Quantcast
Do I need new tires? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do I need new tires?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ercchry

Or... buy a full set of PSS's, mount fronts... visit castrol on a Thursday night... kill the conti rears and mount the PSS's
    The real solution...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by killramos

The real solution...
    Real solution would be to buy some $$$ rims, mount PSS's on those... take both pairs of conti's to castrol, roast all 4 then drive home on PSS's, then get winters mounted on oem wheels

If I wasn't afraid of my clutch and bearings this was totally my game plan... but was going to roast old crappy winters, and PSS's since I want the original 19s as my winter set, and the 18s I had for winter tossed on the 330

My Ride
    is broken

From Hoosier,
    What are the do's and don'ts when storing Hoosier race tires at the end of the racing season?
    TIRE STORAGE The useful life of a tire, whether mounted or dismounted, is directly affected by storage conditions. Tires should always be stored indoors in a dark, cool, dry room.

DO
    1 Remove the tires from the vehicle.
    2. Remove the air from the tires and store them on their side in a cool/dark/dry environment.
    3. Place tires in a black plastic bag when stored during the "off-season".
    4. Make sure the temperature range in the storage location is between 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.

DON'T
    1. Don't store tires in direct sunlight or near electric motors. (Electric motors emit small amounts of ozone.) Tires need to be protected from light, especially sunlight. Light causes ultraviolet damage by breaking down the rubber compounds. The storeroom should not contain electrical welding or any other equipment that could produce ozone.
    2. Don't apply any chemical treatments to Hoosier tires. (It's not necessary and may actually damage the integrity of the tire by breaking down the rubber properties of the tire.) Tires must not be allowed to come in contact with oils, greases, solvents, or other petroleum products that cause rubber to soften or deteriorate.
    3. Don't store tires in sub-freezing temperatures for any length of time. (The rubber can freeze and may crack as a result.)

The real solution...
    No disrespect meant man, but comments like this always make me cringe a bit. That is only because when you do this for a living, and by that I mean nothing but tires day in and day out for multiple decades (I started doing this full time in 1987), you see virtually every major brand and all models having this type, or other types as well, of issues come in now and again, and no brand is more or less a nightmare compared to the other.

The fact is as a consumer who realistically only sees maybe a few dozen sets of tires at most over the course of their driving life will not be likely to experience issues, but when you see dozens of sets daily, you run into it more commonly than you might think, so when you have an issue you lose brand faith, when in reality the vast majority of the time it is an anomaly...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I had the same problem with my stock PZeros. Got PSS.

My car was delivered on Dec 23rd.

I am rethinking winter deliveries in the future.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by tirebob
    No disrespect meant man, but comments like this always make me cringe a bit. That is only because when you do this for a living, and by that I mean nothing but tires day in and day out for multiple decades (I started doing this full time in 1987), you see virtually every major brand and all models having this type, or other types as well, of issues come in now and again, and no brand is more or less a nightmare compared to the other.

The fact is as a consumer who realistically only sees maybe a few dozen sets of tires at most over the course of their driving life will not be likely to experience issues, but when you see dozens of sets daily, you run into it more commonly than you might think, so when you have an issue you lose brand faith, when in reality the vast majority of the time it is an anomaly...
    Yea I'm not speaking so much about issues as much as preference the actual performance of the Michelin tires in the first place.

I wasn't implying the Michelin are incapable of having issues.

The tires are obviously toast and need to be replaced with something, I am just suggesting he replace them with a better performing ( by my personal opinion ) tire.

All the continentals I have every owned have had shit performance and that is what drives my opinion of them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Yea I'm not speaking so much about issues as much as preference the actual performance of the Michelin tires in the first place.

I wasn't implying the Michelin are incapable of having issues.

The tires are obviously toast and need to be replaced with something, I am just suggesting he replace them with a better performing ( by my personal opinion ) tire.

All the continentals I have every owned have had shit performance and that is what drives my opinion of them.
    I can definitely understand. Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact Continental is huge into the OEM tire game, and virtually all OEM tires are inferior when compared to the tires companies build to compete in the replacement tire world. When they are approached by car companies, it pretty much goes like this... "We would like you to build a tire for our new car that meets these minimum qualities and characteristics and we want it as cheap as possible and we will buy 16 million of them if the contract is cheap enough!".

Naturally the tire companies are spending as little money as possible to meet these minimum standards to win contracts. I don't care if it is Conti or Michelin or Pirelli or whoever... OEM tires are almost always disappointing.

Now when you move to the replacement tire world, they are trying to outdo each other and tires are built with the better technology and are always advancing, and generally speaking you are getting a much superior product to the OEM versions coming off.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

That is not even close to cracking for warranty.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    This and that.

Heard back from Continental for those of who are interested;
    Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas, LLC.

Original equipment tires on your new BMW M3, are covered under the following warranties:

• 72 months from the date of purchase for workmanship and materials
    • 48 months from the date of purchase for weather cracking
    • 12 months or the first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first) for ride disturbance/vibration

You may return to the place of purchase or any authorized Continental Tire dealer in your area to have your tire(s) inspected for warranty consideration. If you or your dealer have questions, or need assistance, we are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM ET, at 1-800-847-3349. When calling, please reference #
    So the next step for me is to contact my service advisor at my BMW dealer and hopefully he can sort something out.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Good luck. I am still waiting to hear back from Pirelli 2 years later.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Heard back from Continental for those of who are interested;

So the next step for me is to contact my service advisor at my BMW dealer and hopefully he can sort something out.

You may have to pay out of pocket to buy a new tire and then wait for Conti to reimburse you. Of course your BMW dealer will facilitate the warranty process on your behalf if they are good
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    This and that.

Taking it in this afternoon for the dealer to take a look...let's see I guess.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Taking it in this afternoon for the dealer to take a look...let's see I guess.

Good luck. Thats how we warranty the tires here for customers at Benz
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    From Hoosier,
    Hoosiers, which are DOT slicks have stricter storage and handling requirements than performance summer tires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2