Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by ercchry
    how would the graph above your post work Bill? wouldnt that fall under "you cant insure what you dont own?"
    Being a US example a lot of it doesn't apply to us. I had a conversation yesterday with one of the owners of a taxi outfit here in Calgary and he had some interesting insight on the topic. Apparently, Uber has had to defend A LOT of legal action in other cities because of insurance problems from their driver's.

The challenge is that to get proper insurance for something like this, it's sooooo expensive that it becomes economically unfeasible to be a private driver. So the choice is to either not do it or drive anyway and hope to gawd you don't hit anything. Truly I would like to figure out a better solution for this scenario and set up a special account for all the private drivers.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

so... saw this on FB... guess uber is actually coming soon then?

That can't be right is it?? so "up to $20" meaning that's like the best someone can make in an ideal situation. Most likely it would be closer to $15 on average. Minus, gas, expenses, car wear and tear, taxes, insurance etc. You'd be better off working at McDonalds??

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by BigMass

That can't be right is it?? so "up to $20" meaning that's like the best someone can make in an ideal situation. Most likely it would be closer to $15 on average. Minus, gas, expenses, car wear and tear, taxes, insurance etc. You'd be better off working at McDonalds??
    yeah it doesnt sound too good to me. i think uberx calgary would be a pretty shitty service to use with the type of people willing to drive for that kind of money.

unless thats gross salary, not gross revenue (if that makes sense?) ...then i could see some people doing it to subsidize their day jobs. budget ballers driving 10hrs a week to make those payments on the new benz-o

yeah it doesnt sound too good to me. i think uberx calgary would be a pretty shitty service to use with the type of people willing to drive for that kind of money.

unless thats gross salary, not gross revenue (if that makes sense?) ...then i could see some people doing it to subsidize their day jobs. budget ballers driving 10hrs a week to make those payments on the new benz-o
    if you take into account gas, brakes, tires, oil changes, maintenance, windshields and other stuff that messes up when you're driving full time. Insurance and other stuff... you're probably looking at $20/hour in expenses alone. At that point you'd be driving for free lol

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by BigMass

if you take into account gas, brakes, tires, oil changes, maintenance, windshields and other stuff that messes up when you're driving full time. Insurance and other stuff... you're probably looking at $20/hour in expenses alone. At that point you'd be driving for free lol
    well thats what i mean, perhaps it tracks km's... so you get your $20/hr for fares then $0.xx/km for the use of the car? but for a quick advertisement on FB its just easier to entice people with a simple hourly rate... which in most markets would be decent money for a non-skilled pick your own hours part-time gig

EDIT, i guess instead of guessing checking google helps

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-m...-driver-2014-6

so its gross revenue (minus 20% for uber)

EDIT2: sounds painful to be a driver

http://uberdriverdiaries.com/
    Last edited by ercchry; 09-26-2014 at 08:52 AM.

well thats what i mean, perhaps it tracks km's... so you get your $20/hr for fares then $0.xx/km for the use of the car? but for a quick advertisement on FB its just easier to entice people with a simple hourly rate... which in most markets would be decent money for a non-skilled pick your own hours part-time gig

EDIT, i guess instead of guessing checking google helps

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-m...-driver-2014-6

so its gross revenue (minus 20% for uber)
    so I guess we can expect most Uber cars to be econoboxes. Not that there is much wrong with that, I would be much happier getting a ride home in a 1980s CRX than waiting 2 hours for a cab on Saturday night.

After expenses, I am pretty sure most retail/food services jobs would pay better than this.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

this sounds fun too

We all know that driving for Uber is a very risky business. Probably at the top of the risk list is the insurance risk. If we’re involved in an accident we have to report it first to our personal insurance carrier. However, they will not cover you if you’re working for Uber. In fact, they’ll probably cancel your policy immediately. Then Uber’s insurance is supposed to kick in. However, you can’t drive for Uber without personal insurance! So if your personal coverage is cancelled, you’re not only out of insurance, you’re out of work. Oh, and it gets worse. Once you report your activities to your insurance company, it will make it nearly impossible to get personal coverage from any other company. And without insurance, you’re in violation of your state laws that require you to have insurance. Even if you don’t drive your car, you’re still required to have insurance. So all this means that if you’re involved in an accident while driving for Uber, you’re pretty much looking at having to sell your car and go car-less!skd255208sdcThen there are the risks that nobody foresees. For instance, on June 14th, I bought a new car. The last thing I was expecting were mechanical problems. But in less than two months, on August 13th, my car broke down. It simply wouldn’t start. I had to have it towed to the dealership. And after a few days the dealership told me they had no idea what was wrong with it or how to fix it! To make a very long story short, I’ll sum it up by saying, they had it for 31 days before they got it fixed. That meant I went 31 days with no Uber income. And it was totally unexpected. If Uber had been my sole source of income I would have been in BIG trouble!

Which brings up a good point that my friend Harry Campbell at The RideShare Guy has been making for a while now. Don’t rely on Uber as your sole source of income. You absolutely cannot do that. It’s a terribly risky move. There are just too many things that can go wrong, from getting into an accident to having a brand new car break down and out of service for over a month. If you’re the breadwinner for yourself or your family, you absolutely must have other sources of income.

Having a breakdown is just one of the many risks. There are others. Like the always present risk that Uber will again lower rates or that they’ll take on too many drivers resulting in a much lower income for you. So, please take my and Harry’s advice and make sure you have other sources of income.
    http://uberdriverdiaries.com/risky-business/

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

this sounds fun too

http://uberdriverdiaries.com/risky-business/
    You can get commercial insurance, sounds like the guy either didn't know or didn't want to pay for the proper insurance.

Every insurance company asks if you use your vehicle for business use. If you do your policy and premiums change, but you can indeed get proper insurance so not sure what this guys issue is.

the real shock is who the fuck would drive for them? I mean in Calgary they wont find anybody. The shittiest minimum wage job in Calgary pays more and is less risky. Fry cook at McDonalds would pay double.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by pheoxs

You can get commercial insurance, sounds like the guy either didn't know or didn't want to pay for the proper insurance.

Every insurance company asks if you use your vehicle for business use. If you do your policy and premiums change, but you can indeed get proper insurance so not sure what this guys issue is.
    the entire problem is commercial coverage is too expensive and you'd end up losing money... thats why uber has this BS insurance system in place

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think you'll be surprised how popular this is for drivers. Any "real" job involves commitment and scheduling. This is good for peole who may have an hour or two to kill on the weekend. it's not likely to be popular for people as a full-time gig.

Besides, there's rumours of this being a great way to find hookups. That should help bring in the drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Besides, there's rumours of this being a great way to find hookups. That should help bring in the drivers.
    "so i hear you uber drivers actually net, like $5/hr, thats hot... lets hookup"

or is it more like....

"hi, im a dirty crackwhore that needs a ride back to the trap house, how about a bj instead of money?"

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I think you'll be surprised how popular this is for drivers. Any "real" job involves commitment and scheduling. This is good for peole who may have an hour or two to kill on the weekend. it's not likely to be popular for people as a full-time gig.
    That's what I seeing it being. People install the app and if they are right near someone who needs a ride and they have some time to kill. It would be even better if people listed pickup and desired drop off locations. Find someone near you going in the same direction and pick up some cash for a trip you're making anyway.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Has wheels

I have no idea of how it all works for the drivers but I know I use this service when it's available and think it's fantastic. In my experience, it's been cheaper than cabs and it's a much better experience. I've used this in LA and NYC with no issues what so ever.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by pheoxs

It's not like there is just one kind of commercial insurance. Commercial insurance for a tradesman (work vehicle) is different from commercial insurance for courier work which is different again from a taxi driver (what this essentially is). And the PROPER commercial insurance for a venture like this is stupid expensive.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

We had an Uber driver in Lisbon that had a fairly new 5 series, he said he was doing pretty good Still, you need commercial insurance. Wouldn't want to deal with their insurance crap.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Model S

Uber is so awesome. I use it all the time. UberX is cheaper than cabs, you don't tip (you can't even tip), you don't exchange payment or listen to a cabbie bitch and moan about you wanting to use a CC.

You just type where you want to go, watch a car show up and take you there, get out, and go.

I think the $20/hour must be conservative.

It's for sure going to be cheaper than cabs but not by that much hah. 15 Min cab right out of DT is $20. So I'd say you could arguably make 30-40/hr in Calgary if they set it up properly, which would still be a way better alternative than a Cab.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

It's not like there is just one kind of commercial insurance. Commercial insurance for a tradesman (work vehicle) is different from commercial insurance for courier work which is different again from a taxi driver (what this essentially is). And the PROPER commercial insurance for a venture like this is stupid expensive.
    Definitely harder than delivering pizza/chinese food and ditch the invoice and say you've just bought 6 meals for personal use for a party in case of an accident.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast