Quantcast
Tesla vs. Top Gear - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vs. Top Gear

Top Gear rips on EVERY car, no matter how amazing it is. If they didn't want to be judged or critiqued, they shouldn't have handed over 2 cars for testing.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    900rwhp Turbo e46 M3 / 12 BMW X5 35D

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Top Gear rips on EVERY car, no matter how amazing it is. If they didn't want to be judged or critiqued, they shouldn't have handed over 2 cars for testing.
    ^^ This...what did Tesla expect? A...WOW an electric car that WORKS! Lol. I say screw Tesla...they made their bed. Now I'm going to go watch some more Top Gear

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by 962 kid

If you run out of gas in the middle of a race track, you have a lot of pushing ahead of you no matter what. Hell it wouldn't even be a big deal if your Tesla ran dry, just push it to the pits, plug it in for an hour or so and drive home. At least you don't have to worry about running lean mid corner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxUsGiGp3w

Ferrari 599 - 27.7 gallon tank would be empty in 47 miles
    Aston DBS - 20.5 gallon tank, empty in 50ish miles
    Lambo - 26.4 gallon tank empty after 108 miles

I hope Tesla takes them to the cleaners

My Ride
    You Crazy

I'm a BIG fan of the technological push away from oil.

Top Gear lost a fan for their BS and staging, thus exposing their selling out to big oil.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

There are definitely legitimate grounds for this lawsuit.

I'll wager Tesla wins.

I still love Top Gear... but when they blatantly lie about things like this I can't help but roll my eyes.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 03:25 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

haha they should bring this car to calgary for some winter range testing, i'll bet it will be dead before 55 miles

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Toma

Top Gear lost a fan for their BS and staging, thus exposing their selling out to big oil.
    Yeah, but they stage EVERYTHING. It's an entertainment show with cars in it. They merely simulated what would happen if they did actually run out of juice.

A conventional car could be filled up on the track with a jerry can. An electric car would need to be towed/pushed into the shop and charged for 6 hours.

As I said, I expect them to run the thing out of batteries next season.

^^ Exactly, how often do you watch Top Gear and think "Wow, that's a great fact." In FACT, they quite often ridicule their own ideas as "Top Gear Top Tips," on the most ridiculous things.

Sell out to big oil? Ooorrrrrrr which car guy do you know that doesn't love a big ol' V8?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, but they stage EVERYTHING. It's an entertainment show with cars in it. They merely simulated what would happen if they did actually run out of juice.

A conventional car could be filled up on the track with a jerry can. An electric car would need to be towed/pushed into the shop and charged for 6 hours.

As I said, I expect them to run the thing out of batteries next season.
    Not so. When you run out of gas, your buddy gets you a small jerry can to get you home or the gas station.

A 20 minute jump charge would get you home in the Tesla.

The car is amazing for what it is.

Can't wait to be drag racing electrics!

Shame on Top Gear for being "not funny".

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by arian_ma

Sell out to big oil? Ooorrrrrrr which car guy do you know that doesn't love a big ol' V8?
    Me.

They have their place, but in my mind they represent the caveman mentality.

Me.

Vrooom vrooom?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

quick fill up in a jerry can to get to the gas station for a 5 minute fillup VS going home on a 20 MINUTE 'quick' jump charge to go plug in for ANOTHER 6 hours.... hmmmmm

On a car that is marketed as a "Sports Car", it sure doesn't seem very practical for more than 55 miles at a time full throttle.

It doesn't matter that gas powered cars can run out of gas at the same rate or worse, you can fill the damn thing up right away and get back to it.

If this is about big oil, in 16x06 they also pushed two cars into the garage after they broke on the track. A Porsche 959 and a Ferrari F40. Not exactly eco-mobiles.

My Ride

Me.

So where do you think electricity comes from? The majority of electricity is produced from fossil fuels...coal, natural gase, etc... being burned in a boiler; producing steam which then flows into a steam turbine which has a shaft connected to a generator. Or CoGen units which have a jet turbine with shaft connected to a generator and the exhaust heat is used to produce steam...yada yada...
    This day an age electric powered cars require more energy vs a gas powered car...some day this will change. I'm all for technological advancement and agree that one day we will all be driving cars powered by another form of energy.

Getting your balls tight and defending Tesla is moot. They will go down in history as being one of the founders of electric powered cars if the trend ever catches on and the world finds a cleaner/effective way to mass produce electricity...as we stand now nuclear is on the shelf again...and wind/water/solar are only in early development and require a large amount of resources for very little gains.

Oil = Electricity in this day an age...supporting one or the other is just proving your stupidity.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Surprised a lot of you guys show so much hate to electric power and so much support for gas even with prices constantly increasing... but Beyond is full of ballers

I don't see the big problem if the Tesla really does need to charge for 6 hours or whatever to be fully charged. If you are just driving around locally it is very unlikely you will drain the whole battery in a day and when you go home you can charge it every night, every other night, etc. while you sleep?
    This is not the car you'd use for a road trip anyways.

My Ride

Originally posted by gyu
    Surprised a lot of you guys show so much hate to electric power and so much support for gas even with prices constantly increasing... but Beyond is full of ballers

I don't see the big problem if the Tesla really does need to charge for 6 hours or whatever to be fully charged. If you are just driving around locally it is very unlikely you will drain the whole battery in a day and when you go home you can charge it every night, every other night, etc. while you sleep?
    This is not the car you'd use for a road trip anyways.
    So much ...again...the majority of electricity comes from the burning of oil/gas...and the efficiency by the time it gets to your plugin is < the efficiency of a gas powered engine...not to mention the extra energy required in producing an electric powered car.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

^ my page wasn't refreshed when I made my comment so your post wasn't shown yet.
    But I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable in the topic. you said oil = electricity and favoring one over the other show's one's stupidity but it seems like you favor oil in your last post or is it fact that oil is just clearly better and they're not equal?

What's the point of manufacturers mass producing electric/hybrid cars if they're even worse than gas run ones overall (not a rhetorical question btw)?

My Ride

Originally posted by gyu
    ^ my page wasn't refreshed when I made my comment so your post wasn't shown yet.
    But I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable in the topic. you said oil = electricity and favoring one over the other show's one's stupidity but it seems like you favor oil in your last post or is it fact that oil is just clearly better and they're not equal?

What's the point of manufacturers mass producing electric/hybrid cars if they're even worse than gas run ones overall (not a rhetorical question btw)?
    Electricity comes from burning oil/gas (majority)...the production of electricity is less efficient in an electric car vs. a gas powered car.

Hybrid cars are a different story...the technology in these cars are feasible for this day and age as they conserve energy. Example the Prius...the heat from the brakes is converted into usable electricity.
    Still the cost to produce a prius is greater than the costs of producing a corolla for example.

Focusing on energy conservation and greater efficiency in today's day an age is a real solution...the electric car may or may not be a feasible solution some day...I am neither supporting electric cars or gas cars...I am pointing out obvious facts as many people are not educated when it comes to electricity.

People who think the following need to be educated:
    - Electric powered cars are cleaner
    - Electric powered cars do not pollute
    - Electric powered cars are free energy
    - Electric powered cars are more efficient than gas powered cars

If anyone doubts these things ^^^^^ seriously consider searching how electricity is created and the losses associated with the production and transfer of it. In addition look into the pollution/energy required to produce electric vehicles including batteries and the wastes associated with them.

If you are a die hard electric car fan...congrats you are still supporting oil as this...is where electricity comes from (majority).

My Ride
    Slow Injected

What advantages does electricity have right now that puts it on an equal level as oil if efficiency is worse, cost is higher, etc.?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast