Quantcast
Questions about carbon tax perceptions. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Questions about carbon tax perceptions.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

This is one of those times that I think the USA got it right.

If you want to target pollutants, target the manufacturers.

The states did it and mandated better fuel economy and cleaner emissions on vehicles available for sale in the states by a certain deadline. Any vehicles at that point that could not meet those targets would become ineligible for import, or if made domestically, unable to be sold.

The same can be done for other areas, such as coal power plants, steel manufacturing, whatever. Make the manufacturers adapt and adopt newer "green" technologies. Those that do adapt may even be able to undercut those that don't as processes may become way more efficient, and those that don't/won't adapt and face fines will become more expensive to the end base consumer.

Putting a consumption tax on the end users changes nothing. As mentioned before, my buddy isn't going to suddenly sell his 2.0L motorcycle and buy a vespa, nor am I going to sell my truck to buy a ford tranit. This tax scheme will not change end user behaviors as it is not punitive enough. Change the gas tax to $0.40 a liter increase, and then you will start to see meaningful change, but just look to Vancouver or the Maritimes to see how even that doesn't change anything.

Force the change at the point of origin or manufacture, and THAT will have a 100% penetration into the general public and make a FAR better impact.

As it is now, it is just a redistribution of wealth that does nothing for the environment.

And just as a side note, the Ford EcoBoost is a direct result of the CAFE legislation enacted in the states for better fuel economy and emissions. And you can't tell me that it is a shitty engine. Also, the huge uptick in Hybrid and electric vehicles are a direct result as well. And these are all vehicles that are talked about with great excitement in the community and in the public.
    Last edited by spikerS; 02-26-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Well yes. As stated before, the NDP are fucking idiots.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by suntan
    Well yes. As stated before, the NDP are fucking idiots.
    While I do share that sentiment, I believe the carbon tax should be implemented at a federal level, not a provincial one, and thus it should be: The Liberals are fucking idiots for telling the provinces to put it in place.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by zhao
    Your argument is as logical as charging gun manufacturers for murder, or blaming McDonald's for someone eating 6000 calories a day and getting fat.
    Hang on, I never said that's the way it should go, just that we have an image issue. McDonalds also had an image issue and now sells salads and wraps because they are smart enough to deal with the image issue despite consumption not being their fault. They could've buried their head in the sand and said "blame the fatties" and I bet they'd be a lot less profitable today.

Why are some people in this thread talking about air pollution and air quality in a discussion about carbon tax?

Are people confused? Don't understand the difference between CO and CO2?

Air pollution is a localized ground level health concern.

Carbon tax, carbon emission, greenhouse gas, climate change are all phrases referring to a different issue, which is the accumulation of CO2 in the upper atmosphere and its effects on global climate.

China takes cue for Trump it seems, the premier says, We Will Make our Skies Blue Again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-p...mise-1.4010722

"Stay on target... stay on target...."

Begs the question, if you are going to extert that much energy to extract pollutants from the air, maybe its just better to not put it in the air to start with (or build a higher smokestack)
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Inzane
    Why are some people in this thread talking about air pollution and air quality in a discussion about carbon tax?

Are people confused? Don't understand the difference between CO and CO2?

Air pollution is a localized ground level health concern.

Carbon tax, carbon emission, greenhouse gas, climate change are all phrases referring to a different issue, which is the accumulation of CO2 in the upper atmosphere and its effects on global climate.
    Because the carbon tax falls under the NDP "Climate Leadership Plan", and those idiots included "clean air" in the advertising they spent our money on to try and sell us the plan.

You're right, it is a localized ground level health concern (albeit not in our province).

I think they are more the same than different. Human emissions, pollution, whatever has impacted the whole planet, from Mariana's trench, to Mercury in the oceans, carbon and polutants In he air, toxic metals on the tip of mount everest.

We are disgusting slobs. Time to shape up all around.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4