Quantcast
What shops offer nanocoatings? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What shops offer nanocoatings?

My Ride
    16 RDX

Originally posted by rlim891

Putting SI02 coatings on film. You have to be careful with that.

Many PPF manufacturer will actually void the warranty of their film if they know you put a hard coating on it.

Let's put it this way. PPF expands and contract and they stretch. This is how they are able to stop impact from rocks. Putting a SI02 coating on it will sometimes affect the film.

Coatings do not last very long on ppf. Expect hydrophobic to last about 1-2 years. Now there are films now with infused hydrophobic top coat so coating them is sometimes not necessary.
    I just wanted to mention that Opti-Coat Pro+ is the only SiC (silicon carbide) coating on the market, whereas the rest are SiO2 (silicon dioxide.) SiC doesn't wear away over time like SiO2 does. Additionally, Opti-Coat Pro is mentioned specifically on websites such as XPEL as being safe to apply over top of your PPF. Opti-Coat Pro+ is warrantied for 7 years, but the first stage of that two stage coating is a permanent coating - it can only be removed by polishing.

Regarding any lessening of the hydrophobic effect of any long-term coating: it is usually the result of contamination build up over the coating. Coatings reduce the amount of bonded contaminants but do not prevent them, so often a decontamination service (either chemical decon or clay/nano towel) will improve the hydrophobic effect.
    Last edited by Jed Bouscal; 02-22-2017 at 04:53 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Just to clarify, would it be a terrible idea to get these coatings put on if the paint hasn't been polished? Cause that's what we did back in the day, and I'm wondering if that explains my poor outcome.
    It all depends on what they want from the coating.

I have helped people to put on coating on to their new vehicle without full correction. Just simple, wash, decon, spot correction for major scuffs or scratch and finally coating.

All they cared was the fact it'll make their car easier to wash and maintain. But this was always done to a new car, so the paint just had some minor swirls and no major defects.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by Jed Bouscal

I just wanted to mention that Opti-Coat Pro+ is the only SiC (silicon carbide) coating on the market, whereas the rest are SiO2 (silicon dioxide.) SiC doesn't wear away over time like SiO2 does. Additionally, Opti-Coat Pro is mentioned specifically on websites such as XPEL as being safe to apply over top of your PPF. Opti-Coat Pro+ is warrantied for 7 years, but the first stage of that two stage coating is a permanent coating - it can only be removed by polishing.

Regarding any lessening of the hydrophobic effect of any long-term coating: it is usually the result of contamination build up over the coating. Coatings reduce the amount of bonded contaminants but do not prevent them, so often a decontamination service (either chemical decon or clay/nano towel) will improve the hydrophobic effect.
    Absolutely! as I had mentioned earlier as well, maintenance is required with almost any coatings.

Unfortunatly many coatings that are considered super hydrophobic (contact angle >120), a decon/light clay bar would not bring back the full water repellency which some things only happens when the coatings are first applied.

Warranty is another thing everyone should ask when choosing a coating. What is warrantied? Most manufacturers will only warrant against your factory paint from being damaged by environmental stuff (ie, bird pop, UV..water spot etching..etc).

Some will warrantied against gloss (yearly check up with gloss meter) but none will warrant against hydrophobic.

(By the way Jed we should get together sometimes for lunch again! )
    Last edited by rlim891; 02-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Do these coatings have any effect on collision mitigation braking sensors located behind bumpers? The manual says not to apply any coatings to the bumper, but I suspect something like a perfectly clear coating would be fine.

SONAX is set to release their new coating very soon!

http://professional.sonax.com/Vehicl...nt-Finish/CC36

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Do these coatings have any effect on collision mitigation braking sensors located behind bumpers? The manual says not to apply any coatings to the bumper, but I suspect something like a perfectly clear coating would be fine.
    Nope it won't affect it.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by GTR_Auto
    SONAX is set to release their new coating very soon!

http://professional.sonax.com/Vehicl...nt-Finish/CC36
    There are more than 100 companies now jumping on the coating market. Many of them are private labels, they are not the manufacturer.

Which is why we see a lot of similarity now which coatings.

Hydrophobic and hardness etc..

But in the end it's all about the installer applying it.

The most recent advancement in nano coatings is self healing. There are 2 manufacturers pushing it now.

My Ride
    16 RDX

Originally posted by rlim891

(By the way Jed we should get together sometimes for lunch again! )
    You bet Rainer any time.

Stopped by SR International today and got Rainer to put a nanocoating on my vehicle. Excellent experience. He was knowledgeable, patient, very honest, and didn't try to up-sell me anything I didn't need. Educated me on everything beforehand and answered my dozens of questions. High attention to detail. 10/10 service highly recommend him.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Stopped by SR International today and got Rainer to put a nanocoating on my vehicle. Excellent experience. He was knowledgeable, patient, very honest, and didn't try to up-sell me anything I didn't need. Educated me on everything beforehand and answered my dozens of questions. High attention to detail. 10/10 service highly recommend him.
    +1 my thoughts echo everything said here.

Originally posted by gpomp
    If the dealership washed the car there will be scratches in it guaranteed.
    Everything scratches it.

You touch it with your hand and it'll have scratches just from your skin. Even brand new Microfibers scratch clear coat.

If you ever used a snow brush on your car, its fucked.

As far as I see, the dealership washing the car or not is the least of it's problems.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by zhao

Everything scratches it.

You touch it with your hand and it'll have scratches just from your skin. Even brand new Microfibers scratch clear coat.

If you ever used a snow brush on your car, its fucked.

As far as I see, the dealership washing the car or not is the least of it's problems.
    Just thought I should chip in...

Washing vehicles nowadays can be almost 100% scratch free. Some Detail shops uses a foam gun with a high quality soap to loosen dirt before using the 2 Bucket wash method. Using different wash mitts for lower door panels and rocker panels. This method is time consuming so your average detailer won't be using this method.

Depending on the type of clear.. unfortunately yes, sometimes rubbing your hand on them will scratch it. This goes to why nano coatings 9H (pencil) hardness will 'help' with those scratching

mistu - what coating did you end up with??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2