Porsche 911 R - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 911 R

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Porsche 911 R

Porsche unveiled one of the last pure 911s
    http://www.porsche.com/canada/en/models/911/911-r/

Basically a 911 GT3RS without the aero goodies and with a manual transmission. This looks a bit different as it is based on the pre-refresh 991 which the GT3RS is built on. $211k cdn and only 991 examples likely already spoken for. I really like the seats though also.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

A few videos too on vwvortex

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...for-the-purist
    Atlanta, Georgia. Celebrating its world debut at the 2016 Geneva International Motor Show, the new 2016 Porsche 911 R follows the tradition set by the first road-homologated race car bearing the name in 1967. Produced as part of a limited production series, the original 911 R (R for Racing) was entered in rallies, in the Targa Florio and in world record runs. Like its legendary predecessor, the new 911 R features a systematic lightweight construction, a high level of performance and an unfiltered driving experience. The 911 R is limited to 991 units worldwide, and represents the lightest available version of the 911 with a curb weight of just 3021 pounds. Powered by a 500 hp four-liter naturally aspirated flat-six engine which is mated to a six-speed manual transmission, the 911 R underscores Porsche’s commitment to building emotional and engaging high-performance sports cars with a maximum amount of driving pleasure. Developed by Porsche’s motorsport department, the 911 R is the third model to use Porsche’s latest generation of high-performance naturally aspirated flat-six engines alongside the track-bred 911 GT3 and 911 GT3 RS models.

Powering the 911 R is the four-liter flat-six familiar from the 911 GT3 RS. The race-bred powertrain delivers 500 hp at 8,250 rpm and generates 338 lb.-ft. of torque at 6,250 rpm. The 911 R can accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 3.7 seconds and reach a top track speed of 200 miles per hour. True to its purist character, the lightweight model is available exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission featuring short, performance oriented gear ratios. The quick and crisp shifting further underscores the high level of driving engagement.

A thoroughbred driving machine utilizing track-bred technology

The 911 R was designed with corners in mind. The specially tuned standard rear-axle steering offers direct turn-in response and precise handling while maintaining a high level of stability. The mechanical rear differential lock ensures a maximum amount of traction, while the standard Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) system with 16.1 inch front and 15.4 inch rear rotors offers ultimate braking performance. Ultra-High Performance Tires measuring 245 millimeters at the front and 305 millimeters at the rear generate significant levels of grip. They are mounted on forged, lightweight 20-inch wheels with a matte aluminum finish and center locking hubs.

Porsche Stability Management (PSM) has been specifically calibrated for the 911 R by Porsche’s motorsport department. A rev-match function, which can be activated at the touch of a button, is a standard feature, while a single-mass flywheel is available as an option, sharpening the responsiveness of the engine even further. A front-axle lift system can also be optionally equipped to maximize everyday practicality: it can increase the ground clearance of the front axle by approximately 1.2 inches at the touch of a button.

Weighing just 3021 pounds, the 911 R is 110 pounds lighter than the 911 GT3 RS. The front luggage compartment lid and the front fenders are made of carbon fiber, while the roof is made of magnesium, lowering the vehicle’s center of gravity. Reduced interior insulation and the omission of rear seats also help to reduce weight. The 911 R comes standard without an air conditioning or audio system. They can be ordered at no extra charge.

More than meets the eye: classic 911 look with GT racing technology

The 911 R retains a sleek, classic look. At first glance, the body resembles that of the 911 Carrera. Only the front fascia and rear body familiar from the 911 GT3 hint at the birthplace of the 911 R: Porsche’s motorsport department in Flacht. Under the skin, the 911 R has much to show: the engine comes from the 911 GT3 RS. All the lightweight components of the body and the complete chassis have been adopted from the 911 GT3. Road use being the priority, the 911 R does without the fixed rear wing characteristic of the 911 GT3 and 911 GT3 RS models. Instead, an automatically deployed rear spoiler, familiar from the 911 Carrera models, and a rear underbody diffuser specific to the 911 R provide the necessary downforce. Front and rear fascia components are taken from the 911 GT3. The Sport Exhaust System is made of lightweight titanium, as is the case for the 911 GT3 RS. A redesigned spoiler lip is installed at the front. Optional Porsche logos on the side of the vehicle and color stripes in red or green running over the center of the car display the connection to its legendary predecessor.

The 911 R is equipped with full bucket seats with carbon fiber backrests and seat centers upholstered in houndstooth design, paying homage to the original 911 of the 1960s. A “911 R-specific” GT Sport steering wheel measuring 14.1 inches in diameter awaits the driver’s commands. Gearshifts can be carried out via a shortened, R-specific gear lever. Carbon fiber interior trim strips with an embedded aluminum badge on the passenger side indicate the limited production number of the 911 R. A feature typical of GT vehicles, the conventional handles are replaced with door opening loops.

Vehicle launch and prices The 2016 Porsche 911 R can be ordered now. In the United States, it will be reach dealers late this summer. The starting MSRP is $184,900, excluding the $1,050 destination charge.

Don't they release "the last pure 911" almost every year? Haha. Looks sweet though, Porsche can't really screw much up at this point.

My Ride

I'd rather put myself on a diet and have the giant wing and fender vents

Never thought i'd ever say this but I would actually prefer the PDK. If I had the money, I would also have a Cayman GT4 when I wanted to drive stick though.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

From another forum...

...there are a lot of people, your humble author included, who are deeply interested in the idea of a widebody C7 without a supercharger and all the attendant hassle. This time, too, the Grand Sport is actually lighter than the Z06, which is just icing on the crossed-flag cake. It seems reasonable to suppose that it will be priced somewhere between the Stingray Z51 and the Z06, and if that's the case, it will be a screaming bargain.

Nobody is going use the phrase "screaming bargain" to describe the Porsche 911 R. It's more expensive than the GT3 RS, and most of the vaunted weight savings come from leaving expensive pieces like the air conditioner and the complex rear wing on the factory shelf. Yes, it has a magnesium roof. So does the GT3 RS.

Porsche has made a bit of a habit lately of charging more for less; until very recently, you paid extra money to get your Boxster without a convertible top. Such was not always the case. The 356 Speedster was the first great bargain Porsche, but just 24 short years ago the company offered most of the 911R's purist-friendly features on the 1993 RS America, which cost about 10 grand less than the Carrera 2 on which it was based. The RS-A was showroom poison—I was in the dealership game back then, and I remember it well—but it had a spectacular second act in the used market, and nowadays you will pay nearly twice as much for a 1993 RS America as you would for a base Carrera 2.

You can't blame Porsche for wanting to get a bit of that markup themselves instead of leaving it to the cars' future third owners. You also have to respect the marketing savvy behind releasing it as a limited edition and thus ensuring that they'll be a quick and profitable sale for the dealers. With that said, surely nobody can deny that it would be easy to make a six-speed base 911 with minimal equipment and sell it for considerably less than the $84,300 base price of the two-wheel-drive Carrera coupe. I realize that to do would to be to endanger the market position of the Cayman GTS. I also remember that once upon a time the 944 Turbo and 911 Carrera 3.2 were direct rivals in performance and pricing, but no children or kittens were injured as a result.

There's something disappointing about this 911 R. It's a supremely desirable mechanical object, and it strikes all the right notes from the slick tail to the houndstooth seats, but the basic idea behind it is "charge our most loyal customers extra for the stuff they like." As a multiple-Porsche owner, I find that unnerving and upsetting. This isn't the company with which I fell in love as a kid, and it's not the philosophy of product that led me to work nights and weekends, so I could have a 911 in my garage.

This isn't the way it's supposed to be. General Motors is supposed to be the cynical corporation with the laser-sharp marketing and Sloan-plan pricing. Porsche is supposed to be the plucky bunch of iconoclasts who sell uncompromising enthusiast-focused vehicles to the cognoscenti. Precisely the reverse is happening. I don't like it.

Nor do I think it's particularly brilliant on Porsche's part to make the 911 R a garage-queen collector's edition while Chevrolet floods the streets with Grand Sports. If you're reading this website, chances are you're either a kid who loves cars or you were once a kid who loved cars. Me too. I vividly remember seeing 911 SCs and the like around my neighborhood when I was a precocious pre-teen. I remember riding my bicycle fourteen miles to see the first 944 Turbo S to arrive at my local dealership. I grew up wanting a 911 of my very own, a dream I fulfilled right after my 31st birthday.

Kids these days, if they think of Porsche at all, probably think of the company as the nice people who make their mommy's Macan or their neighbor's Cayenne. Imagine that you're a 10-year-old sitting in the back of a Porsche SUV on the way to school. You're paying attention to your iPhone or your Kindle or whatever when you hear a rumble. Something wicked this way comes. You look away from your electronic babysitter and glance out the window. There's a big black Corvette Grand Sport rumbling past, all unrestrained menace and polished testosterone. You've never seen anything like it.

That's how lifelong customers are made, right there. Porsche will eventually come to regret their decision to make their best and brightest products limited editions, methinks. But since it's too late for me, and I'm already a dyed-in-the-houndstooth fan of the company, I'll put my money where my mouth is, one last time. I want a proper less-is-more 911. Just like the 911 R, but without the magnesium roof and the wound-up engine. I'll take a six-speed coupe, no frills, cloth interior, base motor is fine. Put it in a showroom for whatever the Grand Sport ends up costing. Sixty-five grand, maybe. Seventy, tops. Give me the purist car at the purist price, and I'll show up at the dealership with check in hand. Make it Grand Prix White, please. You can do it, Porsche. Don't make me go to the dark side. I hear they have rookie stripes on the fender.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Porsche regrets nothing.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=163211

Still making stupid profit on each car, destroying everyone else. Charging more for less works. It's all in the limited edition mindset.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...t=businessdiss
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Porsche has things pretty dialed in right now. They know exactly what they're doing and its working.

The masses yelled and screamed when the GT3 went PDK only "We want a manual!" So Porsche gave them one in a car built for "purists" and charged them more for it. If they haven't already they'll sell every one they build.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 03-07-2016 at 06:19 PM.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

That rant isn't wrong, per se, but to claim dilution has ruined the Porsche brand, while holding up GM as the ideal alternative is hilarious.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. There is a lot to say for the value in a vette. Maybe you love it, maybe you hate it, but there is no denying it is one hell of a good value if all you are after is performance.

That guy's rant forgets one thing too. Porsche already has a 'cheap' model to buy if you want a bare bones 911 and only care about the performance. It is called a base model Cayman S.... which is a 75g stripped down 911 if you look at the performance numbers. As far as I understand too, porsche has said the engine is identical to the engine in the 911... it just makes a bit less hp so the cayman S doesn't spank the 911 in performance.

The problem with the Cayman is it is like buying a 944 in the 80s over a 911. Sure new it wasn't too different, and it was still a good car back then...... but 30 years later the 944 is a total piece of shit for value, and a 911 from that era is droolworthy... like all 911s but the 996. If you buy a 911 you know you have something that will hold its value and will likely never be worth less than 30g if it is in decent shape... and if you buy a cayman, you are buying a future 944/boxster where you know it'll probably be worth nothing someday. Plus IMO, few buy a Cayman that wouldn't rather have a 911...

If you're going to have a rant about porsche, I'd rant about how they used to have a list a mile long for options and each option cost a small fortune to add. They have definitely much improved that part of their business because now I look at their website (must resist, must not put 100k to sleep by buying a car) and find myself only selecting a few options which amounts to sport + seats, paint, and maybe the chrono package.

My Ride
    ute

That is the best rant I have heard in ages...and generally sums up why I have little interest in a 911. Looking at fun cars to fill a newly made garage spot, everyone and their dog just says "911". Yawn.

Great cars, but they are building porsches for porsche enthusiasts now.

The new C7 GS is built for car enthusiasts, and I'd probably buy one instead.

Originally posted by Buster
    Great cars, but they are building porsches for porsche enthusiasts now.
    In terms of the 911 they always did. Air-cooled, rear engine cars when not much else was. Even when they switched to water-cooled engines they kept it in the back, when nearly every critic said with modern tech they wouldn't keep up with new mid engined cars of the time.

I'd always rather be in a Porsche than a Chevrolet, even if that means the Chevy has more power, is faster on the track etc etc etc.
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Motor Trend just did a fantastic review of this car, minus the lame joke at the beginning. Looks like it's everything is going Porsche's way lately, as this is another hit.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

how do i get one?!!!
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by npham
    Motor Trend just did a fantastic review of this car, minus the lame joke at the beginning. Looks like it's everything is going Porsche's way lately, as this is another hit.

This car was more or less a test bed for the 991.2 GT3 drivetrain.

I can't wait and ill be begging a dealer for an MSRP deal next year I think. Here's hoping!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by Darkane

This car was more or less a test bed for the 991.2 GT3 drivetrain.

I can't wait and ill be begging a dealer for an MSRP deal next year I think. Here's hoping!
    Good luck! (Assuming you're talking about the 911 R)

There is basically no way to get an R unless you are willing to pay a really unreasonable price for it.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

wow!

My Ride
    ute

What an amazing car.

But holy cow, the Porsche consumer market are a bunch of suckers.

My Ride
    NC1

Porsche regrets nothing.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=163211

Still making stupid profit on each car, destroying everyone else. Charging more for less works. It's all in the limited edition mindset.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...t=businessdiss
    I was on the Porsche site browsing thew new 911 and thinking to myself, is it ok if I buy a new one with zero options lol Just take it as is + doc fee, freight, pdi, tire tax, ac, GST lol

I mean their standard is quite loaded right?

And then figure might as well just keep mine.
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The shitty part about these "special" cars is that most end up being garage queens so that they don't depreciate.

Originally posted by JustinL

Good luck! (Assuming you're talking about the 911 R)

There is basically no way to get an R unless you are willing to pay a really unreasonable price for it.
    My cousin in Texas tried to order one and initially the dealer said they could probably get him an allocation Apparently they weren't even close but he did get a GT4 as a consolation prize

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast