Quantcast
Cranston Riverstone (SE Community) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cranston Riverstone (SE Community)

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Interesting stuff. More interesting is that info only came out in 2015..this area was well underway (but thats just my opinion..building in historic flood plains is eventually going to catch up to us)

Have you contacted insurance and seen what they have to say about rates down there?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Interesting stuff. More interesting is that info only came out in 2015..this area was well underway (but thats just my opinion..building in historic flood plains is eventually going to catch up to us)

Have you contacted insurance and seen what they have to say about rates down there?
    I believe the intention for the community was always to be out of the 1:100 flood plane area. Which is why they built it up. I believe the province updated all their flood models and maps after the 2013 floods with information gathered during that flood event. I have no idea what, if any 1:100 flood area information changed after that.

I have not spoken to insurance yet. They're next on the list, plus need to confirm what, if anything is noted on title for that area.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Are you looking at abandoning us other Cranstonites up on the hill? My wife and I have looked down there a fair bit, especially now that the "estate homes" have dropped so much in price. I think it would be beautiful to love down there but I am not sure how much more construction traffic I could deal with after putting up with these schools being built. A huge benefit would not be getting stuck at the lights turning left. Going straight never has any issues.

Also on a side note to others in this thread: I'm nearly positive HOA fees in Cranston are not flat fees. My buddy has a fairly large house and he pays a different fee from me, and I am different from his Condo that he owns.

EDIT: My wife is an environmental engineer and her team (which comprises of hydro geologists) were paying pretty close attention to many areas during the flood. The water came close to the lowest houses but never flooded any of them. As long as you're a block or so up I don't see any issues in flooding based on what we saw in 2013.

Personally I'd probably look at houses closest to the hill but thats because I would like the wild life and not having anyone behind me.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 01-26-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by schurchill39
    EDIT: My wife is an environmental engineer and her team (which comprises of hydro geologists) were paying pretty close attention to many areas during the flood. The water came close to the lowest houses but never flooded any of them. As long as you're a block or so up I don't see any issues in flooding based on what we saw in 2013.
    All I know is that i work with a couple hydrotechnical engineers, one of which lives up the hill in Cranston, and cannot believe that people are building down there.. and he does flood modeling daily

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

All I know is that i work with a couple hydrotechnical engineers, one of which lives up the hill in Cranston, and cannot believe that people are building down there.. and he does flood modeling daily
    Oh don't get me wrong. I think its silly to build that close to any river no matter how high up you are, but from what we saw in 2013 (both living in Cranston and taking daily walks down there during the flood) all of the houses were fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ya, just not for me. Playing those odds seems like a poor choice with the biggest purchase of your life...still curious what insurance thinks of buying down there..

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by schurchill39
    Are you looking at abandoning us other Cranstonites up on the hill? My wife and I have looked down there a fair bit, especially now that the "estate homes" have dropped so much in price. I think it would be beautiful to love down there but I am not sure how much more construction traffic I could deal with after putting up with these schools being built. A huge benefit would not be getting stuck at the lights turning left. Going straight never has any issues.

Also on a side note to others in this thread: I'm nearly positive HOA fees in Cranston are not flat fees. My buddy has a fairly large house and he pays a different fee from me, and I am different from his Condo that he owns.

Personally I'd probably look at houses closest to the hill but thats because I would like the wild life and not having anyone behind me.
    We are considering it yes. Not quite in a position to purchase right now but we’re trying to get a handle on market conditions and what a built might cost before we 100% pull the trigger.

And I agree, our preference would be on the escarpment side but I think the amount of lots on that side are limited moving forward. Plus there’s a couple future multifamily townhouse sites to contend with/avoid along the escarpment.

I’d be curious their actual reason for not wanting to live down there… personal preference or actual legitimate engineering reasoning? Maybe their concern is groundwater seepage because based on everything I’ve found there should be little risk of overland flooding. And definitely no more risk than other ‘river communities’ that are close to the river but out of the 1:100 flood zone.

What's Cranston like these days? I was an early buyer/builder there, it was our 2nd home, on Cramond Cres right in the cul de sac, not one of the 1st homes, but very early, there was nothing but very bad bus service there then, no stores, nothing, you had to go across 22x for absolutely everything. The night we moved in, it was Oct of 2000 IIRC, there was nothing but open field behind our house all the way to the city. Looking at the map now, quite a lot has changed. Still can't believe how good I had it then, 950$ a month mortgage on a 20yr including PIT, and Discovery/Morrison wasn't all that bad of a builder to be honest. My 150$k rinky dink home there is $400k now. Wow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2