Quantcast
JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

Sweet sweet, looking forward to both your projects

Those lazy buggers at my insurance place LOL

^^ At this point huh
    sounds like a challenge LOL
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Is anybody able to suggest who to talk to on finding out if a vehicle is eligible for import from the US? In my interpretation, the car I am looking at is, but other people have said it can't be done. Of course, they haven't gone to the border and tried to get it across so... Thanks for any info!

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

maybe re read the very first post in this thread, or call riv if your still unsure
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Sorry legendboy, I don't think I explained myself well enough :lol:. I was unsure whether the importers listed here strictly did sales of import cars they had purchased, or if they would import a specific car you had found. I now realize that it seems many of them do both, and some also will just do the "broker"ing part of the deal.

My Ride
    SRT

ok i'm a littel confused by this part of the explanation they have on the US export website

"Documentation required

1. For U.S. Titled Vehicles

1. Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original."

since i will purchase the car once i'm in teh states, does that mean that the dude has to send the current papers to the boarder point and when i come i bring them the new papers or what's the deal? i need this ASAP so please any info will help

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

when i went down, i made the deal on the car, then the guy paid out the lien on the car, and i had to wait 2 days to get the original title from the bank.

I faxed the border my worksheet and a the copy of the title the owner had as soon as i got it from him. you need the original or a certified/notarized copy(s) if you don't have the original when you get to the border.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

^^ Yup i got the owner to fax everything over to WHITELASH montana , thats where its supose to go. They need to have it 3 days before you try and cross the boarder.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Lots of good information in here, thanks james.

I've looked for laws for importing a clear title roller into Canada but cant find anything yet, if i do i'll post it up.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

Ill look into it.
    any luck?

killer deal in ohio that might drag me back into the car world, but not if it's gonna be a huge hassle
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    SRT

^^ Yup i got the owner to fax everything over to WHITELASH montana , thats where its supose to go. They need to have it 3 days before you try and cross the boarder.
    since this will be stickyed i'm sure, do you also have the fax number for us lazy biotches otherwise, where exactly are you sending these papers in whitelash? and do you mean that the owner faxed the papers over BEFORE the deal was made or after you guys signed it and you had the bill of sale or what not? just to be 100% sure, when you call, you call the border point that you intend to cross through right? thanks in advance meng

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by finboy

any luck?

killer deal in ohio that might drag me back into the car world, but not if it's gonna be a huge hassle
    adam dont be lazy man, try to do something by yourself for once!!! Now go reseach and import that car in, then tell me how you did it!

back on topic: i cant find anything about non-running cars on the riv site, i might call them on next week to see if they have aay links for me.

Originally posted by finboy

any luck?

Damnit I saw all the information about it 3 days ago , let me look again. It was defiantly cheaper paying the RIV program.

Originally posted by riceeater

since this will be stickyed i'm sure, do you also have the fax number for us lazy biotches otherwise, where exactly are you sending these papers in whitelash? and do you mean that the owner faxed the papers over BEFORE the deal was made or after you guys signed it and you had the bill of sale or what not? just to be 100% sure, when you call, you call the border point that you intend to cross through right? thanks in advance meng
    Call the boarder 3 days , tell them your coming , they will fax you a sheet to fill out , you fax it back to them right away , then you fax a copy of the title.

Code: 3321
    Location Address: Port of Entry Road (Highway 409)
    Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
    Mailing Address: P.O. Box 71
    Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
    General Phone: (406) 432-5522
    Operational Hours: 9:00 AM-5:00 PM(Mountain)
    Seven Days A Week (7)

Description: A Port of Entry is any designated place at which a CBP officer is authorized to accept entries of merchandise to collect duties, and to enforce the various provisions of the customs and navigation laws (19 CFR 101.1).

Rolling Body Information.

20. Importers with damaged motor vehicles may claim that tariff item No. 9897.00.00 does not apply to their vehicle and that it should be classified as parts; however, a motor vehicle may be classified as parts only if damage to the vehicle has rendered it completely useless and it cannot be repaired for use as a motor vehicle. Damage must be substantial and evidence must be produced to establish that the vehicle cannot be rebuilt for road use.

21. All damaged used and second-hand motor vehicles, which are imported for parts, are to be classified under tariff item No. 8708.99.99 (classification No. 8708.99.99.90) as parts and accessories of a motor vehicle. In the event that such an importation includes an air conditioner specifically designed for use in a motor vehicle, the $100 excise tax is applicable.

22. The onus rests with importers to substantiate that motor vehicles are damaged to the extent that it would not be practical to repair them for highway use. Should customs officers not be satisfied that the vehicles are substantially damaged as to render them no longer repairable from a practical point of view for highway use, they may request additional documentation from importers. Such additional documentation can take the form of a signed declaration by a licenced automotive mechanic or a provincial vehicle inspector attesting to the fact that it is not practical to have the motor vehicle repaired for highway use. If an importer fails to comply with such a request, the vehicle in question is to be classified as a motor vehicle and be subject to tariff item No. 9897.00.00. In such cases, the importer should be advised of the re-determination and appeal provisions of sections 59 to 68 inclusive of the Customs Act.

23. Importers should be requested to sign the following declaration in those cases where the customs officer is satisfied that the vehicles may be imported for use as parts.

I do solemnly declare that these vehicles are damaged substantially to the extent that they cannot, from a practical point of view, be rebuilt for road use. I further certify that they are imported for the salvaging of parts only, and that the vehicles will never be made roadworthy for highway use.

(Signature)

24. With respect to motor vehicles imported for scrap, they are to be classified under tariff item No. 7204.49.00 as waste and scrap iron or steel. Prior to importation, they must be rendered unusable as either a vehicle or parts by one of five processes outlined in the Explanatory Notes to the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System [see Volume 3 waste and scrap, point A(2)].

And this.

Wrecked Vehicles Imported as Parts or Scrap - Clarification
    1. This notice is to clarify and reinforce Transport Canada's requirements for the importation of wrecked vehicles as parts or scrap.

2. For Transport Canada purposes, a salvage/scrap certificate of title (or a copy) must be presented at the time of importation to demonstrate that a wreck is deemed not a vehicle. Furthermore, such certificates must clearly indicate that such vehicles are non-rebuildable, non-repairable, junk, scrap, etc.

Acceptable Certificates of Title

3. Only certificates of titles issued by a foreign government licensing authority (e.g., a State of the United States) are acceptable. These documents may bear a heading of "Salvage Certificate of Title" or "Scrap Certificate of Title."

4. A wreck is deemed not a vehicle and can be imported as parts or scrap provided the importer submits a copy of the official certificate of title with the following terminology printed on it: junk, scrap, parts only, not to be rebuilt, non-repairable, non-rebuildable, salvage non-repairable, salvage non-rebuildable, or any other similar wording indicating that the vehicle is not salvageable (not rebuildable).

Unacceptable Certificates for Parts or Scrap

5. According to Transport Canada, documents issued by sources other than a foreign licensing authority to determine the status of a vehicle cannot be used. Therefore, the following documents are deemed unacceptable:

(a) certificates of titles omitting to print terminology stated in paragraph 4;

(b) official or temporary salvage certificates or certificates of title with "PARTS ONLY" stamped on it or hand-written;

(c) documents issued by insurance companies;

(d) official certificates of title that have been tampered with (i.e., altered or erased); or

(e) certificates of title with an application for change status.

Note: If any of the above documents are used to gain entry into Canada, the importer should be advised to return to the exporting country (e.g., to the U.S.) and obtain the proper certificate of title for parts or scrap to support the claim.

6. For example of an unacceptable certificate, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles issues "Salvage Certificates" without the appropriate terminology. With this type of certificates wrecked vehicles cannot be imported as parts or scrap, even if the "Insurance Company Use Only" box indicates "total loss." If the words "FOR PARTS ONLY" are stamped on them, the wrecked vehicles still cannot be imported as parts or scrap. Such vehicles can only be imported provided they are admissible and entered into the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program.

7. Vehicles entered into Canada by visitors and involved in accidents in which they are damaged beyond economical repair cannot be imported as parts or scrap because importers cannot obtain under these circumstances the appropriate parts or scrap certificate/title from a foreign government licensing authority while the vehicles remain in Canada.

No Certificate Required

8. The only instance where a wrecked vehicle may be imported as parts or scrap without the submission of a certificate is when the wreck is either substantially demolished (i.e., flattened), stripped-down to the point where only a small portion of the vehicle is present, or crushed or cubed by a vehicle compactor.

At the Time of Importation

9. Never document a wrecked vehicle imported for parts on a Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, and never enter it into the RIV program.

After Importation

10. Never document a wrecked vehicle imported as parts on a Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, even if the wreck vehicle was repaired and later reported as a complete vehicle. Parts remain parts, the status never changes.

Roles and Responsibilities

11. The customs officer is responsible for verifying the source of the certificate and interpreting its validity for parts or scrap. Should there be any discrepancy and the importer insist that Transport Canada authorized his claim, the authorization should be in writing. If the authorization is not in writing, it is not valid. Provided that Transport Canada's requirements are met, the customs officer has the final word on the release of the wrecked vehicle as parts or scrap.

Heres the price for parts
    Vehicles entering the RIV program with a form 3 (parts)
    $81.00 for vehicles entering through a port in Quebec
    $75.00 for vehicles entering through a port in any other province

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

hmmm, this vehicle isn't a write off, clean title, the guy just pulled the drivetrain from it so its a rolling chasis

no CLUE how i would get that through now

My Ride
    SRT

Call the boarder 3 days , tell them your coming , they will fax you a sheet to fill out , you fax it back to them right away , then you fax a copy of the title.

Code: 3321
    Location Address: Port of Entry Road (Highway 409)
    Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
    Mailing Address: P.O. Box 71
    Whitlash, MT 59545-0071
    General Phone: (406) 432-5522
    Operational Hours: 9:00 AM-5:00 PM(Mountain)
    Seven Days A Week (7)

Description: A Port of Entry is any designated place at which a CBP officer is authorized to accept entries of merchandise to collect duties, and to enforce the various provisions of the customs and navigation laws (19 CFR 101.1).
    i still dont understand why we're faxing crap to whitlash whe i want to cross through coutts/sweetgrass?? is that coz that's where their central office is? AGAIN, do I fax them the title AFTER we do the sale, or does he at that point fax the title in???????? he told me it'll be TEN days before the DMV sends him the new title so what the hell am i supposed to do in the mean time?? i'm not sending money for a car i've never driven, and i definately dont want to waste all that time down there... here's what the dude wrote to me... maybe this means something else to you

Quote Originally Posted by 04SpecV
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just spoke to my bank.

I would have to submit the payment VIA Check. It takes them 10 buisness days to go through the DMV and release the title. They then mail the title to me. I then would have to send it to you. I don't know if you need the title to get across the border or not? I will write you out a bill of sale.

Joshua
    so again, does he send in the current title to the boarder or do i have to wait till he has the new one?? also, i need to have the new one before i can get into canada right??? thanks

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

made some calls for a rolling chasis...

okay, it can be imported like a regular car, must pass an OOP w/i 45 days but doesn't need to be running, has to be road legal (headlights, DRL's, tail lights, seatbelts, suspension, etc.), has to have a steering wheel with airbag if it was equiped that way from the factory, seatbelt must be long enough to accomidate a child seat, spedometer must be in mph/km, must have all recal notices and recipts, but it can be accepted as a regular car if there is no salvage title

EDIT: interesting note, if the car has no motor, and the car required a recall on the motor, they could not give me a straight answer as to wether or not you would have to put the stock motor in and complete that recall
    Last edited by finboy; 12-29-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Originally posted by riceeater

i still dont understand why we're faxing crap to whitlash whe i want to cross through coutts/sweetgrass?? is that coz that's where their central office is? AGAIN, do I fax them the title AFTER we do the sale, or does he at that point fax the title in???????? he told me it'll be TEN days before the DMV sends him the new title so what the hell am i supposed to do in the mean time?? i'm not sending money for a car i've never driven, and i definately dont want to waste all that time down there... here's what the dude wrote to me... maybe this means something else to you

Quote Originally Posted by 04SpecV
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just spoke to my bank.

I would have to submit the payment VIA Check. It takes them 10 buisness days to go through the DMV and release the title. They then mail the title to me. I then would have to send it to you. I don't know if you need the title to get across the border or not? I will write you out a bill of sale.

Joshua
    so again, does he send in the current title to the boarder or do i have to wait till he has the new one?? also, i need to have the new one before i can get into canada right??? thanks

1. Call whitlash to tell them your importing a vehicle
    2. They fax you a sheet that you need to fill out , you fax it back
    3. Send the current OR new title , doesnt matter , I got my seller to send his out before i got to Cali.
    4. Go through whatever boarder you want , Whitlash just processes all imported cars.

My Ride
    SRT

1. Call whitlash to tell them your importing a vehicle
    2. They fax you a sheet that you need to fill out , you fax it back
    3. Send the current OR new title , doesnt matter , I got my seller to send his out before i got to Cali.
    4. Go through whatever boarder you want , Whitlash just processes all imported cars. [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks for dumbing that down for me

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast