Quantcast
NoPulp Build Thread - Boosted V6 Mustang - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NoPulp Build Thread - Boosted V6 Mustang

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

Wow, nice work man. Good execution on the project.
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

Great looking car. I'm pretty familiar with the Ford 3.8/4.2's. I'd encourage you to get a tune on that pretty quick. Toma has done some work in the past on SuperCoupe's which are similar. Unsure what kind of boost you are running but without an I/C I'd make sure you are around the 6-8 mark. There is another hopped up 4.2 SN95 around, Jay's procharger build.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by LOLzilla
    Great looking car. I'm pretty familiar with the Ford 3.8/4.2's. I'd encourage you to get a tune on that pretty quick. Toma has done some work in the past on SuperCoupe's which are similar. Unsure what kind of boost you are running but without an I/C I'd make sure you are around the 6-8 mark. There is another hopped up 4.2 SN95 around, Jay's procharger build.
    Of course I have a tune lol.
    N/A it was done by VMP, tried to get them to do it with the SC and had problems with data logging and them actually doing work...

Currently running a diablo chip by tecmotion in Calgary. Matt is a great tuner.

Right now I'm at 9, would like to bump it down a touch to get the best boost VS temp mixture. Damn hEatons.
    To compensate for the intercooler I'm running meth. It's made a huge difference. Before the meth I would make 1 pull and it would seriously retard. Now it doesn't heat up hardly at all

I was unaware of anyone in Alberta with a built v6, know of a guy in Sask but that's it. Would love to meet with Jay.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 04-11-2015 at 12:36 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Originally posted by NoPulp

I was unaware of anyone in Alberta with a built v6, know of a guy in Sask but that's it. Would love to meet with Jay.
    There is a sleeper cell. Not many of us but we are around. There is at least 6 Thunderbird SC's that have been hopped up. Jay hasen't posted in awhile but this is his build.

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48335

I'm personally building a 4.5L SVO V6 after hearing of all the design limitations of 3.8/4.2. Progress is painfully slow though but it'll be a hell of a unicorn build once done. Bet this is the first and last time you'll see a SVO build.
    Last edited by LOLzilla; 04-11-2015 at 12:51 PM.

My Ride

Sweet deal, good to know there are still some around.
    Awesome build.

That's a great point about the rarity of boosted v6 Mustangs of that generation.

The funniest part of that is everyone, and I mean EVERY single person I knew who bought the v6 (either parents not wanting the v8 for "safety" reasons - ha ha - or for price reasons), always, always had the same slugline - "I'm going to supercharge it next month/year/whatever". I swear, I never met a Mustang v6 owner who didn't say that, in some sort of defensive way for not having bought a v8 car..."I got the v6 so I could supercharge it".

Not a single owner that's said that to me ever boosted their v6 Mustang, despite the many claims that "it was the plan all along" or something. I grew up on the 87-92 Five Litre cars being "the" ride to buy in your teens, but this generation you've built NoPulp is the first that I actually could afford, and owned in my early 20s. I had the v8 version, and like I said, every single v6 owner I would run into would invariably bring up boosting it in some way..hah. Nice to see one live and in color, even years later now.

I think this is probably one of my favorite builds I've seen, and not just because you actually DID boost a v6 Mustang - again, often claimed, rarely done in Western Canada in my experience - but also because of the fact you and your father did it at home yourselves, and did such a great job IMO. I really like it, great color, great interior with those new seats as wel.

Any idea on the total cost? That's one thing I didn't see so far, lots of questions and answers on power/tech stuff, but not on what it has set you back, other than the new seats. I'd love to do something similar with an ecoboost 4cyl in a year of two once some decent used ones come available in that time frame I like to purchase..

Great job, thanks for sharing all the pics. Are you or your father mechanics by trade?

My Ride

Originally posted by Gman.45
    That's a great point about the rarity of boosted v6 Mustangs of that generation.

The funniest part of that is everyone, and I mean EVERY single person I knew who bought the v6 (either parents not wanting the v8 for "safety" reasons - ha ha - or for price reasons), always, always had the same slugline - "I'm going to supercharge it next month/year/whatever". I swear, I never met a Mustang v6 owner who didn't say that, in some sort of defensive way for not having bought a v8 car..."I got the v6 so I could supercharge it".

Not a single owner that's said that to me ever boosted their v6 Mustang, despite the many claims that "it was the plan all along" or something. I grew up on the 87-92 Five Litre cars being "the" ride to buy in your teens, but this generation you've built NoPulp is the first that I actually could afford, and owned in my early 20s. I had the v8 version, and like I said, every single v6 owner I would run into would invariably bring up boosting it in some way..hah. Nice to see one live and in color, even years later now.

I think this is probably one of my favorite builds I've seen, and not just because you actually DID boost a v6 Mustang - again, often claimed, rarely done in Western Canada in my experience - but also because of the fact you and your father did it at home yourselves, and did such a great job IMO. I really like it, great color, great interior with those new seats as well.

Any idea on the total cost? That's one thing I didn't see so far, lots of questions and answers on power/tech stuff, but not on what it has set you back, other than the new seats. I'd love to do something similar with an ecoboost 4cyl in a year of two once some decent used ones come available in that time frame I like to purchase..

Great job, thanks for sharing all the pics. Are you or your father mechanics by trade?

Thank you! Really appreciate it!

Yes, I always find big talk with v6 owners... As much as I like sharing some of my knowledge and experience its frustrating that a lot of it gets wasted. Its not rocket science, but its a lot more than buying a blower and bolting it on. I also find a lot of the v6 builds can be really junky...

The car was a huge financial mistake lol. But its never been about the money. We use to keep track since it was always sort of a "budget build within reason", collecting parts as deals came up. I believe it hit the 20k mark a couple years ago? Definitely not worth a fraction of that, but that doesnt really matter. Its worth a lot more to me than that, I have no regrets continuing dumping in more money and time into it. I won't be letting the car go until its in tiny pieces or I get too old to enjoy it.

I'd love to see more ecoboost builds too. I've started to see a couple foxes take on a modern svo approach with the ecoboost.

Neither my dad or I are mechanics. My dad is really a jack of all trades. He's learned everything on his own (learned on his Nova and Galaxie), my grandpa isn't entirely mechanical inclined in the automotive sense. When I was younger we didn't have much money, my dad would buy cars occasional and fix them up to sell. My dad's education is accounting, millwright and electrician. He mostly does electrical and programming right now, in the past he's done engineering and management as well. I'll be graduating as a mechanical engineer technologist next week (should be studying for finals right now). I started off going for my degree, but wanted to be more hands on. Really enjoy what I'm doing.

Also, we just picked up another project... 56 ford 2dr sedan. It has a 55 front end and meteor grill right now. My dad just finished building a new garage, so he bought a project. Really happy he finally has a project for himself since its been over a decade since he sold the Galaxie. I might post a build thread for this if there's any interest once the project gets going. Right now its in the planning and parts/tool collecting stage.

He's thinking coyote swap if we can make it fit. If not maybe an ecoboost project? or something else different. Currently has an old truck 302 in it.

IMG_0693.jpg by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_0698.jpg by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr
    Last edited by NoPulp; 04-19-2015 at 05:02 PM.

My Ride

Done school as a mechanical engineering technologist. All moved back to Lethbridge now.

Well...
    Got pissed off at the car today. Have been having this weird intermittent miss for awhile, has been more frequent lately. After going through everything I got pissed off and decided to dig deeper. Started to suspect it could be a vacuum leak between the plate and the intake. Looks like I may have been correct.

IMG_0959 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_0961 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_0969 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

A bit of port action for yall.

IMG_0965 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_0982 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_0983 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

Well that escalated quickly. Hoping for the best!

I'm not the one to take picture of myself.... but I'll leave you with some sassy selfies!

IMG_0979 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_0976 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr
    Last edited by NoPulp; 04-26-2015 at 08:48 PM.

My Ride

Well everything is back together! Started it up, pulled it out of the garage.... smoke. Opened the hood and right away I saw one of the rubber heater lines was punctured and pissing out coolant. Great, one of those days! Tracked down a hose, bashed my knuckles a few more times and the burped the system.

Took it for a test drive... Don't want to jinx anything but it's running better than ever! I'm pretty confident that was the issue! Finally found it!
    I must have looked like an idiot driving down the road because I must have had a big dumb grin on my face.

Anyways, road trip tomorrow to calgary lol

My Ride

Seats installed! Need to get better pictures of the after since these pictures don't do justice. Very happy with the seats though!

The seats are a bit lighter, nothing incredible but every pound matters. Wasn't expecting huge weight savings and not the reason I bought these. I find a sit slightly lower than the stock seats, but its a really nice seating position. I'm 5 11" and the seats are the perfect size for me, the top of the seat nicely rests at the correct part of my head instead of the bottom of my neck like the stock seats. The seats are much more comfortable and supporting compared to the stock seats. They're a bit firmer, but nothing horrible and I'm guessing they'll soften over time. I'll have to give them a road trip test, but I'm thinking they're a big improvement for comfort.

Really the only negative thing I have to say is I have to get use to reaching behind me for the seat belt since there is no more belt loop.

It was also a good opportunity to clean the carpet, found $2.35!

IMG_1018 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_1018 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_1022 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_1029 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_1044 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_1046 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_1047 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

IMG_1034 by richaaarrrddd, on Flickr

I think they suite the interior pretty well actually. But I've already been planning on adding more black accents down the road.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 05-02-2015 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride
    2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus

Dude! I just found this.... AWESOME! I love it!

I've got a four-eye parked at my parents house that I just haven't got around to fixing ... v6, bright copper metallic, desert tan interior...

Like you said though, big plans for the v6, but reality is less impressive...

I've been eyeballing one of the SSM stage3 kits, but its like $10k... now, it'll supposedly handle 20psi or a 200hp nitrous shot, but still...

I love that you resisted the onslaught to switch to a v8, and instead have one badass v6 stang! I'd love to see it in person one day...
    Cars:
    Tuxedo Black 2012 Ford Focus
    Copper Metallic 1984 Mustang

Originally posted by carson blocks

The Greenpeace chopper runs on smug, harvested from free-range organic grain-fed hippies.

My Ride

Originally posted by TheHumbleGeek
    Dude! I just found this.... AWESOME! I love it!
    I really like 4 eyes, especially in copper. There use to be a super minty t-top around here.

I think its pretty easy to make good power out of a v6 for super cheap. Just strap a blower or turbo on it and hope for the best. It does get expensive to do it "properly" though.

The v6 build has definitely been fun. The engine build will likely end here though, probably just focus on getting it running perfect. Then when its time for a new engine I think I'll go with a coyote with a 6 speed. Its like the LS swap for people with taste... haha kidding. But the coyote is such a great platform and very cost effective.

A v6 ecoboost is tempting though... Not much support for swapping yet though.

Thanks for the kind words! Should be hitting up a few Calgary shows this year!

My Ride
    2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus

yea.. that sucks, but then, just means one would have to find a wreck with a complete drivetrain.... hmmmm, 3.5l ecoboost, and all wheel drive....

Don't get me wrong, the coyote is a nuts motor... but its also heavy...

Mine should be relatively easy to fix, I just have to find time/money for parts... needs a new rad support, alternator, trans cooler lines, and some other odds and ends, and I might be able to get it running again... well, and I'd have to flush the entire fuel system as its been sitting for a few years...

Keep us updated on how it goes, Im curious to see what you've got in the plan!
    Cars:
    Tuxedo Black 2012 Ford Focus
    Copper Metallic 1984 Mustang

Originally posted by carson blocks

The Greenpeace chopper runs on smug, harvested from free-range organic grain-fed hippies.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Those seats are awesome! Really dress up the interior nicely

My Ride
    Has wheels

Come across this for sale and recalled some chatter earlier about the number of builds similar to yours.

http://m.kijiji.ca/cars-trucks/calga...=1431066778790

My Ride

That's sweet! Don't see too many procharged ones, lots of nice parts on there! Probably going to be a hard sell though.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Originally posted by TheHumbleGeek
    yea.. that sucks, but then, just means one would have to find a wreck with a complete drivetrain.... hmmmm, 3.5l ecoboost, and all wheel drive....

Don't get me wrong, the coyote is a nuts motor... but its also heavy...

Mine should be relatively easy to fix, I just have to find time/money for parts... needs a new rad support, alternator, trans cooler lines, and some other odds and ends, and I might be able to get it running again... well, and I'd have to flush the entire fuel system as its been sitting for a few years...

Keep us updated on how it goes, Im curious to see what you've got in the plan!
    3.5L Ecoboost is 449lbs and the Coyote is 430lbs. Neither are light weights. I'm not biased though.

Edit: common misconception about the Coyote's weight - it is very wide which is where you can't beat an LS motor.

For comparison a LS3 is about 418lbs.

My Ride

Well the race to get ready for Driven Calgary!

My Ride

Did some rig shots with Kevin Chow.

Here's the first picture he finished editing!

They were a lot of fun to do!

For those interested in saying hi ....

The shows I plan on attending in Calgary so far are:

1. Driven - Olympic Oval May 23th
    2. illmotion (if I get in) - August 9th
    3. Frontier Place (Ford show) - August 16th in the Tecmotion parking lot (Frontier Place SE)

Of course I'll also be at Street Machine Weekend in Lethbridge, which I'm sure a bunch of people will come down for.

Hope to meet some of you guys!

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast