Quantcast
2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Default 2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...cy-114652.html

As per an exclusive report published by Nikkei, the all-new powerplant will use “pressure, not spark plugs, to ignite fuel.”
    Due to the lack of spark plugs, the new engine will employ homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) to make things go boom. In other words, a gasoline-fed motor with the ignition system of a diesel engine. Other than superior gas mileage, this technical solution is also believed to reduce exhaust emissions. Slated to debut in 2018 in the next-gen Mazda3, the homogenous charge compression ignition SkyActiv mill will then roll out to other models.

Nikkei’s report highlights that the second-generation SkyActiv engine “would give the current Mazda3 mileage approaching 30 km per liter, according to estimates.” That’d be 3.3 l/100 km and 70.5 miles per gallon, figures that would put the 2018 Mazda3 at the very top of the compact segment.
    Wiki for HCCI:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homoge...ssion_ignition

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Not sure I would trust the insane amounts of pressure required, especially in a first gen model.

There'd be so much more integrity required in the components, most likely resulting in a heavier engine...
    Last edited by jwslam; 01-17-2017 at 07:56 AM.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by jwslam
    Not sure I would trust the insane amounts of pressure required, especially in a first gen model.

There'd be so much more integrity required in the components, most likely resulting in a heavier engine...
    I read an SAE paper on compression ignition from the 90's that said the ignition and burn could be as smooth and shockless as spark ignition if the fuel could be delivered in the exact right amount, at the exact right time, at the exact right place in the combustion chamber. They were testing it back then but could only get the desired results at fixed engine speeds. Direct injection efi and combustion analysis is probably where it needs to be now to achieve that.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Are the pressures higher than diesel? Have never heard of this for gasoline, but sounds like a pretty awesome technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I wonder how these would fare when being started up in extreme cold cranking conditions.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by heavyD
    I wonder how these would fare when being started up in extreme cold cranking conditions.
    I assume theyd still have a spark plug for starting conditions, then once its up to temperature it stops sparking and switches over to HCCI mode?

Or maybe some kind of glow plug like diesels have? Its an interesting concept for sure.

I'd be really, really surprised if it was exclusively HCCI. It only works in very specific combustion temperature, pressure, and engine speed ranges. There has been a ton of effort in the past decade to try and use standard sensors and advanced modeling to determine if the combustion is appropriate without resorting to in-cylinder monitoring. Even with controlled gasoline which has known burn rates there are significant challenges. Super impressive work though, excited to get more details.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

How about making these cars more fun instead? Those N/A "Skyactiv" motors are some of the most boring and under powered out there IMHO. I'd love to see them use a small turbo instead.

Sounds like a cool technology for an "eco" model or hybrid competitor though.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    How about making these cars more fun instead? Those N/A "Skyactiv" motors are some of the most boring and under powered out there IMHO. I'd love to see them use a small turbo instead.

Have you ever driven one?

My '14 3 GT is a hoot. Sure it's only got 185hp, but it's paired to a great transmission and chassis. Lots of fun.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I'm always onboard for actually bringing improvements to ICE's, sounds pretty interesting. Mazda has always been good in this regard and Skyactiv is actually a pretty cool piece of tech.

To me one of the big benefits is not having the plugs in there, would make the head WAY simpler. But if the plug is still in there for cold starting then I don't REALLY see the point. Higher pressures is definitely better for efficiency I guess...

Must making adjusting timing a bitch though, how do diesels compensate?

/nerd
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I wonder if this tech could feed into the rotary engine somehow?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Apparently the engineers are resisting turbo at Mazda as they prefer more direct throttle feel. They want 0 lag and more direct throttle feel.

At least that's their excuses with MX-5.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    I wonder if this tech could feed into the rotary engine somehow?
    Rotary is dead under current administration.

Originally posted by A790

Have you ever driven one?

My '14 3 GT is a hoot. Sure it's only got 185hp, but it's paired to a great transmission and chassis. Lots of fun.
    Yeah I drove many actually, across various model years, both new and used, when I was shopping for my Civic (which is no more fun, don't get me wrong). I've also re-visited them when helping friends shop more recently. They were boring and very overpriced in my opinion, especially if you want that 185hp motor they start at $27K or something like that. Add a couple options and you are in GTI territory with a vastly better engine. Just wasn't for me I guess.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Apparently the engineers are resisting turbo at Mazda as they prefer more direct throttle feel. They want 0 lag and more direct throttle feel.

At least that's their excuses with MX-5.
    Sounds like a poor excuse when other manufacturers can turbo engines with no perceptible lag and performance benefits across the entire RPM range (like a lot of the 2.0T's out there). Personally I'd still rather have a little lag than an under powered 'sports car'.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Sounds like a poor excuse when other manufacturers can turbo engines with no perceptible lag and performance benefits across the entire RPM range (like a lot of the 2.0T's out there). Personally I'd still rather have a little lag than an under powered 'sports car'.
    All turbo has lag, just some more than others.

They did put a turbo on 2.5L for the CX-9 for heavier duty. I think it would be cool if they slap a turbo on the 2L in Miata.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Lets not forget Mazda was in dire straits a few years ago and probably doesn't have near the resources as other manufacturers when it comes to multiple engine designs.

Originally posted by Xtrema

All turbo has lag, just some more than others.

They did put a turbo on 2.5L for the CX-9 for heavier duty. I think it would be cool if they slap a turbo on the 2L in Miata.
    I guess, but reviewers often state things like "no noticeable turbo lag" so if there is lag it's a total non issue compared to the benefits. I've driven a few cars now where I literally could not tell it had a turbo unless I put it in an absurdly high gear at low speed.

Definitely would be cool. Mazda's other turbo engines are great, I just wish they would show a little more power love to the Miata especially.

I also still see rust on some very new Mazda 3's which always concerns me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I also still see rust on some very new Mazda 3's which always concerns me.
    They have transitioned from Japanese to Mexican steel, not sure if that improves the quality a bit. But yeah, rusting is still a huge issue with Mazda in the early 2010.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Yeah I drove many actually, across various model years, both new and used, when I was shopping for my Civic (which is no more fun, don't get me wrong). I've also re-visited them when helping friends shop more recently. They were boring and very overpriced in my opinion, especially if you want that 185hp motor they start at $27K or something like that. Add a couple options and you are in GTI territory with a vastly better engine. Just wasn't for me I guess.
    Fair enough, at least you drive one and gave it a fair shot.

I'm pretty happy with mine. Sips gas, enough punch when I want to have fun on an on-ramp. Wish it had more power... but that's true of every car I've ever owned.

Originally posted by A790

Fair enough, at least you drive one and gave it a fair shot.

I'm pretty happy with mine. Sips gas, enough punch when I want to have fun on an on-ramp. Wish it had more power... but that's true of every car I've ever owned.
    Power is definitely my biggest complaint with my Civic as well - I am used to cars with 2-3 times the HP and TQ so it was a bit of an adjustment haha. Pretty hard to fault otherwise though for a cheap DD, and not one single problem in 7 years. When I bought it I lived downtown and drove ~5,000km/year tops but now things have changed so I care about my care a bit more.

I'm in the market for a new car now though and having a turbo is pretty high on the list, for the torque and to cancel out our elevation handicap. Finding a fun car with a sub-$400 lease payment though is a challenge.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-17-2017 at 05:21 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Different article popped up on my news feed with some more info saying the new HCCI engine will run 18:1 compression ratio

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...cid=spartanntp
    Last edited by pheoxs; 01-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast