Quantcast
New 2018 Odyssey announced - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New 2018 Odyssey announced

I wonder how that 10-speed tranny is to drive. The amount of gears worries me.

The vehicle I have driven with the most gears was 9 in a Jeep Cherokee and it was perhaps the worst transmission I have ever experienced. Absolute garbage - I could barely stand to drive the damn thing. I hope Honda did a better job.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The vehicle I have driven with the most gears was 9 in a Jeep Cherokee and it was perhaps the worst transmission I have ever experienced. Absolute garbage - I could barely stand to drive the damn thing. I hope Honda did a better job.
    I would imagine they are all going to have occasional issues hunting for the right gear. I recently read an article on the GM/Ford 10-speed and that's a minor gripe.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

If its anything like the ZF auto 9 speed found in the TLX its the shits... as in shitty

Originally posted by 88CRX

If its anything like the ZF auto 9 speed found in the TLX its the shits... as in shitty
    It was soooooo bad. 20-30 mph and it's in 8th or 9th gear, shifting to there as fast as possible. You need to floor it to get it to shift out of 9th (or to shift down from any gear for that matter), and you get a neck-snapping jerk of un-refinement when you do so. How anyone test drives one of these things and is like "yeah that's acceptable" I have no idea. It also wouldn't' shift up when going down hills, weirdly forcing engine braking upon the driver.

It's hard to imagine 9 or 10 speeds that aren't constantly shifting around though, so maybe I wouldn't like any of them. If they behave like a 6 speed but with the last 2 or 3 gears overdrive only, then it's probably better.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

the 9 speed is definitely a piece of junk. hopefully they learned from that and improved the 10 speed.

The 10 speed transmission was developed in house by Honda, so that's a big positive I'm hoping.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

It was soooooo bad. 20-30 mph and it's in 8th or 9th gear, shifting to there as fast as possible. You need to floor it to get it to shift out of 9th (or to shift down from any gear for that matter), and you get a neck-snapping jerk of un-refinement when you do so. How anyone test drives one of these things and is like "yeah that's acceptable" I have no idea. It also wouldn't' shift up when going down hills, weirdly forcing engine braking upon the driver.

It's hard to imagine 9 or 10 speeds that aren't constantly shifting around though, so maybe I wouldn't like any of them. If they behave like a 6 speed but with the last 2 or 3 gears overdrive only, then it's probably better.
    Well when you’re bagging on the car it shifts OK. Its always downshifting and switching gears but its not terrible when driving aggressively.

The problems come into play in stop and go rush hour traffic, the bumps from gear to gear are harsh when you let up on the gas peddle as its shifting. And when you’re slowly putting along and then need to switch lanes and speed up it take literally 2 full seconds to downshift (probably 3+ gears) then it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2