Quantcast
When are you tossing on your winters and what tire tires recommended for this year? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: When are you tossing on your winters and what tire tires recommended for this year?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Threw my studs on the Subaru just now in case the roads get really bad anytime soon, will probably run the Duratracs till early November as terrible as they are in snow and ice conditions.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Winters are on. Dont want to test my skills with summer tires tomorrow morning.

My Ride
    sport trac adrenalin

New studded winters are on today Oct 10 :-)

Originally posted by Khyron

It's not 15C in the MORNING when I'm driving to work. Anything under 7, winters are better. Put mine on the frs Thurs. The SUV can wait a few weeks as it's got all seasons (trying to get a set from UrbanX but they are swamped).
    total bullshit; what they keep saying in commercials and all that is pretty misleading.

I've run slicks (formula car) on race tracks in the end half of october in single digit temps and they were still extremely grippy. Either I am gods gift to driving or they are absolutely lying when they say below 7 degrees winters are better for grip than anything not winter.

Here is that math: End of october I ran 2.xx seconds a lap slower than the lap record in that car, and the lap record wasn't run in october... Now that same car with amazing street tires drops way over 5 seconds a lap. put winter tires on it and you're not running faster than slicks or street tires. ...you're dropping 10+ seconds a lap easily. So it's probably safe to say from driving in absolutely ideal conditions to driving in single digit temps that accounted for maybe 1, maybe 2 seconds a lap, which is surprisingly very little, and makes their statement easy to prove that it is total bullshit.

Why you put winters on in single digits is because of surprise negative temperatures where there may be ice on the road. You go from superior grip to no grip in a split second, and for how much better summer tires are in positive temps it's not usually worth the trade off of how much worse they are in neg temps on ice. That's really their message, but they purposely lie with an easier message to get across.

It's the same with tires in the rain. slicks are faster than rain tires on wet tracks, until there is too much water that the slicks do not grip at all. It's an equally sharp fall off, which is basically awesome grip... awesome grip... omg no grip. But it actually takes a fair bit of rain or standing water to make rain tires superior imo.
    Last edited by zhao; 10-10-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Swapped both vehicles this weekend

Michelin X Ice for the wife's vehicle
    Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on the 335d for me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3