Quantcast
Buying first house on the block... Good investment? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Buying first house on the block... Good investment?

My Ride
    girl car

Welp

I wish I caught this memo beforehand...

Got a corner lot and one of the first builds in the new phase.

The value I found was in a zero-lot line community, was that it allowed me to place windows on both sides of the house freely. Most houses in the community are limited to 1 side only. I felt like it gave me the space of a full size lot at a ~5k premium. Also, I needed a wide enough lot to build the specific house I wanted. Many of the lots were too narrow.

I don't mind shoveling.... sorta?

I'm kind of happy that I don't have to fence/landscape for a year or two.. The weeds however... hmm
    Mice?! Actually?

Could I shut off my exterior outlet power? And exterior water? Geeeeeez

The roads in my area are fully paved and sidewalks done, but I guess there'll still be nails around.

I did notice the land prices have increased ~6-8 grand as per the showhome's lot map.

IS THERE A SILVER LINING?! :'(

Y'all make me less excited to move in

What else should I expect?!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Shutting off your exterior power and water should be a matter or flipping a breaker and shutting the water off inside
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Just wanted to give an update...

So we've been in our "first house on the block" now for 8 months...been about 11 months since actual purchase date.

We bought for $471,000 total ($468,300 + upgrades), they are building a new spec home 3 lots over from us and selling for $535,000!!! And it's actually a little bit smaller than ours....Our block has 27 lots, so far just me and one other has moved in, and there are 3 more that are sold and building and 3 more spec homes being built including the one right next door that is about 500 sq ft bigger and selling for $571,000! I'm thinking if we had to, we could easily sell our house right now for $520-525...

Overall, very happy with my decision so far and the salesman was clearly not bullshitting me.

In terms of construction noise that some people have mentioned...I work 9-5pm, I'm literally never home when construction is going on. Someone also mentioned contractors stealing my electricity and water, I had a good laugh at that one. I can easily just turn off them off at the outside if that ever became a problem, otherwise, the showhomes are right across the street from me so all it takes is for me to walk in with any complaints.

We spent the entire winter with views of rolling hills and the entire block of beautiful fresh snow.

I should also clarify about us being the third house in....it is not from a main road per se...it's a small community to begin with, the main road is just a main road for the small community, and I am third house in from a alley...the street itself is only about 13 lots long and leads to a dead end.

And like I said, the showhomes are right across from us so we won't have to worry about trades being dicks where they park because they would get booted so fast by the sales people...and they'd also have to keep the street presentable...

Anyways, I would highly recommend this to anyone...if we waited until now, we wouldn't even be able to afford this house.
    Last edited by Sonic; 06-25-2017 at 07:29 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a good laugh at that one. I can easily just turn off them off at the outside if that ever became a problem, otherwise, the showhomes are right across the street from me so all it takes is for me to walk in with any complaints.
    Yeah, that's what my co-worker did, and they smashed his tap off in retaliation. Builder wouldn't do shit for him because "there was no proof his guys did it" Glad you're happy though, I was just warning you of possible outcomes which is what you asked for.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Is it a common practice for the contractors to use electricity and water from neighbouring homes?

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

I was wondering this too... Wouldn't it be provided by the builder??? I mean if the cost of electricity is cutting that much into your bottom line you should find a different job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's what my co-worker did, and they smashed his tap off in retaliation. Builder wouldn't do shit for him because "there was no proof his guys did it" Glad you're happy though, I was just warning you of possible outcomes which is what you asked for.
    Wow which builder??

I'm with Shane and they have been nothing but phenomenal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3