm not sure where my Venza falls here but I consider it a wagon and I enjoy it. Plus I think it looks pretty cool.

Volvo wagons getting no love? I do have an eye for SAAB wagons as well. OK I am admitting when I see someone driving a newer wagon, I have to bump their IQ by 10 points right away. If it is a Volvo, 15 points. I saw a Jag wagon (older model) the other day, not certain about giving a bump, the jury is still out. My IQ bump/subtract method no doubt lowers my IQ a tad, so be it. I once had to use a steak knife to cut myself free from a very much jammed seat belt. The full bladder dictated my McGiver side was on lockdown. 'Nuf said.

Acura offers their wagon in the USA and not Canada. Acura gone off the tracks again.

Diesel, awd, comfy seats and a wagon.... a vehicle I can keep for a decade or more.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 07-26-2013 at 11:12 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by soccernut
    I'm not sure where my Venza falls here but I consider it a wagon and I enjoy it. Plus I think it looks pretty cool.
    Available AWD and raised ground clearance, it's a crossdresser, not a wagon.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Acura offers their wagon in the USA and not Canada. Acura gone off the tracks again.
    TSX wagon is a very poor seller. The only sell like 150 unit a month in US.

Also, it's volume limited as it's still produced in Japan at a very high yen. I'm sure TSX would have been terminated if Acura didn't screwed up with ILX (aka rebadged Civic Ver 3).
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-26-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast