Quantcast
Skully Motorcycle Helmet With HUD - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skully Motorcycle Helmet With HUD

My Ride
    Civic Sedan 4 door

Welcome to the "smart" helmet era. Looks good though...
    Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

for that price, im not in

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

i signed up a while ago to be a beta tester (was never selected). i was always interested to see the final product and now that they have actual photos i'm somewhat disappointed in the appearance.

i would have thought the design would have been more integrated into the helmet instead of a little projector by the cheekbone that looks like a poor man's google glasses.

definitely waiting to see what everyone else in the industry does.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by JVR1
    i signed up a while ago to be a beta tester (was never selected). i was always interested to see the final product and now that they have actual photos i'm somewhat disappointed in the appearance.

i would have thought the design would have been more integrated into the helmet instead of a little projector by the cheekbone that looks like a poor man's google glasses.

definitely waiting to see what everyone else in the industry does.
    I signed up as well as wasnt selected. When the first videos came out of the prototypes, i was super stoked on the idea. Now, I find it may add more distraction than anything. Rather than a helmet, I would prefer blind spot warning detectors on my side mirrors like cars have. I think having the devices on the bike would be better thank having a bunch of stuff going on in the helmet.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I signed up to be a beta tester too.

I actually like all the features of it for the most part, like the rear camera, phone and music controls, and the GPS. Keeping everything hands free would make life a lot easier for a rider, but I don't think it would be a huge distraction.

I love the whole idea of skully and what it does, but the price tag is absolutely outrageous for what it is and does.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Yeah, once they e-mailed to say I didn't get into the beta I unsubscribed from their mailings. It was a neat idea but not worth it for me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

As I feared, this company was poorly managed, and nothing ever came of it...

Skully has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which means they have no intention of paying back investors or backers from their crowd funding campaigns. So if you spent the $1500 to get one, you are SOL.

Only bright side to this, is that if you did invest to get a helmet, you can get a credit with Fusar for their smart helmet tech.

This is why I won't back any high dollar amount kick starters or whatever. Just way too much risk and zero accountability.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/08/s...usauto00000016

If you thought that Skully's plan to crowdfund an augmented reality motorcycle helmet was overly ambitious... unfortunately, you were right. After years of delays and several weeks of grave financial trouble, the startup has informed backers that it's shutting down. Simply put, the company had run out of cash - it had been scrambling to raise some temporary funding, but that fell through. TechCrunch sources claim that Skully had even been trying to sell itself to Chinese tech giant LeEco. However, it reportedly alienated investors following number of disputes over a possible sale, manufacturing hiccups and executive spending.

Don't expect a refund from Skully itself. The company is filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, and that doesn't require a plan for repayment (which would be Chapter 11). If you're out the $1,499 it cost to get a Skully, your best shot right now is to buy communication gear from Fusar, which is offering equivalent credit for its own smart helmet tech.

The shutdown is a not-so-subtle reminder of the inherent risks of crowdfunding. Despite what some creators say in their crowdfunding pitches, you're not pre-ordering a product when you make a pledge - you're providing financial support in the hopes of maybe, possibly getting something down the line. And producing an advanced, expensive niche product like an AR motorbike helmet only increases the challenge, since it involves both additional work and the support of a smaller customer base. Crowdfunding companies can offer production help or even insurance, but they can't guarantee that you'll get exactly what you paid for.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Stuff

That is crazy, I was thinking about getting one of these. I've been looking at a cheaper alternative in the Reevu helmets, they use mirrors to give a rear view mirror style view. Add on a Sena bluetooth and you are almost there.

I emailed Reevu and had pretty poor response in finding them in Canada though.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    05 Impreza RS

Failed HUD Helmet Maker Skully Spent Funding On Strippers And Exotic Cars: Lawsuit

In 2014, San Francisco tech startup Skully raised hype and money to build a Tony Stark-style digitally augmented motorcycle helmet. Almost $2.5 million later, the company’s shutting down. Now a lawsuit from within the company gives us some hints as to why: founders allegedly blew the R&D money on lap dances and fast cars.

Isabelle Faithhauer, a former executive assistant to Skully CEO Marcus Weller and his co-founder/brother Mitch Weller, claims the brothers “used the corporate entities of Skully in such a fraudulent manner as to render the corporate entity a sham.”

(Skully’s PR representatives have not yet responded to requests for comment.)

In the suit, Faithhauer claims the Wellers “routinely demanded [she] engage in fraudulent bookkeeping practices designed to defraud investors in Skully into believing that Skully funds were being used for business purposes, when in fact, the funds were being used to pay the personal expenses of the Wellers.”

Highlights of these alleged “personal expenses” include:

-The brothers’ personal apartment rent in San Francisco’s Marina district
    -$80,000 in cash paid to an unnamed co-founder, hidden as expenses for a trip to China
    -A weekend Lamborghini rental.
    -A Dodge Viper.
    -A second Dodge Viper, after the first one was in an accident.
    -Four motorcycles
    -$2,000 on limos in Florida
    -$2,000 at a strip club called “De Ja Vu”
    -$2,345 on paintings
    -A first-class last-minute flight to Hawaii
    -And a whole list of other grievances related to the Wellers’ alleged refusal to pay Faithhauer’s overtime.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

2000 at a strip club? that's it between two people?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Man, I posted all that like a month ago, 3 posts up...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by lilmira
    2000 at a strip club? that's it between two people?
    Bottle service, VIP, and some lap dances, not hard especially in Vegas.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by Xtrema

Bottle service, VIP, and some lap dances, not hard especially in Vegas.
    I think he was insinuating 2000 was cheap for 2 guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2