Quantcast
Is there an ice bar anywhere in Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is there an ice bar anywhere in Calgary?

My Ride
    Trucks

Default Is there an ice bar anywhere in Calgary?

I've been hired to build one at a nearby ski resort and I wanted to check out an operating one before making my first site visit.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Not that I'm aware of but Ice bars are really weak from my experience, and doesn't seem like great marketing to start one at a ski hill where it's already cold?

Edit: If you want to see how NOT to create one go look at the budapest Ice bar..

https://www.icebar.hu/
    Last edited by Kobe; 10-21-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by Kobe
    Not that I'm aware of but Ice bars are really weak from my experience, and doesn't seem like great marketing to start one at a ski hill where it's already cold?

Edit: If you want to see how NOT to create one go look at the budapest Ice bar..

https://www.icebar.hu/
    Doesn't look bad to me but I spend half my time in freezers so an Ice Bar visit isn't on my bucket list. Anyway, I'm building the mechanical / controls and not the ice work.

Edmonton had a night club/ice bar called set nightclub. It's closed now but you might be able to find some photos online as to what they did or how it was setup.

My Ride
    WK2

Most Ice Bars are a tourist attraction. They suck because they often come off as an exclusive type party, i.e. - you need to buy a ticket, but it comes with a free drink or two. Then they shove you in a freezer and give you your free drinks, but after that drinks are ridiculously expensive, so you end up sitting in a cold ass room with nothing to drink waiting to get out.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by gwill
    Edmonton had a night club/ice bar called set nightclub. It's closed now but you might be able to find some photos online as to what they did or how it was setup.
    The Ice Bar I'm referring to is the more accurately an Ice Room that has a bar inside. Apparently this will be similar to the high-end one in Whistler. Heading to the hill at Fernie to check out the building tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 10-21-2015 at 09:42 PM.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by 94CoRd
    Most Ice Bars are a tourist attraction. They suck because they often come off as an exclusive type party, i.e. - you need to buy a ticket, but it comes with a free drink or two. Then they shove you in a freezer and give you your free drinks, but after that drinks are ridiculously expensive, so you end up sitting in a cold ass room with nothing to drink waiting to get out.
    Wow this summed it up perfectly....
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

So an igloo with a bar in it? I suppose if I'm already doing out door activities an ice bar would be cool to drink in and much better then standing out in the windy elements....

I believe set had an entire section that was all ice then a section that wasn't. Much different then what your mentioning but still an ice bar.

Holy crap, OP comes looking for a few suggestions and this thread goes sideways right after his initial post - kudos to gwill for being able to actually address the issue at hand.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    WK2

Originally posted by speedog
    Holy crap, OP comes looking for a few suggestions and this thread goes sideways right after his initial post - kudos to gwill for being able to actually address the issue at hand.
    True. I should have added in my post that I do not know of a local establishment catering to a sub zero atmosphere - but I did see them all around Europe just recently. Like Kobe said, Budapest and Amsterdam come to mind.

My Ride
    Z

Yea sure I can do that! said every contractor ever
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Every contractor has a job out of their comfort zone. It's the ones who research and plan that can pull them off effectively.