Quantcast
Buying first house on the block... Good investment? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying first house on the block... Good investment?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Another thing to consider is how unlikely a boom/surge in new home purchases is to happen in the near future.

Last home we were maybe the 5th or 6th on the street but by the time our house was under construction they must have already started another 10-15 homes. By the time we moved in nearly all the lots were sold and it was going pretty crazy. A year after moving in our block and a couple past us were all built out.

Something to consider.... if the market was slow that process could take years

My Ride
    changes every year

I was the 5th house built back in 2o10 and the house I just built is the 3rd last. not once have I had a flat tire, that's the upside. they've been building right next to me for the last 8 months, it's finally done, no more construction.

it really sucks being there that long with the shitty temp road and the fuckface workers that steal your power/water and park in front of your driveway everyday.

I've had run ins with them about 5 times about various shit they do, so expect that if you're going to be the first.

My Ride
    2011 Audi A6 Avant

Ah the memories of unending dust, mice, flats.

The only good thing was having first choice of colours due to the various architectural controls. I had a few of my later neighbors complain that I "took" the colours they wanted.

My Ride
    Bicycle

You won't have a fence or a usable yard for at least a few summers if you don't have neighbors to talking about sharing fencing cost.

Plus neighboring unbuild lots will be full of weed so if you like lawn, if probably don't want to lay sod down until you immediate constructions are done and neighbors stay laying sod as well.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

In addition to what others have said, you say you're 3rd house in, but on the main entrance?

A quieter side street or cul de sac is much more desirable than being on the main entrance with tons of traffic going by to the rest of the development.

Also look at their zoning for where higher density (if any) places are going. We looked out into a beautiful field until the final phase then they built a whole bunch of medium density town/row houses across the street which basically stole all the street parking for everyone.

My Ride
    TDi

I've been waiting on the empty lot beside me to sell and it's not selling. Someone build with Jager!!

Can't do much as far as landscaping and not looking to pitch in the whole in for the whole fence as it would be closer to 3.5-4k in materials alone.

I built my house my house when the street was fairly empty, but since then the houses started popping up like crazy.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by pheoxs
    In addition to what others have said, you say you're 3rd house in, but on the main entrance?

A quieter side street or cul de sac is much more desirable than being on the main entrance with tons of traffic going by to the rest of the development.
    This; I would never wanna be that house especially if it's a front attached garage.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by pheoxs

Also look at their zoning for where higher density (if any) places are going. We looked out into a beautiful field until the final phase then they built a whole bunch of medium density town/row houses across the street which basically stole all the street parking for everyone.
    Use this land use map to see what is coming in all other areas around you.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/P...2007-maps.aspx

The sales people might not disclose everything that will be developed in the future. And dont buy anything that backs onto a golf course

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Couldnt do it. My folks were one of the first to build a new house across from the pond in Evanston. Couple years of dusty windows, mosquitos, construction, and dump trucks whizzing by the front door at 70k every 30 seconds.

Your car will never be clean again.

Originally posted by 403ep3
    I've been waiting on the empty lot beside me to sell and it's not selling. Someone build with Jager!!

Can't do much as far as landscaping and not looking to pitch in the whole in for the whole fence as it would be closer to 3.5-4k in materials alone.

I built my house my house when the street was fairly empty, but since then the houses started popping up like crazy.
    This is an important factor most dont consider when picking a lot. Who owns the ones beside you? Some builders end up sitting on their land forever with no care as to when they sell. Does that builder only do 20 houses a year and are sitting on 50 lots or are they over priced that no one will buy? Lots to consider so your not beside a dirt lot forever.

As to the person saying selling into a new neighborhood is bad. For the most part its better for a buyer to buy the house thats a year old as that owner paid for the fence and landscaping as well as other upgrades that they may not get their money back on.

They have to price to the comps of other used houses not the builders prices... plus as the area goes from phase 1 to phase 6 the land costs always increase.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I bought the 4th house in panatella and it was a terrible mistake. Two years of fighting weeds and debris all over, people cutting through my yard because I didn't have a fence etc.

..then the kicker. Behind me went a bunch of 8 plex town houses. Original build layout had single family homes not a bunch of 8 plexes. Out my bedroom window I could see into 8 living rooms. i got tired of college kids parking out front of my house and walking through my yard to their town houses so I built a fence (neighbor wouldn't split on either side because they were rentals). I echo the flat tires and services issues, no internet for 2 months was way worse than I expected.

As soon as I got grass set and all the landscaping done I listed and sold the house running as far away as possible. Never again will I buy in a new area unless there is landscaping and a solid house base first.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by OTown
    I wouldn't say South facing is per say a 'good thing'. Its a personal preference and it depends what you want out of your outdoor space and lighting.
    Think he is referring to a south facing back yard which is the most desirable.

I wouldn't say the first home on the street is a guaranteed money maker, first few phases in a new community usually are.

Who's the builder?

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

Do you guys think building a home on a corner lot has more valuable than the inner lots? Lets say all the lots are around the same sizes.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by phubu
    Do you guys think building a home on a corner lot has more valuable than the inner lots? Lets say all the lots are around the same sizes.
    Only if it doesn't have a sidewalk, I hate shoveling snow.

Otherwise, corner lots usually mean 1 less neighbor, so 1 less potential conflict.

theres no value in a corner lot... more snow removal, more work and more costs with architectural controls. When it comes to resale its a deal breaker for many.

In many new areas youll see the corner lot beside show homes sitting empty for many many years down the road. Heck my house is 2 doors down from a quiet street and when i bought it my realtor pointed it out that it may affect some buyers decisions even though its a very quiet area backing onto a green space.

Others have mentioned south back yards as undesirable but that is the most common request in new home sales. My personal preference would be south back yard only because mine faces north right now and i hate having awesome summer days where i cant enjoy the sun as much as some of my neighbors.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by gwill
    Others have mentioned south back yards as undesirable but that is the most common request in new home sales. My personal preference would be south back yard only because mine faces north right now and i hate having awesome summer days where i cant enjoy the sun as much as some of my neighbors.
    I much prefer the south driveway I have that doesn't build up ice.

Its a good convenience but no one has ever come into my show home and asked for a south facing driveway. When someones picking a lot it regularly becomes a deal breaker if its not backing south.

Other deal breakers ive had to deal with lots relate to lucky numbers on the address, chineese superstitions or vastu shastra (probably spelling that wrong) for east indians.

You can have the best deal on the block but it wont matter to those types of buyers.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by jwslam

I much prefer the south driveway I have that doesn't build up ice.
    Just shovel your driveway... works for me.

Plus a shade on your driveway in the summer is much better for washing your car.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I prefer a SE back yard with a driveway facing NW so I get afternoon and evening sun on the driveway to melt snow.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My south facing backyard is awesome for those chilly end of summer evenings, but far to hot on any "nice" day. Probably its the fact that it's got thirty feet of dark stucco creating a solar oven back there.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast