Quantcast
Mid Engined C8 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mid Engined C8

Originally posted by corsvette

Because this mid-engined Corvette will have to match/exceed the performance of the world's best exotic cars, to do that it's going to cost more money.

It won't be in the exotic price territory. Hopefully full on performance of any exotic car at less than 1/2 the price.
    Do you really think it's going to match/exceed cars like the McLaren P1, Porsche 918, LaFerrari, etc.? I have a lot of trouble believing Chevy can build a car like that (or better) and not even be in "exotic" price territory, let alone less than half price.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Do you really think it's going to match/exceed cars like the McLaren P1, Porsche 918, LaFerrari, etc.? I have a lot of trouble believing Chevy can build a car like that (or better) and not even be in "exotic" price territory, let alone less than half price.
    They were like what 18 seconds slower with last gen zr1 and it was like 100-120 k USD? (7:19 or close to that)

18 seconds is no small task, but im sure the zr1 is / was as fast as the new 675, and those are like ~375-400 k USD.

So maybe a good estimate is same performance for 1/4 of price

Originally posted by riander5

They were like what 18 seconds slower with last gen zr1 and it was like 100-120 k USD? (7:19 or close to that)

18 seconds is no small task, but im sure the zr1 is / was as fast as the new 675, and those are like ~375-400 k USD.

So maybe a good estimate is same performance for 1/4 of price
    18 sec is pretty huge on the ring, and I think it was more - just googling, the 918 was 6:57 and the ZR1 was 7:19:63, so almost 23 seconds behind and also behind the similarly priced standard Nissan GT-R from the same list. The P1 apparently did an "unofficial" 6:47, which would be well over 30 seconds faster *if* that is true.

The comment was "match or exceed" the "worlds best exotics" so I really don't think that is going to happen at such "low" price points, but if they do, good on them. If Chevy makes a P1/918 killer for a fraction of the price and takes 20-30 sec off their ring time I will be shocked. I don't think it's going to happen.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

That's what people thought with the C4, C5, C6, and C7 as well. So far, that's exactly what Chevy has proven since 1984. Or, at least, 1985 when they got rid of that awful cross-fire injection.

I think now it is perhaps becoming a bit more difficult, due to the use of expensive materials like entire bodies made from carbon fiber. But from at least a technical standpoint (engines, suspensions, etc), Chevy has matched the best for 3 decades now.

Originally posted by Kloubek

That's what people thought with the C4, C5, C6, and C7 as well. So far, that's exactly what Chevy has proven since 1984. Or, at least, 1985 when they got rid of that awful cross-fire injection.

I think now it is perhaps becoming a bit more difficult, due to the use of expensive materials like entire bodies made from carbon fiber. But from at least a technical standpoint (engines, suspensions, etc), Chevy has matched the best for 3 decades now.
    I'm not sure I follow - nothing they make right now even comes close to the world's best exotics (relatively speaking of course - they are all very fast). This new car would have to take 20-30 seconds off it's ring time (an eternity around the 7 min mark) and I don't see that happening for $200K or whatever they would charge for it. They aren't even close to matching the best exotics at the moment and I wouldn't expect them to with the price gap.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

I'm not sure I follow - nothing they make right now even comes close to the world's best exotics (relatively speaking of course - they are all very fast). This new car would have to take 20-30 seconds off it's ring time (an eternity around the 7 min mark) and I don't see that happening for $200K or whatever they would charge for it. They aren't even close to matching the best exotics at the moment and I wouldn't expect them to with the price gap.
    4 year difference between the cars though. Also the best corvette is still stuck with FR layout.

I think if they finally ditched FR they could compete. Wont know unless it happens

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Well firstly, it's not about what they make right now. If that was good enough, they wouldn't be redesigning it, nor spending copious amounts of money for a mid engine format.

What I was getting at is that everyone seems to be constantly underestimating the Corvette, yet they manage to quell the pundits every time.

But regardless, I'm not really certain the Corvette is designed to be direct competition with the "best" exotics. Never really has been. Those are all-out supercars, and someone who has the money to buy something like that isn't interested in a Corvette at 1/10th the cost. So I'm not sure comparing it to those vehicles is really a fair or even relevant conversation.

I think they are more geared towards those who want the car that offers the very best performance at the best price. So we can talk about it beating the ultra-exotics, but at the end of the day even if Chevy doesn't achieve that level of performance (and they probably won't) they are still likely to be putting out a product that comes at least extremely close... all at fraction of the price.

Note, by the way, that if we must compare to the ultra exotics, we're not actually talking half the price or even a quarter of the price. The very cheapest of those three is the Porsche, and it's still a million bucks. So really, we're looking at somewhere between 10-15% the price. I think I'd happily give up a few tenths for a 850g discount...

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by Kloubek

the fast Corvettes are too much of a handful to be called real competitors to anybody. I doubt any of those guys are sweating when they see the numbers a new Vette puts up because they know what the car is like to drive

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

weird question for you fellas

anyone like the last gen c6 body (z06) better then the new body c7 equivalent?
    The more I look at my car and the new body style, the more I like the c6. Of course I know I can't compare interior or power, but, just wondering if anyone shares my opinion on exterior styling alone.

There's something just... off about the new c7.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I think the C7 looks good, but doesn't seem as cohesive of a design as prior generations.

I think I might actually prefer the C5 design over the C6, in fact. (Interior excluded, of course).

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

hardtop C5 Z06s look really awesome, but the widebody C6 (Z51 / Grand Sport) is where it's at

C6 grand sport is my fav too if I were to grab one, no way I'm buying a vette with no targa. It seems they are still in demand too, the grand sport and 2010+ Z06 are about the same price range used

As for the C7, I like everything about the design except for the rear. The interior is miles better than the C6 though
    Last edited by slinkie; 07-20-2016 at 02:06 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

C6 Z06 with the centennial package is my favourite.

7:22 at the ring with only 505hp.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The C5 Z06 was the pinnacle of Corvette exterior design for my personally. I will continue dreaming of owning one.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    The C5 Z06 was the pinnacle of Corvette exterior design for my personally. I will continue dreaming of owning one.
    nah the pinnacle was the c4. for corvette anyways. What'a change!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride
    K-car

C7 makes the C6 look almost bland in comparison, they just have a presence that previous Vettes can't match.

Styling is totally subjective, but imo Chevy nailed it with the C7.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

As far as looks go, I don't like the regular C7 very much. The C7 Z06 looks really good though. I'd still lean toward a C6 Z06 or ZR1 though, if I had my choice.

I'd rather have a C4 than a C5. Again, based just on looks.

I'd like to see a mid engined Corvette, just because I'd like to see what GM could do with the Camaro and no front engine, rear drive car in front of it. Dodge and Ford don't have that problem with their Challenger and Mustang.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by slinkie
    C6 grand sport is my fav too if I were to grab one, no way I'm buying a vette with no targa. It seems they are still in demand too, the grand sport and 2010+ Z06 are about the same price range used

Yup. Had I not spent a pile of money modding the crap out of mine I could have easily listed (sold?) it for the same price I paid for it in early 2012, at least based on what similar mileage/option ones are listed for.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by SKR
    As far as looks go, I don't like the regular C7 very much. The C7 Z06 looks really good though. I'd still lean toward a C6 Z06 or ZR1 though, if I had my choice.

I'd rather have a C4 than a C5. Again, based just on looks.

I'd like to see a mid engined Corvette, just because I'd like to see what GM could do with the Camaro and no front engine, rear drive car in front of it. Dodge and Ford don't have that problem with their Challenger and Mustang.
    Dodge does/did with the viper. But guess what they didn't give a fuck.

707hp in a 30k rental car.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast