Quantcast
motorized window shades - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: motorized window shades

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Default motorized window shades

I'm looking for motorized window shades for my south facing living room. They will be raised and lowered quite often so longevity is important. It's too much work to get them hardwired so they will probably be battery operated. I'm thinking about the honeycomb to filter the light, not trying to black out the room.

Any recommendations or brands to avoid?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I just installed a single one from serenashades.com last week as a test. Ordering for 13 more Windows tomorrow. You can build all the window configs online but you need to call them for a Canadian quote. Ask for the 20% discount. Works out to be cheaper than the US online price in CDN$.

There are 3 Serena dealers in town and I was ignored all 3. Guess they rather sell the more expensive setups. One place even sat down with me as I explained everything, wanted to charge me to measure the Windows (I said I would pay) still no callback. Forced to DIY this project.

I have a video of the one shade in action at the end of this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396913/di...apple-homekit/
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I've been using two somfy motors on two roller shades + their my link addin which allows me to schedule or open/close via phone or tablet.

Each motor runs off 8 lithium ion aa batteries, it's been about two years and I haven't had to replace them yet.

I've been pretty happy with them and would definitely recommend them.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Thanks for the info guys. They will be for my second row of windows which are like 16' up so I'd rather pay to get them installed than me falling on my ass. All the other windows I can DIY when I replace them in the future. One window is 5'x8' and the other two are 2 1/2'x5'. I'm guessing ~2000. I already have a contact through a friend, I'll ask him about the brands he carries.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ya some of my windows need scaffolding to install. Our basement contractor is installing those for me haha. So not fully DIY.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

A friend of mine does this but all his blinds are built here in Alberta. They make some solid products and have been very happy with what they have done for us. Just depends if you want custom and the support that comes with that. Prices are still very competitive. http://www.prakinteriors.com/

My Ride
    Skateboard

I have 4 of the Lutron ones. They are hard wired for low voltage because I did not want to get up there to change batteries every few years. If I recall, to do those 4 windows, hard wiring, install and program it was $1500 per window. Mostly because of he size of those windows.

Last edited by G; 03-13-2016 at 12:25 PM.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

As FishPoo said Somfy has great motors and can be used on light filtering roller blinds. They also offer solar panels to charge the batteries and give them a longer life. This is probably your best bet for the high windows to lower the amount you have to change batteries.

This setup would be around $1000 a window, installed, depending on size, material and such.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Thanks folks!
    Lutron Serena and Somfy, how's Hunter Douglas?

I was thinking about the solar rechargeable option but it looks like they still have to be replaced at one point, ~ few years longer than battery? Another thing, can I have the battery pack on the sill instead of having it at the head of the window? That way I don't have to go up 16" to change the battery.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Yes solar is suppose to get you about 5 years. Always depends though. There are battery pack cord extenders so you can have the pack sitting on the sill. Downside is that you see the wire coming down from the blind.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's my Lutron Serena Shades quote.

38x70 - $542.46
    93x58 - $770.24
    75x78 - $718.50

All cdn$.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

We're in the process of considering some new blinds as well, for our huge west-facing windows. Would be nice to tie them in to my automation system, and close 'em when the sun comes around.
    Saw this in my news feed a week or so ago, looks interesting:

http://get.axis.life/abetterway/

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Maxxmar does motorized as well, you can do dual motors with a regular shade and a full blackout too. Lutron is great but more money.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by The_Penguin
    We're in the process of considering some new blinds as well, for our huge west-facing windows. Would be nice to tie them in to my automation system, and close 'em when the sun comes around.
    Saw this in my news feed a week or so ago, looks interesting:

http://get.axis.life/abetterway/
    Those would make sense if you already have manual shades. If you're going new, the difference between motorized and manual (with Lutron Serena) is about $100.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by rage2

Those would make sense if you already have manual shades. If you're going new, the difference between motorized and manual (with Lutron Serena) is about $100.
    Wow, the difference between manual and motorized with Hunter Douglass blinds is considerably more. Still waiting on quotes.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've wanted a motorized window shade so bad because my bedroom faces east and I'm forced to wake up at like 6am in the summers cause of the sunlight and my room heating up from it. Unfortunately the only window in my room is 108x90" and it's gonna end up costing $$$.

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

Originally posted by G
    I have 4 of the Lutron ones. They are hard wired for low voltage because I did not want to get up there to change batteries every few years. If I recall, to do those 4 windows, hard wiring, install and program it was $1500 per window. Mostly because of he size of those windows.

This is a sweet setup! I am envious every time I look out my backyard and see those things open and close on their own!

Can you get these with channels along the edges of the frame that the blind runs through for 100% blackout, or are you stuck with light gaps on either side?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Not with the ones I got. Not sure which ones G has. If it's the Sivoia QS tension shades, it does that but is more expensive and doesn't have homekit compatibility (if you care about it).

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/products...nedshades.aspx

My Ride
    Skateboard

There isn't light gaps in mine, the white you see is just the window casing. It really depends on how you measure your windows but those 4 windows where never meant to blacked out we did it to reduce some of the heat from the sun.

I initially wanted to do one big shade that spanned the two windows so eliminate the gap but couldn't because it would be too heavy and eventually sag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast