Quantcast
50% of the Canadian Rig fleet active! January 2017 - Fuck Yeah - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 50% of the Canadian Rig fleet active! January 2017 - Fuck Yeah

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

CAODC finally published. Might have been yesterday, I don't know, wasn't online. Anyway, it's 314/641 for them, which is 49%.

Can you guys imagine how fucked we'd all be for services if the utilization was 75%?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Getting tough to get timely cement.
    Cementer checking in. Can verify.

Things have been absolute CHAOS and its tough getting guys as margins are still thin, therefore salaries are not elevated yet. It seems a lot of people would rather sit at home on EI than accept whats being offered.

I'm trying to run a project with skeleton crews/ equipment.

I can very well see the prices starting to go up now though.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    CAODC finally published. Might have been yesterday, I don't know, wasn't online. Anyway, it's 314/641 for them, which is 49%.

Can you guys imagine how fucked we'd all be for services if the utilization was 75%?

Well, oil companies would be fucked because services would be raising their rates to cover the raises they would NEED to give hands to work in the field. I'm still working at a 40% lower day rate than I was this time 2 years ago. And I'm in the top tier for rates
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by theken
    Frac has been busy as hell, but our wages are still down, and benefits aren't there. Doesn't seem worth it for the 15 day hitch.
    Although I agree that what field service guys are making right now is absolute BS but unfortunately although the industry is busy right now it needs to be a sustained busy. Q2 is still looming over everyone and no one wants to go on the yo yo of wages going up then down etc. What we all need to keep in mind is that although the last few months have been busy (January being retarded busy) is that this comes after 2 years of things being slow

Prices still aren't up very much and margins are razor thin. I know its a priority for all service companies to raise prices so they can afford to pay their guys better but when the margins aren't there the money isn't there to do so.

Thankfully Q2 should be steady enough for most companies that work for bigger players that we should all start seeing wage increases in Q3. I don't think we can expect 2011-2014 wages but better than what we are making now for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, wages can't really go up substantially until the activity level is sustained, and projected to stay that way.

I would also think that most companies will be working hard to keep wage inflation in check no matter what the activity gets to. Those high costs were one of the big reasons so many companies got into such big trouble.

Is it safe to assume most of the field staff that have been recalled for this Q1 surge of work are now working as contractors and not as rehired employees?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5

Really good article from Peter Terzakian about the January numbers with some color:
    https://www.arcenergyinstitute.com/bound-for-a-rebound/

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I really enjoy Tertzikians stuff, he's a great writer, and an excellent speaker too, he was the keynote at a conference I attended a couple of year ago.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Originally posted by schurchill39

Although I agree that what field service guys are making right now is absolute BS but unfortunately although the industry is busy right now it needs to be a sustained busy. Q2 is still looming over everyone and no one wants to go on the yo yo of wages going up then down etc. What we all need to keep in mind is that although the last few months have been busy (January being retarded busy) is that this comes after 2 years of things being slow

Prices still aren't up very much and margins are razor thin. I know its a priority for all service companies to raise prices so they can afford to pay their guys better but when the margins aren't there the money isn't there to do so.

Thankfully Q2 should be steady enough for most companies that work for bigger players that we should all start seeing wage increases in Q3. I don't think we can expect 2011-2014 wages but better than what we are making now for sure.
    One of our guys came out to inform us that our Q2 was quite busy, as in 75% booked, we are having companies pay us standby while they coil instead of letting us go for 4-5 days, because they won't be getting us back. And they brought in a 11 day pay guarantee (for day rate). Our day rate is not very good though, so thats not a great bonus, but it is something. I have noticed price increases on the ticket, and less discounting from calgary. But at the end of day, i am only seasonal here currently, and am making roughly 1/2 what i was making last time i worked field, but, it is better than the alternative.

My Ride
    Ford F150

..our Q2 was quite busy, as in 75% booked,... I have noticed price increases on the ticket, and less discounting from calgary. ....
    That's when it's time to push for more money. I got a 10% bump for similar reasons.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

CAODC count this week (Feb 13th) is 236/641 = 37%

Suspect several of the oilsands corehole programs are ramping down. The year I was in that world, we ran until first week of march, but those were different times.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Are all my pumping bros still flat out?

I had a few coil and cementing jobs lined up this week and on one the cementers had to cancel as they got stuck on another well and the other the coil had to cancel cause they were stuck doing a frac clean out.

I suspect the cementers cancelled due to having a better job come up as we don't use them very much if at all, but our regular cementers were too busy.

Saw a convoy or Sanjel trucks going up #2. Looked like 4 pressure trucks 2 op shacks a couple water trucks and 2 gen/compressor trucks.

...Interesting??
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Was delayed setting up equipment on a few job sites since they had to wait on cementers. So far the record is 44 hours from when the hole was drilled out and pipe tripped out, to when the cementers finally showed up

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

CAODC count this week (Feb 13th) is 236/641 = 37%

Suspect several of the oilsands corehole programs are ramping down. The year I was in that world, we ran until first week of march, but those were different times.
    My daily DOB update said 351 active, 287 down, 55% active.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by 90_Shelby

My daily DOB update said 351 active, 287 down, 55% active.
    June Warren nickels (jwn) use totally different methods for counting active rigs. JWN will always be higher. I've tried to highlight the differences throughout this thread.

That being said, this is a larger than normal difference. Interesting.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Love reading Dave Yager. Good quote from his article this week

"If your definition of success is a return to 2014, you’ll be disappointed. But if you’re still in business after the past two years, this is a measurable and meaningful improvement for the part of the industry that’s chasing rigs."
    http://www.jwnenergy.com/article/201...ecovery-yager/

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

CAODC count from today, tuesday Feb 21st is 262/641 or 41% active.

I think that last week was a bit of a fluke. Remember CAODC doesn't count rigs that are moving or rigging up, so it's subject to some big fluctuations.

Baker Hughes was showing 331 active on Friday, and that's closer to the "normal" difference between those two sources.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
    Was delayed setting up equipment on a few job sites since they had to wait on cementers. So far the record is 44 hours from when the hole was drilled out and pipe tripped out, to when the cementers finally showed up
    We've had numerous 12 hour waits... I thought that was bad... guess not.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

One of our guys came out to inform us that our Q2 was quite busy, as in 75% booked, we are having companies pay us standby while they coil instead of letting us go for 4-5 days, because they won't be getting us back. And they brought in a 11 day pay guarantee (for day rate). Our day rate is not very good though, so thats not a great bonus, but it is something. I have noticed price increases on the ticket, and less discounting from calgary. But at the end of day, i am only seasonal here currently, and am making roughly 1/2 what i was making last time i worked field, but, it is better than the alternative.
    The fear of losing a frac crew is nearly as big as the fear of not having them show up in the first place.

Overall prices are up, but so is what companies are paying for products. Add that to needing to show a profit after getting shit whipped for 2 years, there will need to be sustained hire prices before anything comes back in terms of wages. It blows, but I'd rather not have my pay increase just to decrease again. I think the guaranteed days during Q2 isn't so much about "hey you will have 11 days for sure" as much as it is indirectly saying "We're not going to take anything away from you during Q2"

Like someone else mentioned, companies will be fighting hard to keep overall wages down from 2011-2014 numbers as its a general consensus that they were way to high. I think we will see pay end up roughly right in the middle of what we are all at now and what we were at prior to the slow down.

Are all my pumping bros still flat out?
    Flat out. Frac, cement, coil, pressure trucks, everything. We're telling our customers that Q2 isn't even looking good to get a crew of any sort.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 02-21-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast