Quantcast
Petition to include "size discrimination" in Human Rights Act - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to include "size discrimination" in Human Rights Act

Being morbidly obese is a greater threat to our health system and people than drugs and cigarettes/drinking are combined. Giving fat people - or anyone - special rights, is the wrong approach, and I don't want to live in a country that does it.

Being fat is a choice, I can speak from past experience, and I know how fattties claim that "it's a gland/thyroid/metabolic problem and blame that on not being able to lose weight. That feels, and IS somewhat real for them, as when you become morbidly obese, you can eat what every normal size person eats, and maintain, or even gain weight, as once you are morbidly obese your body's mechanics can and do change and slow down, causing this effect. So there is some legitimacy to a fatty's claim with the metabolic/etc excuse, but it doesn't change the fact that it's THEIR fault for getting fat in the first place, and causing their body to slow down how it processes energy.

I was a typical teenager, played hockey, football, ran track, etc. I got married pretty young, 22, and was not very happy with life. Wife made me sell my things that made me happy, new Stealth Turbo, new Firebird Ram Air, etc, to get the things she wanted, like a house, and so forth. I turned to food, and went from 6'1 210 to 375 lbs at my max. I stayed this way for 5 years, until I finally left her.

Fast forward 10 months later, and due to a very disciplined diet, and weight/cardio training 6 days am/pms a week with a pro trainer who worked with celebs and new what he was doing, I lost 40lbs in one month, and kept on dropping 20lbs a month after that, while building muscle. I had to starve, as my metabolics/etc had changed, and eating a normal diet that a person training as much as I was, I wouldn't have lost much fat. So, boo hoo to those who claim they can't lose weight - you can, anyone can, it's just a matter of finding that caloric number for YOUR body in its current state, that'll make you drop the fat. Also taking that number of calories and breaking into 6 small meals helps a lot too, combined with massive h20 intake.

Next time I saw my xwife 10 months later, she walked right by me and didn't recognize me even when I tapped her on shoulder and said hi. I was 230, and had a 35" waist and 19" biceps at that time, blown up, no longer fat, a power lifter type body.

As years went by, my metabolic/etc stuff returned to normal, and for the last 9 years I have eaten like a normal person, and have never gone above 220 except for one bulking stretch to 240 when I was power lifting and did that intentionally prior to a big cut. I don't lift much these days, cardio/flexibility training mostly, but am 214 this morning.

It can be done, I did it, I had to endure the feelings of starvation, and that's the big barrier, as fatties don't have the balls to put themselves through that month of "hell" to start getting on the right track - once you're on that track, it's more addictive than eating crap food and gaining weight, and the fat flies off quickly. It's similar to drug addiction and that initial withdrawal period addicts fear so much IMO - once through that initial "hell" period, addicts seem to normalize pretty quick with the right help. Fat people can too, it's just getting them to that point where they will actually do it.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by codetrap
    Whatever lets you sleep at night. Because you know, those fat people (niggers/jews/insert people here) don't really deserve to be treated with respect, because of their poor life choices. It's their fault.. poor life choices... whatever.. all reasons that it's ok to bully, shame, and generally disrespect them. After all.. they're inferior, or it's good for them, or there's a huge social cost... or it's acceptable to make fun of them because you're doing them some sort of service, or it's ok to punish them for being fat....

You can just ignore the fact that they're people, and continue to treat them as sub-human.. mocking and berating them in their attempts to enshrine in law their right to be treated as equal human beings.

Yeah.. totally different.....
    The problem is not people who are overweight/obese. It is the people who are trying to suppress science and facts by spreading their Fat Acceptance and Healthy At Every Size nonsense.

If they had their way, doctors would not be allowed to use scales in their offices, tell them their diabetes was caused by overeating, they'd have BMI and BMR removed as diagnostic tools and not allow doctors to refuse to operate on people who it's not safe to operate on.

The cost of physical inactivity and excess weight was $34 billion in 2013, compared to $19 billion for smoking. Excess weight is being normalized and celebrated in North America, when steps should be being taken to show the impact of it and curb the rising numbers. Instead, we're raising generations of people with no concept of health, portion sizes or what a healthy weight actually looks like.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by FraserB
    The problem is not people who are overweight/obese. It is the people who are trying to suppress science and facts by spreading their Fat Acceptance and Healthy At Every Size nonsense.

If they had their way, doctors would not be allowed to use scales in their offices, tell them their diabetes was caused by overeating, they'd have BMI and BMR removed as diagnostic tools and not allow doctors to refuse to operate on people who it's not safe to operate on.

The cost of physical inactivity and excess weight was $34 billion in 2013, compared to $19 billion for smoking. Excess weight is being normalized and celebrated in North America, when steps should be being taken to show the impact of it and curb the rising numbers. Instead, we're raising generations of people with no concept of health, portion sizes or what a healthy weight actually looks like.
    LOL.. Nice strawman argument. "They're trying to suppress science"..."If they had their way"... And then making up numbers to try to drive your point home.... unless you're using American numbers?

None of which is true, nor does it matter in one bit...... I see people who are struggling to not be discriminated against. Or made fun of, or mocked. Fat discrimination is real, and this thread only goes to prove that legal protection for discrimination against how a person looks is required.

Edit, Thanks for reminding me why I took a little vacation from beyond. Talking with you people is such a waste of time. Bye.
    Last edited by codetrap; 02-27-2017 at 02:26 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:31 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

More rules, more laws, it'll make the world better. Just you wait Jimmy, you'll see!!!!!

If you think this needs to be a LAW, you're part of what's wrong with the world.....we don't need a law for every single fucking thing in society.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

LOL.. Nice strawman argument. "They're trying to suppress science"..."If they had their way"... And then making up numbers to try to drive your point home.... unless you're using American numbers?

None of which is true, nor does it matter in one bit...... I see people who are struggling to not be discriminated against. Or made fun of, or mocked. Fat discrimination is real, and this thread only goes to prove that legal protection for discrimination against how a person looks is required.

Edit, Thanks for reminding me why I took a little vacation from beyond. Talking with you people is such a waste of time. Bye.
    You're going to call out a strawman after you're the one that's guilty of false equivalency? Nice hypocritical argument there...

Here's a refresher since you clearly don't have a clue as to logical fallacies.

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which two opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

My Ride

Coming from one of THE most intolerant, close-minded, "my view or the highway" kind of posters on here. YOU'RE the reason you needed to take a break from here, don't blame others.

L.
    O.
    L.

I used to think I misunderstood your posts, till it became apparent that you're so blinded by your own self-righteous train of thought that you couldn't even see it. There's not even anything wrong with that, or being that way, people should be true to their opinions. It's just hilarious how you deride everyone else who doesn't tow your line, you just try to clean your insults up with a few more passive aggressive nicety's than most.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

haha, fat people
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Here is the source for my made up numbers.

The Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA) is the national, independent, not-for-profit, voluntary association representing public health in Canada. CPHA’s members believe in universal and equitable access to the basic conditions which are necessary to achieve health for all Canadians.
    Seems like a shady organization and the references included in the paper are probably full of lies too.

http://www.cpha.ca/uploads/e-mail/cj..._e171-e177.pdf
    Last edited by FraserB; 02-27-2017 at 02:42 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

:
    “Unfortunately, appearance-based discrimination is not a protected ground under the Act. Adding appearance-based discrimination to the Alberta Human Rights Act is not just about protecting those who are fat. Protection against physical appearance discrimination means no one can lose their job or be denied housing because of body modifications, because of alopecia, scars, height, and many other differences that make us unique.”

I dunno, this is a weird argument, people choose to eat what they eat, exercise or not, take care of themselves, everyday choices that affect their physical/mental well being... They choose to modify their bodies, get tattoo's piercings etc(this is what they mean by body modification no?). They don't choose to have alopecia/scars/be tall and freaky lol... I mean, I don't think anyone should be discriminated against/shamed. But why Lump natural differences in with chosen differences? Very confusing approach in my opinion.

(I have nothing against "big" people or people with Body Mods, Just pointing this out lol)
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 02-27-2017 at 02:50 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

And FWIW, the US cost estimate is somewhere north of $300 billion, if this Bloomberg article from 2015 is correct.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-obesity-mount

You guys are arguing past each other.

-Obesity is a major problem that can and should be fixed. Correct

-We shouldn't treat people as sub humans. Correct

Here's what you guys are setting up in your minds as straw men:

-Obese people are human garbage

-We should completely enable obesity and celebrate it

Gman.45 gave an excellent example of the main problem with obesity but missed the most important aspect. Obviously willpower is the key to losing weight, but how does an obese person build up that willpower? And why is it so hard to do it when so many others have no problem abstaining from overeating? His own story provided the clues. He used food to deal with his depression/unhappiness and once he got rid of the main contributor to that negativity (his miserable marriage) he was able to power through the misery of losing weight. So why do people act as if the only component to losing weight is willpower? Why not address the underlying mental issues first (or at least at the same time) and then have a much higher rate of success?

Note that I'm talking about serious obesity, not putting on 30lbs because you're 30 and you like cheeseburgers until one day you decided to take up jogging and subbed in a green salad for cheese fries. I'm talking so fat that it impacts every aspect of a persons life but eating is the only thing that makes them happy

My Ride

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    But why Lump natural differences in with chosen differences? Very confusing approach in my opinion.
    Because lack of accountability for choices and decisions.

Everything is someone else's fault (much like Code's justification for his "vacation" ). This person is just using additional wording to justify her own issues, which are all she really cares about.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Whatever lets you sleep at night. Because you know, those fat people (****) don't really deserve to be treated with respect, because of their poor life choices. It's their fault.. poor life choices... whatever.. all reasons that it's ok to bully, shame, and generally disrespect them. After all.. they're inferior, or it's good for them, or there's a huge social cost... or it's acceptable to make fun of them because you're doing them some sort of service, or it's ok to punish them for being fat....

You can just ignore the fact that they're people, and continue to treat them as sub-human.. mocking and berating them in their attempts to enshrine in law their right to be treated as equal human beings.

Yeah.. totally different.....
    There is a huge difference between violating someone's rights and being insensitive or even "discriminating" with legitimate cause. You should not be allowed to refuse to hire someone for a manual labor job because an applicants skin is brown. But you should absolutely be able to refuse to hire someone who is overweight and will not be able to perform the job properly (I'm sure you will agree discrimination is completely warranted in that case and should not have laws that prevent peopl/employers from doing so). There absolutely is a difference....
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-27-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Originally posted by J-hop

There is a huge difference between violating someone's rights and being insensitive or even "discriminating" with legitimate cause. You should not be allowed to refuse to hire someone for a manual labor job because an applicants skin is brown.
    If I own a business, aren't my rights being violated by making it a crime to only hire whoever the heck I want?

Originally posted by Seth1968

If I own a business, aren't my rights being violated by making it a crime to only hire whoever the heck I want?
    No because you don't have right to discriminate based on skin colour. Is that what you are getting at? There is no right being violated there by forcing you to remove skin colour from the equation.

What I'm getting at is there are a mountain of cases in which discrimination against obese people is actually warranted. There are zero cases where skin colour discrimination is warranted. They are not even close to comparable.

Originally posted by J-hop

No because you don't have right to discriminate based on skin colour.
    I understand that, but my question is, "Why is that not my right, or anyone else's for that matter"?

It's my life, my opinion, and my personal business. Why should anyone else have the right to incriminate me in this regard? It should be my right / prerogative to only hire Asians for example.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I understand that, but my question is, "Why is that not my right, or anyone else's for that matter"?

It's my life, my opinion, and my personal business. Why should anyone else have the right to incriminate me in this regard? It should be my right / prerogative to only hire Asians for example.
    Well I mean, you just don't tell anyone that's what you're doing an act like its a coincidence if anyone notices, or make up some BS excuse... As if that doesn't happen every day anyway haha

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by JfuckinC

Well I mean, you just don't tell anyone that's what you're doing an act like its a coincidence if anyone notices, or make up some BS excuse... As if that doesn't happen every day anyway haha
    National post recently had an article on how the federal gov can't "mandate" everyone like islam/muslims. And they are right.

I have the right to dislike (even hate) whatever I want. Some of these laws are bullshit, well, actually the entire Charter is and should never have been put into law

Yea I guess I was getting at a more fundemental question of what right of yours is being violated at that point?

You can have the opinion that everyone with a certain skin colour should be punched in the face but creating laws that make it illegal to act on your opinion doesn't violate your rights. Stupid example I know. But I fail to see how I'm either case your rights are being violated?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast