Quantcast
German vehicle owners and the one signal click (split) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: German vehicle owners and the one signal click (split)

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Ha! That wasn't even my goal. It was just a valid comparison I thought. Now, do beyond.ca BMW owners just do the quick water rinse & jet prior to closing their next deal on bluetooth OR...do they do the lather, rinse & dry?

Wash my own car?!?!?!?!? Eww

That's peasant talk

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by NoSup4U

Wash my own car?!?!?!?!? Eww

That's peasant talk
    He's talking about washing your hands...

And please, doesn't everyone have someone who washes their hands for them?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

I use the single tap three blink signal about 90% of the time. The only time I ever really leave it on is if I need to get into another lane in tight traffic situations. I don't like getting cut off, so I avoid doing it to others as well.

I tend to believe that most BMW drivers abide by and enforce their own rules, written in the secret BMW version of the TSA.

Originally posted by killramos

He's talking about washing your hands...

And please, doesn't everyone have someone who washes their hands for them?
    Really though, next thing they are going to tell us they have to wipe their own ass

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I love the 1-tap 3-blink signal...
    Me too. And it's already really enjoyable seeing people who don't know how to use it...they signal to change a lane and it does the three blinks, but they were only expecting the one, so they click it back the other way and it signals three times the opposite way, then they click again...etc.!

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by never

Me too. And it's already really enjoyable seeing people who don't know how to use it...they signal to change a lane and it does the three blinks, but they were only expecting the one, so they click it back the other way and it signals three times the opposite way, then they click again...etc.!
    I know how to use mine but I do this all the time lol

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Haha yeah, that happened to me the first time I took a Mini out for a test ride. I didn't know it was a thing and I kept fighting with it until I realized it was a feature

My Harley is kind of the same way in that it has self canceling signals. It stays on if you're riding straight or stopped, but if it detects you've made a turn it blinks a couple more times and shuts off (at least I think that's how it works; I haven't and won't read the manual hahaha). I still have a habit of canceling my signals so if I wait too late, I actually end up turning them back on right after they've automatically shut off Fortunately I'm pretty anal retentive about maintaining my speed and knowing what time it is so I'm constantly checking my instrument cluster so I don't go more than a couple blocks until I notice, but I still feel like a dumbass when I catch myself.

Equally often I see people who have the feature, but refuse to use it - they only do the full-on signal engagement, even if it's just for a couple blinks.

My Ride
    G37X

I love it too but I've done that as well.

My Ride

I can see how BMW drivers would end up signalling after they change lanes... I borrowed a newer M3 for a day, and it was impossible to change lanes when giving a warning with a signal. People closed the gap, for whatever reason.

It's a chicken and egg thing: did douche BMW drivers cause people to not want to let them in, or do people not letting in BMW drivers cause them to be douches?

Is this a BMW thing, or is it a luxury car envy thing?

Never had these problems driving my peon vehicles

Originally posted by Abeo
    I can see how BMW drivers would end up signalling after they change lanes... I borrowed a newer M3 for a day, and it was impossible to change lanes when giving a warning with a signal. People closed the gap, for whatever reason.

It's a chicken and egg thing: did douche BMW drivers cause people to not want to let them in, or do people not letting in BMW drivers cause them to be douches?

It's a Calgary driver thing - I've seen it or experienced it every day for my entire driving life. Leave a gap, and someone comes in. Keeping a safe following distance is almost impossible without constantly slowing down all traffic behind you. Few people signal, or might as well have not signaled due to how useless it was. It's just the Calgary way - I don't think it had anything to do with you driving a BMW.

My Ride
    G37X

It's a Calgary driver thing - I've seen it or experienced it every day for my entire driving life. Leave a gap, and someone comes in. Keeping a safe following distance is almost impossible without constantly slowing down all traffic behind you. Few people signal, or might as well have not signaled due to how useless it was. It's just the Calgary way - I don't think it had anything to do with you driving a BMW.
    So true. Although this also happens to me back in BC when locals see that red letter plate

It is the Calgary way. Damned if you do, not getting into a lane if you don't. I had some butterball broad going into what looked to be a seizure when I passed her (with a signal.) Not my fault that you're not paying attention.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

In my WV it has the 3 click I find if I use it I have to do it twice. My Hyundai had the option to change it to 5 clicks and that's about right.

You can't use a one click in heavy traffic. Works fine on the highway when there's more than enough room and signalling your intention is essentially a formality, but in the city it's pretty useless

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

German vehicles? wahh

Try foreign drivers. Seriously, drive for 25 minutes in Falcon Ridge (I have to work up in this shit hole now) and you will want to shoot yourself with how piss poor just about EVERY driver is.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    German vehicles? wahh

Try foreign drivers. Seriously, drive for 25 minutes in Falcon Ridge (I have to work up in this shit hole now) and you will want to shoot yourself with how piss poor just about EVERY driver is.
    That's a whole nother can of worms right there. Try bridle wood where every Filipino is scared to leave the left lane as they putter along. Look for the rosary beads dangling around the mirror and some tacky sticker. It's so predictable.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's definitely car related. In a BMW or Mercedes, I can't signal without everyone closing the gap. I also find drivers to be way more aggressive in changing lanes in front of me knowing I'll brake in my luxury German car. The Lexus is better, but not by a lot. In the minivan (we rent one every summer) everyone is so courteous haha. People go out of their way to give me a huge gap in the good old Town & Country.

The Mercedes exception was in the CLK63 BS with Montana plates. I could drive like a total dick, run off the end of Crowchild using the Bow Trail exit lane, stop, signal, and people would let me in. Guess we're still nice to tourists haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I haven't noticed a difference when driving the wife's Mercedes or my smoke-spewing diesel. But then again, I guess they can both be considered douchebag vehicles.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Could be an envy thing, certainly possible.

However, if all else being equal and everyone in Calgary doesn't give space to anyone, then we should see everyone also not signalling to get into a lane. IME, it's simple observation on the road of who's obviously driving by their own rules and more often than not it's a German car driver, especially entry level coupes/sedans and any level SUV.

Another class of driver that, ironically, drives like asshats: Baby on Board sign owners.
    Last edited by msommers; 05-05-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

If someone tries to shut the door on me trying to change lanes I keep coming over anyway. I didn't cut them off, they cut themselves off. Fucking idiots.

Originally posted by rage2

It's definitely car related. In a BMW or Mercedes, I can't signal without everyone closing the gap. I also find drivers to be way more aggressive in changing lanes in front of me knowing I'll brake in my luxury German car. The Lexus is better, but not by a lot. In the minivan (we rent one every summer) everyone is so courteous haha. People go out of their way to give me a huge gap in the good old Town & Country.

The Mercedes exception was in the CLK63 BS with Montana plates. I could drive like a total dick, run off the end of Crowchild using the Bow Trail exit lane, stop, signal, and people would let me in. Guess we're still nice to tourists haha.
    Weird, my last 2 cars have been Hondas and the exact same thing happens all the time Maybe they just think I'm a douche

I notice it regardless of who I am driving with as well, across a wide variety of brands. I just find in general Calgary drivers are unskilled, discourteous, and often dangerous. I would agree that high end German car drivers are very often discourteous though, so maybe some people hold a grudge. The only thing worse (aside from old people and soccer moms who simply shouldn't be on the road) are pickup truck drivers, 9/10 times it is a lifted diesel. A close second are cab drivers - some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. There is also nothing slower moving on the road than a cab with a fare in it - they even start slowing down before intersections hoping to catch the yellow and add $0.30 to the fare.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-05-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast